What a dreadful series this is - 2011

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    razor blades all round then :cry::cry::cry:

I'm enjoying it. :D Apart from the dodgy camera work, the crap music, the glitter, sequins and feathers and stuff (not fond of camp) and many of the performers... it's great. Love Chelsee and Pasha very much (something real in their working relationship and also the development of her talent), am enjoying Jason (after a battle with his personality) and somewhat appreciating Harry (he has something). Then there's the ongoing Holly-Artem-Brendan thing. And Craig. Craig's great. If they could just sort out the guest musicians and the pointless VTs, we'd be on track. :D Seems to me.

You said it all for me, Pet monkey.

I loathe the VTs and really want to bin Bruce, but am happy with the rest. As a classical musician, (hobby, not work) I hate most of the music performed but when combined with the dances, I'm happy with it (unless it's Prince, M Jackson or BeeGees, then I puke) - Il Divo on "Sunday" were superb and I think the dancing in the top half of the draw is pretty good.

People appear to have forgotten how a hobbit won one series, - sadly you can't have the likes of Alesha, Rachel, Lisa, Kara every time.:)
  • Options
    scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    The producers have got a lot to answer for, in this current SCD shambles.

Given the terrific viewing figures that both the main show and the results show are getting I think you are in cloud cuckoo land! ;)

I think that the producers will be looking at a big bonus!!!! :cool:
  • Options
    flossieblossomflossieblossom Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    scarlotti wrote: »
    Given the terrific viewing figures that both the main show and the results show are getting I think you are in cloud cuckoo land! ;)

Yes I agree. They have succeeded in giving the show wider appeal.

It's a shame for those of us who have followed it for ever....the programming equivalent of faffing abaht instead of dancing. However, what I always loved about the show is still there,amongst some dross, so I continue to watch and love it!
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    scarlotti wrote: »

I think your views are those of the minority here.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trend seems to be, that the actual dance content is in inverse proportion to the hype and faffing about.
    Given that the BBC will be happy with the ratings, expect more of the latter next year.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Initially on paper the casting looked great but but I've changed my mind since.

Still good entertainment though even if the dancing & esp the costumes are awful.

The only ones I like are Russell & Artem...how's that for random choice of favourites.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I loathe the VTs and really want to bin Bruce, but am happy with the rest. As a classical musician, (hobby, not work) I hate most of the music performed but when combined with the dances, I'm happy with it (unless it's Prince, M Jackson or BeeGees, then I puke) - Il Divo on "Sunday" were superb and I think the dancing in the top half of the draw is pretty good.

People appear to have forgotten how a hobbit won one series, - sadly you can't have the likes of Alesha, Rachel, Lisa, Kara every time.:)

Who was that? :confused:
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And thank goodness for that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old Chris Hollins - my heart went out to him when the tabloids howled at him for "daring to win Strictly" when he had worked so hard with Ola over all those weeks while holding down his day job.

Yes,his dancing did improve, but this year we already have some better dancers on the floor.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who was that? :confused:

Tom Chambers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I think some people analyse SCD far too much, the ratings don't lie - I love this year just as much as every other year and wouldn't miss a single thing about it (well maybe the stupid VTs). I just pour a drink, put my feet up, and enjoy the whole thing - I don't count the sequins on the dresses, or count the bars of the music, or compare this jive with one 7 years ago, or check the legality of every dance move.

Its only television and its entertainment, its escapism, its FANTASTIC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marshy54 wrote: »
    I think some people analyse SCD far too much, the ratings don't lie - I love this year just as much as every other year and wouldn't miss a single thing about it (well maybe the stupid VTs). I just pour a drink, put my feet up, and enjoy the whole thing - I don't count the sequins on the dresses, or count the bars of the music, or compare this jive with one 7 years ago, or check the legality of every dance move.

I certainly think that's true for this forum. The general viewing public just enjoy it I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    millie3 wrote: »
    I certainly think that's true for this forum. The general viewing public just enjoy it I think.

Add to that, OTT obsessing about certain pro's or celebs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    Add to that, OTT obsessing about certain pro's or celebs.

Including a comparison of how much sofa time they have (as just seen on another thread)!
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

unfortunately, the ratings don't always reflect the quality of the show. Eastenders springs to mind.
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you one of the masses?
    How did you find out about us?
    ;)
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old Chris Hollins - my heart went out to him when the tabloids howled at him for "daring to win Strictly" when he had worked so hard with Ola over all those weeks while holding down his day job.

Yes,his dancing did improve, but this year we already have some better dancers on the floor.

I voted for Chris :o and thought his dancing was pretty good by the final (he wasn't as good as Ricky though). But I bet his technique beat most of the dancers in this series. With his stocky build, Chris was like Darren Gough in a way and slimmer guys look more sleek on the dance floor - that can distract people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very well said:)
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At least the hobbit had a personality, a fabulous partnership with Ola and really, really tried hard doing predominantely proper dancing with no props! And thank goodness we don't have Lisa-types every year, she shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Alesha and Kara!!!

The fact remains that for me I've yet to see a dance that put a lump in my throat/made me go 'wow'. In comparison, last series Pamela's waltz and Matt's Cha Cha did that in week 1, in series 5 Alesha's jive did it in week 2, and she went on from that to produce some stunning dances pretty much every week, without the need for props and just by putting in a lot of hard work.

Most of this year's celebs are driving me mad on twitter too, at least last year's weren't tweeting excessively and begging for votes as much...
    warszawa wrote: »
    unfortunately, the ratings don't always reflect the quality of the show. Eastenders springs to mind.

Too true!
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lisa - er, HELLO?!?!? :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Only Harry can start to rival Lisa's appalling overmarking and even he can't match the outrageous bias the judges showed towards someone whose ballroom was OK but whose latin never rose above mediocre.

So you didn't like Tom Chambers? You are in a minority. For all her technical excellence, Rachel just didn't have a strong enough personality to bring onto the dancefloor - and that is why Tom won. If Austin had replaced Lisa in the final - as he should have done - Rachel would almost certainly have been relegated to third place. Strictly isn't, and never has been, about technique above all else; it's just as much a reality show about character, and provided a celeb shows progress in their dancing, the public are more likely to engage with a distinctive personality than they are with perfect fleckles. That is why Chris beat Ricky and Ali, and why I can see Robbie outlasting Holly this year.

And Doghouse Riley is absolutely right: however much we may complain about aspects of the show this year (and I certainly have ... ;)), the ratings are through the roof and the BBC will take that as a sign that it is doing the right thing ...
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you had rules that defined what was meant to happen that way, you could do that. But the judges don't now have such rules. You also would need to change the voters. When some people are bad or going for entertainment, and having any success, the result of giving them lower marks is now an anti-judge vote that keeps them in longer and longer. If you have to give your weaker dancers 7s to avoid an anti-judge vote, its inevitable that the average to good will get 8s and 9s and the best 10s. The differentials between 9 and 10 in Zoe's day no longer exist. Blame the public vote, and the producers for giving in to it and going for entertainment, rather than the judges for trying to make sense of something that has none.

You say 'blame the public' but actually the public has been reasonably sensible this year. The only person who really left too early this year was Rory Bremnar and he wasn't amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    millie3 wrote: »
    Including a comparison of how much sofa time they have (as just seen on another thread)!
    Really? : - 0 is someone really obsessing about that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    katmobile wrote: »
    You say 'blame the public' but actually the public has been reasonably sensible this year. The only person who really left too early this year was Rory Bremnar and he wasn't amazing.

The point is and that what most here are missing, is that no one is 'amazing' this year. Maybe this is due to the producers not allowing decent music to accompany the dances and allowing too many distractions such as props and out of hold dancing.
    The music, well that's another béte noir of mine and completely spoils the atmosphere.
    But I'm in the minority here but there again I have got taste and know what dancing should be like but perhaps not in a programme designed for the baying masses. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    As a classical musician, (hobby, not work) I hate most of the music performed but when combined with the dances, I'm happy with it
    As a musician watching a dance show, wouldn't you prefer to see people dance to the music?
    Why not?

We've had very good dancers each year until now. But this year, there's really no-one who's a "star", in either performance or ability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer watching people dancing to the music normally associated with that dance and not some disperate or even desperate pop song with wailing singers.
    The music must be in the idiom of the dance to be effective IMHO. of course. I have seen so little of this, this year in particular but it's never been that good - the music that is. Bring back Victor Silvester, Geraldo or Edmundo Ross and you'd know what I mean.Good dancing demand good music however I appreciate that the resident band on SCD are adequate enough in their own field but are give ill chosen music to play.