Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It's the show's D Day moment. It's extremely expensive to make and the costs can't be recouped later on like Broadchurch with repeats and DVD sales, so ITV need to see clear profit on this year's run. The broadcaster has committed to another three series and should it start to fall, it will prove costly.
    Yet until the show beds in this year, we'll see how TXF does. I think ITV are hoping for it to do a BGT and average 9-10 million, which is very good, but should it start to fall again, then alarm bells will ring.
    ITV got Ben Winston's production company to do the trail -- doubt this was done in-house, so cost shouldn't be a major problem on the advertising side.

But yes, it's make or break for them.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some interesting stuff in Broadcast this week...

* Among the new features shows for C4 are Damned Designs, a series about people who have fallen foul of planning laws which is supposed to be "eccentric", The Shut-Ins about obesity which sounds like televised interventions and Sarah Benny's Clicks and Mortar (a working title, thank goodness) where people try and sell their own homes. Apparently the aim is for them all to be "warm" and "joyful" like Dawn O'Porter's Vintage Clothes Show (which I know hasn't been setting the ratings alight, but I've watched it every week and liked it).

* Among the new observational documentaries, alongside BBC2's forthcoming series on NatWest and ITV's on Virgin Atlantic, BBC1 are doing a series behind the scenes at Coral the bookies and C5 are doing a series on Marston's Brewery.

* That celebrity holiday show with Len Goodman mentioned earlier this week is, unsurprisingly, a daytime show. Sounds like a 9.15 one to me.

* Sky 1 have commissioned The Kings and Queens of Speech to fill the 8pm slot they want to target, which follows kids during school debating competitions which'll probably do nothing in the ratings, I reckon

* This was in the papers the other day but there's a pro-celebrity darts competition for Comic Relief, which is going to be on BBC2 almost certainly in the same slot as that dog training show they did for Sport Relief this year

* According to my dad they've already started trailing this but C5 have bought theFTA rights to series four of The Walking Dead by popular demand, much to my dad's delight because he really likes it

* Some interesting Commonwealth Games fugures for the first week too...
    Thursday 7-10pm
    BBC1 network: 3.6 million (21%), previous week 3.4 million (19%)
    BBC1 Scotland: 613,000 (38%), previous week 286,000 (19%)

Friday 7-10pm
    BBC1 network: 3.2 million (18%), previous week 4.2 milion (24%)
    BBC1 Scotland: 431,000 (30%), previous week 382,000 (24%)

Saturday 7-10.10pm
    BBC1 network: 3.1 million (20%), previous week 3.1 million (18%)
    BBC1 Scotland: 484,000 (33%), previous week 434,000 (26%)

Sunday 7.10-10.05pm
    BBC1 network: 3.5 million (18%), previous week 4,5 million (22%)
    BBC1 Scotland: 453,000 (27%), previous week 349,000 (21%)
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Friday entertainment series was, of course, Your Best Shot with Marti Caine, which ended after only five shows. However, while Caine was indeed ill at that point, I'm not sure it ended so abruptly because of that, because she didn't die for a couple of years after it and I think she was in remission at the time. It was really bad, it may well have been abandoned for that reason, or because they ran out of money.
    I couldn't remember what it was called. I remember watching part of the first edition and not liking it. I have a vague memory of reading something about it rating badly, but I can't remember any figures. It might even have been in the same article about BBC1 getting dismal figures for the Dick Emery compilations they showed against Morse that January.

I don't know how you could go down to two million on a Saturday night in 1993, they rarely go that low now, and ITV only had a London's Burning repeat in opposition. I don't know where else you'd go. That said, they neveer repeated House of Elliot again, so maybe it was a big flop.
    It wasn't a particularly warm summer, either. A hot spell at the end of June, then very cool for two months.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Here's the XFactor's £1million official promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y70v457qwU0

It's not even that good, doesnt even look that expensive. It hardly makes a big impact.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think as well if you want to do light versions of Jeremy Kyle, 2pm is the worst slot to put it in because you're getting a lead-in from the news, which is totally unsuitable. It needs something far brasher alongside it.
    I think if people want to watch a Jeremy Kyle type show they'll watch Jeremy Kyle. Kyle light doesn't work and certainly not at 2pm.
    Indeed, my gran used to love it. I know what you mean about just moving the news to 12.30 is simply rearranging the deckchairs but it's pretty obvious that Bargain Hunt is going to win its slot regardless of what's there because it's such a big show. So if you're going to put anything up against it, surely you may as well put the news there so you're not frittering away something more expensive. But as it stands you're missing loads of BBC1 junctions so everyone turns over for Bargain Hunt, nobody turns back at 1pm because ITV are in the middle of something, then nobody turns over after the news because ITV are still showing the news which you've just watched, then nobody turns over after Doctors because again ITV are in the middle of something. So you've just written off 12-3, more or less. If they hit the junction at 1pm, at least there is an obvious jumping in point for people who like Bargain Hunt but don't want to watch the news.

And I know everyone says this, but it would mean This Morning and Loose Women aren't next to each other when they're exactly the same. I don't know why this has persisted for so long.
    I'm sure Des and Mel were getting close to 2m some days. Like a British Regis & Kelly, it worked there. I don't know why but Loose Women following This Morning just feels too similar. And that's despite Loose Women technically being more different format wise to This Morning than Des and Mel was.

We keep saying that there needs to be clear daylight between This Morning and Loose Women by at least an hour.
    The Friday entertainment series was, of course, Your Best Shot with Marti Caine, which ended after only five shows. However, while Caine was indeed ill at that point, I'm not sure it ended so abruptly because of that, because she didn't die for a couple of years after it and I think she was in remission at the time. It was really bad, it may well have been abandoned for that reason, or because they ran out of money.
    That show wasn't very good and I say that as a Marti Caine fan.
    I don't know how you could go down to two million on a Saturday night in 1993, they rarely go that low now, and ITV only had a London's Burning repeat in opposition. I don't know where else you'd go. That said, they neveer repeated House of Elliot again, so maybe it was a big flop.

Of course, as we know, Danny Baker's catchphrase on Pets Win Prizes was "It's your licence fee at work", but they cut it out every week. The problem with Dale is that he started taking it seriously, which wasn't right.

I like the irreverence of Danny Baker but he just couldn't become a mainstream star. Pets Win Prizes was better suited to Dale but he lacked Baker's humour.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Here's the XFactor's £1million official promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y70v457qwU0

It's not even that good, doesnt even look that expensive. It hardly makes a big impact.

Again tabloid rumours. Just like that EastEnders car crash stunt which supposedly cost £1m.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    * According to my dad they've already started trailing this but C5 have bought theFTA rights to series four of The Walking Dead by popular demand, much to my dad's delight because he really likes it.
    They're not messing about with this one. Back with a double bill a week tomorrow.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    Well all you'd need to do is put up a message saying this game/event continues on BBC Two now. I really don't get why viewers have so much trouble changing to a channel which available to all.

BIB: Funny that, I say the exact same thing about Eastenders.

Eastenders does not deserve special treatment. It's lazy, conveyor belt television. There are 200 episodes on every year and nothing of note happens in 90% of them. So what's the problem with sticking 5 of them on BBC2 in the middle of a boiling hot summer. The ratings weren't much lower than they would have been on BBC1 -not against the Commonwealth Games , when they're telling BBC1 viewers to switch over to BBC2 to continue watching what they've just been watching on BBC1.

The BBC should not just be about ratings and they made exactly the right decision about scheduling the Commonwealth Games. It's only for 11 days - in the middle of a boiling hot summer. And BBC1 starts a wealth of new programmes from next Tuesday.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    BIB: Funny that, I say the exact same thing about Eastenders.

Eastenders does not deserve special treatment. It's lazy, conveyor belt television. There are 200 episodes on every year and nothing of note happens in 90% of them. So what's the problem with sticking 5 of them on BBC2 in the middle of a boiling hot summer. The ratings weren't much lower than they would have been on BBC1 -not against the Commonwealth Games , when they're telling BBC1 viewers to switch over to BBC2 to continue watching what they've just been watching on BBC1.

The BBC should not just be about ratings and they made exactly the right decision about scheduling the Commonwealth Games. It's only for 11 days - in the middle of a boiling hot summer. And BBC1 starts a wealth of new programmes from next Tuesday.

I know it's amazing the sense of entitlement EE fans feel. The show has prime-time constantly, is giving mass hype, all-year round with irritating ads on radio and TV. Will always ruin every Bank holiday. Yet we get talk of how disgracefully it's been treated. Bloody hell, if only my fave shows could be so badly treated.

Oh and it's great that the Beeb will be freed on Monday for proper TV in primetime. enders, then a repeat of Room101 and Death in Paradise. Yay for quality Summer TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Singer Takes It All is top trend on twitter. People are saying it is must watch television and a lot of fun. Could become a hit for C4 and take the wind out of Rising Stars sails.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    The Singer Takes It All is top trend on twitter. People are saying it is must watch television and a lot of fun. Could become a hit for C4 and take the wind out of Rising Stars sails.

Trendinvg on twitter rarely rates well though, getting slated on DS, though that could mean nothing either? Missed it myself, was watching Bolt.:)
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well its nice to see The Last Leg on Channel 4 tonight, Much better then Commonwealth Games and Big Brother.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First five tweets I see:

1) Complete and utter tosh I'm afraid. Normally love @AlanCarr but it was a shambles tonight #TheSingerTakesItAll
    2) #TheSingerTakesItAll is #Blackmirror turning into real life
    3) #TheSingerTakesItAll Shockingly bad, and when true talent doesn't even when it makes it worse! I won't be watching again, such a shame :/
    4) An hour I will never get back #TheSingerTakesItAll
    5) So disappointed with #TheSingerTakesItAll app I couldn't even vote :-( but on the + side @AlanCarr makes me laugh as usual. Hope its fixed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Trendinvg on twitter rarely rates well though, getting slated on DS, though that could mean nothing either? Missed it myself, was watching Bolt.:)
    People are saying it was unmissable television. It was so bad, that it was good kind of way, people couldnt stop watching. They have little quirks and gimmicks in the show like a speaking lip which has got people talking. This could become a hit.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's amazing the sense of entitlement EE fans feel. The show has prime-time constantly, is giving mass hype, all-year round with irritating ads on radio and TV. Will always ruin every Bank holiday. Yet we get talk of how disgracefully it's been treated. Bloody hell, if only my fave shows could be so badly treated.

Oh and it's great that the Beeb will be freed on Monday for proper TV in primetime. enders, then a repeat of Room101 and Death in Paradise. Yay for quality Summer TV.

BBC1 launches new shows every night next week from Tuesday. There are just three Mondays until Bank Holiday. Asides from New tricks starting soon, there isn't much point launching new series in the 8.30pm Panorama slot that will fill it from September.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New channel TruTV, owned by Turner Broadcasting and launching across all major platforms next week, has been advertising on terrestrial channels this evening.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it really was bad. I don't think even Alan Carr will save this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    it really was bad. I don't think even Alan Carr will save this
    Is Carr the sort of presenter who could "save" anything, anyway? He's reasonably well liked but not universally so (some find his accent a bit grating, for example) and his chat show only does okay. But he's largely inoffensive and probably well suited to this type of format.

I didn't see it so can't comment on the content or quality, however it's undoubtedly the viewing figure I've been anticipating the most this week. It could be anything, really. Not much buzz in the run up but it stood out on a quiet night elsewhere and social media got involved in a big way.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    People are saying it was unmissable television. It was so bad, that it was good kind of way, people couldnt stop watching. They have little quirks and gimmicks in the show like a speaking lip which has got people talking. This could become a hit.

Wishful thinking perhaps, as you hope it will act as an effective spoiler for Rising Star? ;-)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Repeats next Monday on BBC1 because BBC2 is showing the events commemorating the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Is Carr the sort of presenter who could "save" anything, anyway? He's reasonably well liked but not universally so (some find his accent a bit grating, for example) and his chat show only does okay. But he's largely inoffensive and probably well suited to this type of format.

I didn't see it so can't comment on the content or quality, however it's undoubtedly the viewing figure I've been anticipating the most this week. It could be anything, really. Not much buzz in the run up but it stood out on a quiet night elsewhere and social media got involved in a big way.

it was a pretty weird format they stuck some booze by his side then some guests who to be honest didn't need to be there. Viewing figures will be interesting wonder if they will show a drop off as the show progressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    it was a pretty weird format they stuck some booze by his side then some guests who to be honest didn't need to be there. Viewing figures will be interesting wonder if they will show a drop off as the show progressed.
    The show's USP was supposed to be the interactivity i.e. the app and according to reports that had to be ditched due to technical problems. Not ideal. :blush:
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    £1M seems an awful lot of money to spend on a trailer, especially for a channel serving up a plentiful number of reruns and other low key programming at the moment.

What's interesting about it though is it suggests ITV aren't entirely confident that the return of Simon/Cheryl is going to work the oracle on its own. They're having to push harder than they've ever pushed before in just about every respect. For a 10 year old format with more competitors - especially indirect - than ever before, it's one hell of a gamble and regardless of whether it works or not, not one I approve of when ITV have both the funds and resources to be far more innovative with their entertainment approach.

Across a 45 hour series, it's not very much really. Especially when you consider that it almost certainly didn't cost £1m.

As for ITV's confidence, the fact it was directed by Ben Winston tells you all you need to know about who was pushing this one. Same as when Cowell returned to BGT in 2012 with that Avengers/Royal trailer which was also supposedly wildly expensive (and far superior to this one!). And it's a judge heavy trailer, playing up to Cowell/Cole being back rather than something else (last year for instance, when the panel wasn't cause for confidence they used the 10 year angle with the mash up and the girl in her garden trailer).
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It's the show's D Day moment. It's extremely expensive to make and the costs can't be recouped later on like Broadchurch with repeats and DVD sales, so ITV need to see clear profit on this year's run. The broadcaster has committed to another three series and should it start to fall, it will prove costly.
    Yet until the show beds in this year, we'll see how TXF does. I think ITV are hoping for it to do a BGT and average 9-10 million, which is very good, but should it start to fall again, then alarm bells will ring.

You say this often Glenn but I'd be fascinated to know exactly what costs need to be recouped? :D

There's not some kind of "breakeven" issue with X Factor or indeed Broadchurch (and those repeat and DVD revenues go to Kudos anyway). The vast majority of shows ITV broadcasts, even the flops, make back their production budget. It's why they persist with cheap factual on Tuesdays.

The top tier make profits wildly out of line with the costs and pay the overheads and contribute the profit.

It was one of the most shambolic live broadcasts I have ever seen. The format is hideously flawed as well. Car crash TV - I might have been watching through my fingers, but at least I was watching.

I think the launch might have done OK (Carr, lots of promo, no competition, sounds like they did get a lot of votes). But I highly doubt it will hold up across the run unless people take it as a bit of a laugh because of how awful it is.

It's also effectively a retread of Don't Stop Me Now on Sky1 a few years back.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Across a 45 hour series, it's not very much really. Especially when you consider that it almost certainly didn't cost £1m.

As for ITV's confidence, the fact it was directed by Ben Winston tells you all you need to know about who was pushing this one. Same as when Cowell returned to BGT in 2012 with that Avengers/Royal trailer which was also supposedly wildly expensive (and far superior to this one!). And it's a judge heavy trailer, playing up to Cowell/Cole being back rather than something else (last year for instance, when the panel wasn't cause for confidence they used the 10 year angle with the mash up and the girl in her garden trailer)
    The X Factor trailer was well made but I found it dull. Didn't make me laugh or feel excited. Gets the message across that it's back I suppose but just feels a bit hollow.
    It was one of the most shambolic live broadcasts I have ever seen. The format is hideously flawed as well. Car crash TV - I might have been watching through my fingers, but at least I was watching.

I think the launch might have done OK (Carr, lots of promo, no competition, sounds like they did get a lot of votes). But I highly doubt it will hold up across the run unless people take it as a bit of a laugh because of how awful it is.

It's also effectively a retread of Don't Stop Me Now on Sky1 a few years back.
    Next Friday at 9pm BBC2 has their Bake Off spin off show. I think that will do better than The Singer Takes It All.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An update for Eastenders June Iplayer monthly average ratings, based on the entries that appear in the Iplayer top 20 each month:

Jan - 1.19m
    Feb - 1.32m
    Mar - 1.04m
    Apr - 1.12m
    May - 1.08m
    Jun - 1.04m

Jan - 1.07m
    Feb - 837k
    Mar - 824k
    Apr - 844k
    May - 833k
    Jun - 849k