BAFTA TV Awards 2014- Sun 18th May BBC One

1373839404143»

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Sarah Lancashire the first ex-soap star to win a BAFTA?

Ross Kemp? Not for acting though.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Ross Kemp? Not for acting though.

I did mean for acting but fair do's.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know about won but Sue Johnston (formerly Brookside but more recently Coronation St) was nominated in the 90s.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it in iPlayer and a fortuitous press of the skip button meant that I missed Cilla Black - result.

Why on earth were the old grannies on here whinging about Sheridan Smith's hair? I thought she looked fantastic,
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Just re-watched the Cilla bit. She seems to act most odd, from the red carpet chat, to the onstage speech, to the interview afterwards. Something isn't right with her, she seems to have aged 20 years within a few months.

She's also deluded. In the clip I saw, she repeated twice that she couldn't believe that the WHOLE audience stood up for her. Half of them stood up, but only after being embarrassed into doing it by a few others.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadchurch was half the show that Peaky Blinders was.

Broadchurch was formulaic, Peaky Blinders was a rare work of tv genius.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about won but Sue Johnston (formerly Brookside but more recently Coronation St) was nominated in the 90s.

She was nominated in 2000 for the Royle Family but didn't win. She lost out to Caroline Aherne.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    She was nominated in 2000 for the Royle Family but didn't win. She lost out to Caroline Aherne.

Did Anne Reid win last year?
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »

Peaky Blinders was really good but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to use the word 'genius'. Heavily influenced by Boardwalk Empire just as Broadchurch was ITV's attempt to copy The Killing.
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Academy_Television_Award_for_Best_Actress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Academy_Television_Award_for_Best_Actor

The supporting actor/actress categories have only existed for five years
  • crisso69crisso69 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I also thought Broadchurch was just an anglicised-ersatz version of The Killing.

What about Line of Duty Series 2? That was the Drama everyone was talking about, when it was being transmitted. Did it get a mention/nomination?
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crisso69 wrote: »
    What about Line of Duty Series 2? That was the Drama everyone was talking about, when it was being transmitted. Did it get a mention/nomination?

As far as I'm aware, series two will be eligible for nominations in 2015.

Compare with Broadchurch which began in March 2013 and received it's nominations for the award ceremony in May 2014, rather than the one in May 2013.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crisso69 wrote: »
    I also thought Broadchurch was just an anglicised-ersatz version of The Killing.

Maybe it was - but it was a well done rip on the Scandi-noir drama made accessible for an ITV audience.

Compare with Southcliffe which clearly wanted to be The Killing, got some A-list cast, added in some rugged scenery but then forgot to include a decent script into the mix. Hinterland is similar (though I gave up after the first upside)
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Anne Reid win last year?

No - she was nominated as Best Actress for Last Tango, but lost to Sheridan Smith for Mrs Biggs.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed The Returned, you get used to the subtitles..

I loved The Returned. Apparently there is going to be an American version of it on TV soon, so I will watch that as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    No. I don't watch much mordern telly programmes. I haven't heard of most of the things that have won. I have no idea what Gogglebox is, but as a gogglebox is a telly, the daftest thing I can imagine is that it's a programme about people giving their opinions of TV programmes.
    Like Points of View?

How can you say that if you have never watched it? It is very good and really entertaining. It is nothing like Points of View and is already in it's third series. Give it a try sometime. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kazziecon wrote: »
    [/B]

Neither me or my hubby watched it either! Won't now cos we know who did it! 😊

It's still worth watching. It was a brilliant programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not watch Broadchurch! Thing that turned me off viewing it was ITV's non stop advertising it.

Well, record it and fast forward the adverts then. We always do that with programmes that have adverts. You can start watching them twenty minutes in and it saves a lot of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Me too. :D

I want to watch Billy Elliot again now.

I watched it the other day and I still love it.
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »

I thought Peaky Blinders was badly cast to be honest, the whole gang just didn't look right and hardly tough looking.
  • ScoutletScoutlet Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised people complained about Jamaica Inn. I couldn't understand Sean Harris even after he mentioned he shouldn't mumble.

Maybe I should complain to OFCOM about problems with the sound at the BAFTAs

I'm glad he won. The BBC and even the director threw him to the wolves, basically saying his mumbling was the #1 cause of the complaints/problems. Not one of them said anything in defense of him or the other actors, the rest of whom did not even mumble.

He kind of got the last laugh. I'm glad he had the chance to make light of it, especially since even the host made a joke at the expense of the entire cast. I know it was a joke but it was not clever. The press already beat that drum to death and until now none of the actors had a chance to retort.

Also glad to hear that people on the street told him it was great. The media frenzy was so one-sided and drowned out all other voices.

I didn't even see the show for which he won, but I am glad he won and got to address it

I am not saying he didn't mumble in JI, but the hype was ridiculous IMO. I'm American and I didn't have much trouble understanding him. I had to pay attention but it wasn't that difficult. And the others didn't mumble at all.

Maybe we are just used to that from programs and actors over here, IDK. I only know I was amazed by the OTT reaction. It's a TV show, not a political corruption scandal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, record it and fast forward the adverts then. We always do that with programmes that have adverts. You can start watching them twenty minutes in and it saves a lot of time.

I didn't watch Broadchurch at first as I usually avoid ITV drama but I was persuaded to give it a try and I really liked it. Maybe it has become a little overrated as it's not The Killing but it's still one of the best British dramas in the last few years.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scoutlet wrote: »
    Also glad to hear that people on the street told him it was great. The media frenzy was so one-sided and drowned out all other voices.

I hope that comment was intentional ^_^
  • ScoutletScoutlet Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    I hope that comment was intentional ^_^

Somewhat. I probably should have made myself clearer….;-)