What a dreadful series this is - 2011

HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
Forum Member
I have just been spending some considerable time looking back at past winners and dancers on earlier SCD series and this brings me to the conclusion that this current one is the worst I've seen, from so many aspects.
The main culprits being the standard of the amateurs, the behaviour of the judges and the general tawdriness of the whole presentation. This culminated in the dreadful, gawdy, noisy shambles that was the show from Wembley at the weekend.

I have always been critical of the types of music chosen for the dances but this series has to be the worst ever. Even as a once ballroom dancer, if I don't concentrate of the programme, I am sometimes at a loss to know which dance they are supposed to be dancing as, invariably, the music gives no clues whatsoever.

I had high hopes, perhaps, for Harry J but fear that he won't win, now. A female dancer (say, Chelsee) may stand a chance as she can be dragged around the floor by her professional partner

The producers have got a lot to answer for, in this current SCD shambles.

Comments

• Loracan1Loracan1 Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I daresay if you searched through this forum you'd find the same thing said, every year, since it started!
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loracan1 wrote: »
    I daresay if you searched through this forum you'd find the same thing said, every year, since it started!

Nope, it's definately not a good year.
  • Cat.JCat.J Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you OP. I watch very little TV and Strictly is one of the things I look forward to every year. But this year I've been so disappointed by the poor standard of the dancing, Len's infantile behaviour, certain judges' blatant favouritism, too much over-marking (take a bow all of you judges except Craig), poor music choices, and most of all by the shambles that was Wem-ber-ley.

I'd like to see it return to being a dancing competition with a bit of entertainment, rather than an entertainment show with a bit of dancing. But I won't hold my breath.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now Russell's gone we're left with too many dull celebs. Namely Jason, Harry, Alex, Robbie, Holly, which leaves the dim Chelsea and the simpering Anita. Hardly an inspiring bunch. Not to mention the ott razamataz.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    Now Russell's gone we're left with too many dull celebs. Namely Jason, Harry, Alex, Robbie, Holly, which leaves the dim Chelsea and the simpering Anita. Hardly an inspiring bunch. Not to mention the ott razamataz.

A very good summarisation.
    Perhaps next year the judges should take on mentoring roles, like in X-Factor?
    Len - The over 40's
    Alesha - The girls
    Bruno - The boys
    Craig - ??
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to agree. SCD is a shadow of its former self.

The camera work is terrible. You hardly EVER see someones feet and when you do they are about 1000 miles away (like the long shots at wembly - I needed a magnifying glass).
  • I heart KellyI heart Kelly Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    have to agree. SCD is a shadow of its former self.

The camera work is terrible. You hardly EVER see someones feet and when you do they are about 1000 miles away (like the long shots at wembly - I needed a magnifying glass).

spot on

after about 20 minutes on saturday I was unable to continue watchin as the camera work made me feel like I had been on a roller coaster after eating a bucketfull of dodgy mussels!

totally hating this series
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    razor blades all round then :cry::cry::cry:

I'm enjoying it. :D Apart from the dodgy camera work, the crap music, the glitter, sequins and feathers and stuff (not fond of camp) and many of the performers... it's great. Love Chelsee and Pasha very much (something real in their working relationship and also the development of her talent), am enjoying Jason (after a battle with his personality) and somewhat appreciating Harry (he has something). Then there's the ongoing Holly-Artem-Brendan thing. And Craig. Craig's great. If they could just sort out the guest musicians and the pointless VTs, we'd be on track. :D Seems to me.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,175
    Forum Member
    I guess that I must be mellowing in my old age, and am obviously easily pleased, because I am loving it,
    especially since Anton left. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    spot on

after about 20 minutes on saturday I was unable to continue watchin as the camera work made me feel like I had been on a roller coaster after eating a bucketfull of dodgy mussels!

totally hating this series

Well I have to agree with almost all you say.
    I'm not TOTALLY hating the series because I love Chelsee, and there have been lots of fun moments and even one or two good dances! But as everyone says, there have been far too many poor dances, to poor music choices (because of this wretched 'themed weekend' business) too many poor dresses (come back Sue), Len's bad temper this year and just a complete loss of proper dancing. I too watch almost no TV but Strictly has always been my 'something to look forward to on Autumn Saturdays', However this year's series has been such a let down, and Saturday's debacle from Wembley was grim . Maybe it was OK if you were there, but on TV the sound was awful and all the dashing about, up and down stairs, camers zipping about all over the place, flashing lights etc gave me headache. NEVER again please. Can we go back to lovely dancing, in lovely dresses, to lovely appropriate music, without gimmicks, on a ballroom floor please ?
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't miss watching the show, but it has got to be one of the worst as far as the standard of dancing goes. I like the celebs, but there's precious little WOW prospects amongst them.

My biggest gripe is the producers messing about with the order of dances. Give me two three dances each week in the first half of the series any day, over the unfair and confusing jumble we've seen this year.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't miss watching the show, but it has got to be one of the worst as far as the standard of dancing goes. I like the celebs, but there's precious little WOW prospects amongst them.

My biggest gripe is the producers messing about with the order of dances. Give me two three dances each week in the first half of the series any day, over the unfair and confusing jumble we've seen this year.
    From my point of view, the music has been the biggest detractor from me enjoying SCD. If the music isn't in the idiom of the dance then, generally, that dance fails to please.
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    i used to like when they had two dances to choose from each week so we would know what were getting and i did like lens warning that hes going to start marking down as there are lifts going in all over the place when the american smooth is the place for them.
  • SwiftishSwiftish Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also find this series of Strictly poor, and Wembly did not work on Saturday, it was too big a venue, too big a stage and seemed to be just for the dancers, celebs and judges to enjoy a wow venue with loads of people. It certainly did not come across well on TV. What happened to Blackpool (?) which has been brill, large enough to have a great atmosphere and more people have tickets but small enough for the camera shots to work.

I find its often the case with shows like this, that a fantastic year is followed by a poor one. This year it seems a bit lacklustre, so I'm already looking forward to next year!!
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    'Dreadful' is a bit hyperbolic but I don't think this has been a vintage year for Strictly.

In summary: more annoyances and seemingly less quality dancing than the better series.

Ironically the ratings are very good but I don't really know if that's because the opposition is weaker this year or what.
  • Charmaine CamerCharmaine Camer Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I think the final is to be at Blackpool, isn't it?
    I am enjoying it this year, but haven't decided which celebrity to support yet - which is unusual for me.
  • Lizzie60Lizzie60 Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Not a good year at all. A few good dancers, but nothing to get you out of your arm chair cheering.
    Anita would have been out week 3 on any other year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    'Dreadful' is a bit hyperbolic but I don't think this has been a vintage year for Strictly.

In summary: more annoyances and seemingly less quality dancing than the better series.

Ironically the ratings are very good but I don't really know if that's because the opposition is weaker this year or what.

In terms of number of viewers, SCD's week-on-week figures are actually down on last year's but slightly better than past years. It's more that X-Factor's viewing figures have fallen off a cliff and are now closer to SCD's.
  • SwiftishSwiftish Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the final is to be at Blackpool, isn't it?
    I am enjoying it this year, but haven't decided which celebrity to support yet - which is unusual for me.

Ooo thanks for that, wondered why they hadn't used it this year - hope it is, its so beautiful and that comes across on screen.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzie60 wrote: »
    Not a good year at all. A few good dancers, but nothing to get you out of your arm chair cheering.
    Anita would have been out week 3 on any other year

I didn't watch it last year... but how far would Widdy have got this year?
    The joke contestants aren't nearly as noxious in 2011, it seems to me, and they haven't been as disfiguring in terms of losing more talented dancers early.
    Forum Member
    Swiftish wrote: »
    I also find this series of Strictly poor, and Wembly did not work on Saturday, it was too big a venue, too big a stage and seemed to be just for the dancers, celebs and judges to enjoy a wow venue with loads of people. It certainly did not come across well on TV. What happened to Blackpool (?) which has been brill, large enough to have a great atmosphere and more people have tickets but small enough for the camera shots to work.

I find its often the case with shows like this, that a fantastic year is followed by a poor one. This year it seems a bit lacklustre, so I'm already looking forward to next year!!

The final is to be at Blackpool, so that will be good (I hope !!)
    I think with Strictly this year it's a case of 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' . The Beeb seem to be trying to make it compete with the X Factor . Why ????
    Strictly is in danger of losing its core audience, those of us who don't watch the X Factor anyway. The core audience have always loved the proper dancing and music on Strictly, the lovely dresses, and the fun and entertainment and don't want all this flashy camera work, gimmicks, unsuitable music, show dances rather than classic dances etc etc. The BBC gets its money from the licence fee and so doesn't need to pander to the whims of a larger audience, by dumbing down its flagship Autumn programme. One big fault on Saturday (apart from sound quality, far too big set etc) was that there were too many dances and too many Latin dances in particular. Go back to the original format BBC. It was great, it worked and we all loved it. Stop messing it about !!
  • Charmaine CamerCharmaine Camer Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Totally agree :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Definitely not a vintage year, I haven't even voted yet.
    As Buddy said, no WOW factor.

Still watching every week and every ITT though :)
    Forum Member
    RampsTango wrote: »
    Definitely not a vintage year, I haven't even voted yet.
    As Buddy said, no WOW factor.

Still watching every week and every ITT though :)

Me too. I live in hope of better things once more !
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    From my point of view, the music has been the biggest detractor from me enjoying SCD. If the music isn't in the idiom of the dance then, generally, that dance fails to please.

Poor music has been right up there for me too and reading between the lines, it sounds like the pros have been given music to dance to each week far more than before, particularly for the themed weeks. When Brendan was on Zoe's radio show the other week, he said every week each pros still dancing with a celeb meets with Nikki (director?) from the show to discuss the music and sometimes Nikki is fine with the pro's choice of music, but sometimes they will be told Moira (Ross?) wants them to use a particular piece of music and he added you don't argue with Moira Ross! I think we can guess when Moira has chosen the music.