Saturday Night Live

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
The show has been going since
1975... topical, full of sketches..
spoofs. .. aimed at a young audience.

NBC kind of hit a goldmine there
the UK just dont have an answer.
They made a stab at it I remember, it spawned loads o money .... but they just didnt have the American enthusiasm....or work ethic ( on a sat night )

But Im wondering, how live is it ?
A great episode I saw was the one with Lindsay Lohan and the Harry Potter sketch.
wot a brilliant spoof !
go here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9t33MyJU6s&feature=related

somehow I cant see that being a part of a live television show, that must have been taped.

Another fab sketch in the same show was Debbie Downer in Disneyland ..... that sketch looked as if it was on live tv, they were all corpsing all thru , it was hilarious.
(looked on U Tube but could nt find it !)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I think ITV tried to bring it back in the mid 90s too, with Lee Hurst (Hirst?) but it didn't last.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A programme can be taped and played out again on the West Coast and still described as ''live'' providing it hasn't been edited from the original EDT broadcast.A programme that is actually broadcast live to all time zones can be called ''Live Live''. Some stations on the west coast show the network news shows at 3.30 pm local (6.30 pm in New York so they are live) others record and play-out at 6.30 local.There are anchors on the west coast to up-date if there's a major story change. If it's a massive story the New York anchor will stay behind and re-do the show.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    makes me wonder, where was the nbc saturday night live transmitted from... new york or la ?

Maybe LA is the big TV hub of America like it is the hub of the Hollywood Movies .

Maybe New York just finances things ?
    Forum Member
    wish I could find that debbie downer in disneyland sketch on U Tube, its hilarious ......

Ive got it on my hard drive somehwere, if I can find it Ill whizz it up to media fire
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    The show has been going since
    1975... topical, full of sketches..
    spoofs. .. aimed at a young audience.

NBC kind of hit a goldmine there
    the UK just dont have an answer.
    They made a stab at it I remember, it spawned loads o money .... but they just didnt have the American enthusiasm....or work ethic ( on a sat night )

But Im wondering, how live is it ?
    A great episode I saw was the one with Lindsay Lohan and the Harry Potter sketch.
    wot a brilliant spoof !
    go here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9t33MyJU6s&feature=related

somehow I cant see that being a part of a live television show, that must have been taped.

Another fab sketch in the same show was Debbie Downer in Disneyland ..... that sketch looked as if it was on live tv, they were all corpsing all thru , it was hilarious.
    (looked on U Tube but could nt find it !)

No, that sketch, as is most of them, was done live. SNL airs live at 11:30pm til 1:00am on the east coast. The west coast sees it on tape delay at the same time (11:30pm). SNL incorporates live sketches, filmed digital shorts, musical guests. If by chance a rude word escapes someone's lips by accident, that will never make it to the west coast.

One of the best and fun things is to observe a sketch go a little off because the actors lose it by laughing. They tend to just lose control which happened spectacularly on the classic Debbie Downer sketch. Sometimes it is done intentionally through ad libbing just to mess with that night's host. It's happened to Pierce Brosnan courtesy of Will Farrell who made him laugh a few times. It's happened to Hugh Laurie on both occasions when he hosted. They try to suppress it, but they don't quite succeed and that makes it even funnier than the sketch itself. :p

Finally, the famous opening line is Live From New York It's Saturday Night. That's because it is live from New York. It's home base/output comes from Studio 8H at 30 Rockefeller Center aka 30 Rock. ;)
    Forum Member
    well big up to NBC if they did that sketch on live TV ...

kind of shows up ITV and BBC does nt it ?

It was so good, I thought it must have been pre recorded !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time the programme hasnt been broadcast completely live are the two seperate times that Richard Pryor and Andrew Dice Clay hosted.
    Both at execs insistance (that the "F" word may be used).
    Ironically, the "F"word was used when John Belushi returned in 1980 to promote a punk band(Fear).
    Someone (not Belushi) screamed at the camera "f*** you New York"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mark01942 wrote: »
    The only time the programme hasnt been broadcast completely live are the two seperate times that Richard Pryor and Andrew Dice Clay hosted.
    Both at execs insistance (that the "F" word may be used).
    Ironically, the "F"word was used when John Belushi returned in 1980 to promote a punk band(Fear).
    Someone (not Belushi) screamed at the camera "f*** you New York"!

I remember when that happened. Um...at the end of the night's show, when everyone gathers on stage for their final bow, the comedian, Charles Rocket, used the "f" word. I remember saying, whoa, did he just say that? :p He was fired along with others when time came for the usual end of season cast/crew overhall. That little blurting out did him in. Over the years he battled his much publicised demons. Sadly, he committed suicide several years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0734236/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1975-1980 is the definitive S.N.L. in my opinion.
    It regained it's stride somewhat in the very late 80's/early 90's (with Phil Hartman/Chris Farley etc.)
    But i still LOVE the Belushi / Aykroyd era!
    Nice to speak with someone who also appreciates the Show.
    From your post, Im guessing you're American? (or were in The States at the time?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I've seen a good few sketches from SNL, and i like to style the comedy is presented on the show. The american style of comedy is great imo. I think they manage to ad lib so well, nothing seems too forced either

Amy Poelher cracked me up, so did tina fey. Adam Sandler, mike myers too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It regained it's stride somewhat in the very late 80's/early 90's (with Phil Hartman/Chris Farley etc.)
    From your post, Im guessing you're American? (or were in The States at the time?)

I still get upset when I look at old Phil Hartman skits, absolutely loved him!

SNL has had its ups and downs over the years, I think my favourite era was late 80s / early 90s, then when a lot that cast left, they had quite a few good and well known comedians on it (ie Chris Elliott) but was an awful couple of years until Jimmy Fallon and Rachel Dratch joined and Tina Fey stepped up her writing.

You can find a few good quality skits on funnyordie.com, but beyond that the show is pretty quick to take off youtube versions.

Try looking up the skit 'White Like Me' with Eddie Murphy, that's in my top ten favourite skits and it is around on the internet somewhere!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right. There was a period there where it went bad, but that is bound to happen with a long running show. There are skits today there are hit or miss, but I still find the show funny and so full of talent. I find that SNL's strengths lean towards the political. They truly excel there.

As for Phil Hartman, man I miss him. What an incredibly funny man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You guess right, I'm a Yank. ;)

Belushi/Aykroyd are classic SNL. I mean we are talking about the original Not Ready For Primetime Players. :D

By the way, you mentioned Chris Farley and I quickly flashed back to the skit he did with the late Patrick Swayze. The one where both are auditioning to be Chippendale dancers. Incredibly funny. Farley was so flexible for someone so heavy. Did you ever see that one?
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the first time I saw SNL, it was late night LWT around '77. It was the Pete and Dud episode and from there I was hooked. I borrowed the album of the best bits of the first two years of SNL from the local library, waited years to see stuff on VHS, still get upset everytime I see Belushi (yes he could be an arse at times.... But he was a dancer!) and got very nostalgic seeing that Pete and Dud episode on Sky for the first time in 34 years a few weeks back. The show does go through highs and lows, and of course if you don't know American 'culture' you're a bit stuffed but to think what has come out of this show over the years and continues to, it's an institution. The Spinal Tap team, Billy Crystal, Robert Downey Jr, Conan O'Brien, Al Franklin, Martin Short etc etc.. As well as the obvious Ferrells, Ackroyd, Murray and even Morwenna Banks are all products of SNL. To this day sketches like the Nixon/Kissenger last day is still remembered as one of the most controversial things shown on UStv, and the tradition still goes on, Fey as Palin, Armison as Obama, Hammond as Connery ("I'll take the rapists for 200 Alex". "That's therapists...."). All brilliant stuff. I've gone on a bit too long here haven't I? Sorry but that what the show does to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the Chris farley / Patrick Swayze sketch!.:D
    From memory, that Show starts with Swayze dancing and singing, when he adds(in tune) "take your partners to the right-Live from New York It's Saturday Night!!!" Great play on words there!*
    I also remember a brilliant Farley sketch where he plays a professional wrestler who has got in the wrong line and ends up meeting the president! ("Wooaaahhh Clin-ton!!!")*
    I like Farley, pity he suffered the same untimely fate as Belushi-EXACTLY the same fate ironically, same age, same cause of Death.:cry:
    Phil Hartman is another fave! (sadly no longer with us either!)-His Clinton, Charlton Heston and Frank Sinatra are unbelievable:D
    SkyArts are showing doubel bills of 70's S.N.L. every Saturday night (ahem!) at 11-in case anyone is not aware?
    *It's been a few years since I saw these sketches so my memoery might have faded somewhat!
  • TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was over in the US at the time of the 2008 election and SNL became a 'must see' for the Tina Fey/Amy Poehler Sarah Palin/Hillary Clinton gags. I didn't know much about the rest of the cast at the time but was particularly impressed with Seth Myers.

I've caught a few of the Sky Arts re-runs, which are good to see, if very dated!
    Forum Member
    Elton John was on the show recently
    .... wot did he look like ?
    He must be going through his fat Elvis phase !

The Laugh In was great TV in the 60s but compared to SNL it seems like a flash in the pan
    (and prob was nt live either ! )
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bump but i've always wondered why a UK version of Saturday Night Live has never been made or if it has why was it cancelled considering the US version has ran for over 30 years and we have some great comedians and actors in Britain who could take part.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bump but i've always wondered why a UK version of Saturday Night Live has never been made or if it has why was it cancelled considering the US version has ran for over 30 years and we have some great comedians and actors in Britain who could take part.

It does seem a bit odd that we haven't got something similar. We need something satirical and a bit anarchic to shake things up a bit.
    I think the closest we came were those Saturday Night Clive shows that Clive James did a long time ago. ( Sad to hear the poor guy is terminally ill :( )