Options

Castrovalva

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay, we’re now onto the Davison Era and anyone who dares slates Davison or any of his stories will be expelled to the Death Zone on Gallifrey! (Though you may criticise Terminus at your leisure)
Just kidding off course! :p:D

Seriously, though, Season 19 is my personal favourite Season of Classic Who. Castrovalva is by no means the best story of the season but it is a good debut for Peter Davison and as you would expect from me, my fave debut(though Troughton’s is best in terms of quality). It’s the first full story I watched and always brings back lots of happy memories.

The opening episode sees The Doctor falling to pieces and quite literally unravelling the last vestiges of the 4th Doctor. The use of the scarf to do this was particularly fitting. I loved all Davison’s impersonations of previous Doctors and his Hartnell one was particularly awesome. I also liked the way he sort of creeps into the sports room as if he is being watched and then emerges a little later in his Cricket costume and completes the look in front of the mirror. I also like the links to Logopolis with the Cloister bell and the jettisoning of rooms etc. In fact the opening one and a half episodes in the TARDIS I really enjoyed, it so rarely happened you had an adventure in there. (And it looks more convincing than it did in The Invasion Of Time) Nyssa and Tegan carry the action well after Adric’s disappearance and the scene in the Zero Room where the Fifth Doctor really appears is also a favourite of mine. The first cliffhanger is good, remember it well as is all that stuff with Adric and the web.

Where the story falls down slightly is towards the end of Part 2. I’m gonna mention a word that hasn’t been used for a few threads now: padding. As Nyssa and Tegan carry The Doctor in his Zero Cabinet, not a lot really happens. The Doctor, Master and Adric disappear from the action, leaving the two girls to carry all the action. (Or lack of it would be a better word). It just feels like a gentle stroll through the woods to kill time and it feels really weird being just the two of them after everything that has happened. I did, however, think the cliffhanger was another good one.

It was great watching The Doctor completely forget who he is and I just adore the musical cue to his fall in Logopolis as he climbs up the rocks and gets scared at the height he is at.

The remainder of the last two episodes in Castrovalva improve as The Doctor gets his senses back and starts to take what control he can of the situation. The science stuff about who’s premises are where is baffling but just about make a crazy sort of sense.
The inhabitants are quite friendly folk(considering The Master invented them) and I like the character of Shardovan, who seems at odds with the rest of his people and for good reason as he suspects the whole planet’s history is fake. I also enjoyed the climax between The Doctor and The Master. Can’t recall if I sussed The Porteeve was The Master or not but in hindsight you can quite clearly see it is him.

The Master’s plans are an issue I have a serious gripe with in this story. He spent most of Logopolis trying to destroy and then take over the Universe but immediately after that failed he had not just one trap, in trying to destroy The Doctor in Event One, but two, in Castrovalva. Adric was needed to create the second trap but he obviously intended The Doctor to die in the first. That is, after leaving him to regenerate after he’d effectively caused his fall of the Pharos telescope. Somehow we’re supposed to believe that during those few moments The Master had while The Doctor regenerated he came up with both traps and decided to kidnap Adric. Confused? I am! :D

Not only that, this was probably the only time we could half-believe The Master was gone forever, shame that feeling didn’t last!

And talking of Adric, the story really benefited by not having him in it much and when he did appear he was for the most part reasonable. I also like the often quoted story in the last scene where MW had a hungover and he really did look peaky! I really like that last scene as it re-established the cast with the New Doctor at the helm and gave us a few moments to get to know the Fifth Doctor free of all the trouble.

So yes, I think Davison had a good debut even if the story wasn’t as strong as it could have been. I liked the way he contrasted with Baker and I also think considering what he was like in the next story that it was a good idea he was given time to get used to the role before he filmed this story. It works as he seems so much at ease once his Doctor has stabilised.

:)

Comments

• Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things I loved about 'Castrovalva':

- the use of location
    - the Castrovalvans themselves
    - the beautiful sets
    - establishing 'the team' - which I thought worked really well
    - Peter making an impressive debut as the 5th Doctor
    - Tegan driving the ambulance in part one
    - the fact the story begins immediately the previous story ended

Things I hated about 'Castrovalva':

- another convoluted story from Bidmead, trying so hard to be clever, but actually mostly just tedious gobblegook
    - Nyssa suddenly appearing in trousers without any explanation (surely after falling into the water would have been a sensible opportunity to change clothing)
    - Adric as a wall hanging
    - setting so much of episode one in the Tardis (it became quite dull after a while)

But overall, I enjoyed it. A pleasant opening to a new series - and a good first story for Davison.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sequence where the Doctor gets a Castrovalvan to draw a map and mark the pharmacy on it - I love it!
    'It's here, here, here and here...'
    The Doctor is confused - 'Four shops in such a small place?'
    'No Sir, I have but one...'
    'But you've marked it four times...'
    'Well it may be approached by many different routes!'

It's quite marvellous, and sums up the bizarre topology of the citadel far better than any of the video effects.

It's also at this point that Davison really comes into his own as the Doctor. Slightly exasperated, mild confusion, but certain that he's onto something. After the rather dull couple of episodes in the TARDIS (which allow Davison a chance to shine especially with his delightful nods to his previous selves, but little else) it's only really when everyone gets to Castrovalva that the story gets going. I could have done with more time in the dwellings of simplicity, with all the lovely characters found there. At the time I didn't guess the Portreeve's secret until the moment of revelation and Ainley's portrayal of the Master in the final episode, trying the open the Doctor's cabinet, mad with rage, is terrific. What a shame he became such a pantomime villain later on.

Weak points - Adric, stuck up in the web trying to be defiant and not convincing at all, some of the effects in the first episode with the Master's TARDIS, and much of the plot when you think about it. So the Master got Adric to invent Castrovalva and put all that info in the TARDIS data banks. But this assumes that the Master expected the TARDIS to avoid Event One entirely. I know the Master makes up convoluted plans, but for him to expect Plan A to fail so conclusively is strange, even for him!

Whatever - the music is lovely, the location work is suitably tranquil, Davison is superb, the Castrovalvans are wonderful and it all looks great. Arguably the best story this season.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I LOVED this one too! Lots of Tardis scenes in the first half of the story.....places where we've never been before. Who's ever heard of the Zero Room before? Then it gets zapped away anyhow!
    The whole idea of 'jettisoning' rooms was getting a bit crazy here.....but they got away with it!

I loved Tegan's crash-landing!

The rest was a pretty good standard story. The Master was fairly obvious - but I loved his re-appearance all the same.

A nice intro for Doctor 5 (one of my favourites) and seeing him stick that bit of celery on his coat at the end was a nice touch! A pleasant feel to a NICE Doctor for times to come!
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is of course the story where Nyssa dumped her silly fairy skirt and started wearing trousers. Not that that's the only thing that happens, but it is the best and most important.

Beyond that, I do love the look of Castrovalva. Very reminescent of Escher, I believe deliberately so.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quiet agree about the wonderful nonsense in this story and there is a lot. Precisely how when what the Doctor needs somewhere calming and simple like a Zero Room being put into the obviously over complex Castrovalva helps is not explained.

As for the Master having plan A and plan B well they are Time Lords and time is Wibbly Wobbly - maybe he developed it after the escape from Event One and then came back. Basically it hurts to think.

As a knitter watching that lovely long scarf being unwound is somewhat distressing. Ok it's only garter stitch but still the hours in making it!
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this story! It's so green!

It gives the companions loads to do (though Sarah Sutton's "falling in the water" acting is a weak point), and the town and people of Castrovalva are fascinating.
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    A good start to Peter's era, I liked the flashes of the other Doctors very much. Nicely acted by Davison, and indeed he provides a convincing display of being in post regeneration I think.
    The idea of the Castrovalva citadel or Dwellings, and there attempts to work it out is all very interesting also. How did the Master escape from this at the end!!! :D. Oh well ;).
    It is a visual treat with all the lush greenery, and then we get the city which I like as well. I don't mind spending that amount of time in the TARDIS in the early part of the story. Yes it could have been better in some small sections, but it was a post regeneration story dealing with the changes and problems of a regeneration so I am fine with it.
    Overall, an interesting albeit gentle start to the era.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A decent start to the Fifth Doctor's era and, like the OP, I find much to enjoy in this season (if we pretend TimeFlight never existed, of course). I must admit, I should have liked the Doctor to shake off his post-regeneration stress a bit sooner than he does. But as others have pointed out, the production has a lovely feel to it. If only the production values of later 80s Who had maintained this standard. There are still too many bloody kids running around the TARDIS for my liking, but that is the general fault of this period of the show. Thank goodness Adric was dead by the season close.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think, like a lot of debut stories, it was a tad weak and tried to do too much. However, that said, i have fond memories of it and watching as an adult, loved all the TARDIS scenes and PDs acting was very good, particularly when he kept regressing to previous personas.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Beyond that, I do love the look of Castrovalva. Very reminescent of Escher, I believe deliberately so.

Yes, very much so.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My PhD supervisor has a couple of his prints on her wall.

Including this one which always makes me think of Castrovalava. Sometimes it's conducive to thinking and sometimes I need a Zero room :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_(M._C._Escher)
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Escher print hung in the office of JNT's boss. Christopher Bidmead was fascinated by it. The recursive set design for Castrovalva was directly inspired by Escher's 'Ascending And Descending' and 'Relativity'. There is another Escher work called 'Castrovalva', which shows a citadel atop a rocky hill. Sounds familiar!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    There is another Escher work called 'Castrovalva', which shows a citadel atop a rocky hill. Sounds familiar!

I have just discovered that there's a hilltop town in Italy called Castrovalva! It's a real place!!

I'd also like to point out that "Castrovalva" is a really very lovely word, and is very satisfying to type. :)
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think this story, more than any others, reflects Doctor Who's amazing ability to refresh and reinvent itself.

Season 18 opened with The Leisure Hive which had the 4th Doctor, Romana and K9.

Season 19 opens with Castrovalva which has the 5th Doctor, Adric, Nyssa and Tegan. Just over a year later and the show has an entirely new cast - and yet it still felt like it was the same show.

And all due credit to Peter Davison as the Doctor - he really hit the ground running. I never once doubted this was the same character I'd been watching all those years (I do appreciate this wasn't the first story he filmed, but he was the Doctor from the outset).

I thought episode one felt a bit too much like 'Logopolis part 5' but I really enjoyed everything else.

I'm not always keen on post-regeneration stories where the Doctor is left almost completely bonkers/incapacitated (Twin Dilemma, Time and the Rani) but sometimes it works and here I thought it successfully heightened the level of threat throughout the story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting point, Mulett. One of the things I like about Castrovalva is that there's relatively little "threat" in it. The Doctor is somewhere seemingly benign, and is a bit dazed and confused. The Doctor's inability to deal with the situation, and his gradual realisation that all is not as it seems, is one of the best aspects of the story and is the key source of tension.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Interesting point, Mulett. One of the things I like about Castrovalva is that there's relatively little "threat" in it. The Doctor is somewhere seemingly benign, and is a bit dazed and confused. The Doctor's inability to deal with the situation, and his gradual realisation that all is not as it seems, is one of the best aspects of the story and is the key source of tension.

I remember feeling quite sorry for the people of Castrovalva when it becomes clear they aren't real. Weren't there some books that the city's elders find that make them realise they haven't been around for that long?
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I remember feeling quite sorry for the people of Castrovalva when it becomes clear they aren't real. Weren't there some books that the city's elders find that make them realise they haven't been around for that long?

It still surprises me that The Master knew how to create people who were mostly good people when he's an evil git himself. I know he had to make them good to trick The Doctor but the fact he had the capacity to make them that way is a bit of a mind stretcher.

• Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    It still surprises me that The Master knew how to create people who were mostly good people when he's an evil git himself. I know he had to make them good to trick The Doctor but the fact he had the capacity to make them that way is a bit of a mind stretcher.

Maybe he understands it as a concept but doesn't apply it to himself
    The best baddies are the ones who are intelligent and he was always intelligent and ruthless
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    12 years old. Perched on footstool close to telly after asking that I could watch Doctor Who for first time ever as it was a new Doctor. Entranced. Fan for life. (I mean, grew up with Tom, I had seen it! Just never asked before. One telly, not even a remote control, so it depended upon my parents...)

I still love it. Fiona Cumming really seemed to 'get' Doctor Who, and visually and aurally (it's one of my favourite scores) It's a lovely story. I immediately *cared* about this Doctor from the off and Davison gives a great performance. Ainley is excellent as the Portreeve (I didn't guess) This story just transports me back to a when I was a kid discovering a new obsession and am still massively fond of it. (As a debut story, only The Eleventh Hour comes close for me.)
  • Options
    ocoxocox Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    A decent start to the Fifth Doctor's era and, like the OP, I find much to enjoy in this season (if we pretend TimeFlight never existed, of course). I must admit, I should have liked the Doctor to shake off his post-regeneration stress a bit sooner than he does. But as others have pointed out, the production has a lovely feel to it. If only the production values of later 80s Who had maintained this standard. There are still too many bloody kids running around the TARDIS for my liking, but that is the general fault of this period of the show. Thank goodness Adric was dead by the season close.

A very positive thought (regulars will know I have no love for Adric).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this story as a kid...so much happened inside the TARDIS and we saw lots of it :)

The plot still makes my head hurt tho :confused:
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another weak and self-indulgent script from Bidmead rescued - and almost made great - by the contributions of the music, costume, and design departments, together with some sterling performances from the actors (as it might be, "You made us, man of evil, but we are free").

Something that has always troubled me, though, since I first watched this on VHS, is that the two doors of the Zero Room have only four roundels each, but the Zero Cabinet, supposedly constructed out of them, plainly incorporates nine roundels.

Where did the extra roundel come from?
  • Options
    kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    Where did the extra roundel come from?

What do you expect - it's made from bits of the tardis - size is relative.