Options

Halalophobic much?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
Forum Member
Are people seriously worried about Halal meat being taken over? Go to ANY muslim store restaurant take away and you'll find everything there is halal, and I'm sure as hell those meat probably taste the same as non Halal meat does. I do not understand these fear mongering sensationilized headline yet again blaming Muslims for taking over every restaurant and turning them into halal only. Please that's not true to the least. What the hell are people in the UK actually worried about? Now if you wanna talk about the slaughter process, it's hypocritical to talk about how Muslims slaughtering of animals when the big corporations slaughtering process isn't exactly better either.

Comments

• Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    The Halal slaughtering process is immoral. End of story. Yes many other slaughtering processes are immoral as well, which is one of the reasons I limit the meat I eat.

I am not religious at all, but there are people who are Catholic etc and they are not comfortable with the fact their meat had a prayer said to the prophet Mohammed before being killed.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tas_Has wrote: »
    it's hypocritical to talk about how Muslims slaughtering of animals when the big corporations slaughtering process isn't exactly better either.

Very true, I reckon people who take issue with how animals are slaughtered for halal meat but not question mainstream slaughtering or animal housing aren't really that bothered about the animals, it's just s smokescreen to criticize something Muslims do. And do these same people also have an issue with kosher slaughtering practices, or are Jews exempt from their disdain? :-D
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind if halal meat was taken over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    The Halal slaughtering process is immoral. End of story. Yes many other slaughtering processes are immoral as well, which is one of the reasons I limit the meat I eat.

I am not religious at all, but there are people who are Catholic etc and they are not comfortable with the fact their meat had a prayer said to the prophet Mohammed before being killed.

Immoral?.

In what way?.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Are people seriously worried about Halal meat being taken over? Go to ANY muslim store restaurant take away and you'll find everything there is halal, and I'm sure as hell those meat probably taste the same as non Halal meat does. I do not understand these fear mongering sensationilized headline yet again blaming Muslims for taking over every restaurant and turning them into halal only. Please that's not true to the least. What the hell are people in the UK actually worried about? Now if you wanna talk about the slaughter process, it's hypocritical to talk about how Muslims slaughtering of animals when the big corporations slaughtering process isn't exactly better either.

What are we worried about?

Animals being slaughtered in a way just because a bunch of nutters think something exists when it doesn't.

All religion have not and won't ever support the nonsense they spout so just why should anyone have to put up with anything done in the name or because of it?

So you tell us: Just why should we have to have it done that way due to utter nonsense?

Bet you can't answer that with anything sensible.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thread not good enough for this?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1961223

No apparently not
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats why I vote KOSHER!!!
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does any one else hate it when the word "much" is used like that ?
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Christian my husband won't eat meat that has a Muslim prayer said over it at point of slaughter, now all he wants is meat labelled so he can make that choice. Not too much to ask IMO and he is not saying Muslims should not have their choice or Atheists theirs just wants his choice honoured too.

I would have thought in a secular society (which is what DSers like to call this country) no one religion should be making decisions for everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hypocrite! You feel that strong that instead of giving up meat 100%, you 'limit' how much you consume!

No doubt another one of those '...but I could never give up crispy bacon for brekkie...'

Way to go!!!
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Does any one else hate it when the word "much" is used like that ?

Not as much as this ghastly fashion for coining "phobias" in an attempt to ridicule people on one side of an argument and stifle debate. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    As a Christian my husband won't eat meat that has a Muslim prayer said over it at point of slaughter, now all he wants is meat labelled so he can make that choice. Not too much to ask IMO and he is not saying Muslims should not have their choice or Atheists theirs just wants his choice honoured too.

I would have thought in a secular society (which is what DSers like to call this country) no one religion should be making decisions for everyone.

Tony Blair asked God for advice when going to war. Then we sided with the USA.

Secular??
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'm very halalophobic. I'm also battery-farmophobic, veal-crateophobic, in fact anything-that-causes-suffering-to-the-animalophbic.

What do you want to discuss?
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see Halal as immoral, per se, just daft - as I see many arbitrary religious rituals as daft, be it fasting or no sex before marriage.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »

No, any religion shouldn't be making decisions for anyone else.

If someone wants to buy some meat and then dance around it naked waving daffodil and chanting then they can as it will be theirs to do with as they wish. But until then: Take all religions out of everybody else's face and keep it behind closed doors where it belongs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I don't see Halal as immoral, per se, just daft - as I see many arbitrary religious rituals as daft, be it fasting or no sex before marriage.

As do many. But then the same people freak out if someone tells their kids that Father Christmas doesn't exist...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If someone wants to buy some meat and then dance around it naked waving daffodil and chanting then they can as it will be theirs to do with as they wish. But until then: Take all religions out of everybody else's face and keep it behind closed doors where it belongs.

I dont think Pizza Express were dancing naked with daffodils & chanting....they were just using the tried & tested rules of Capitalism to buy cheap chicken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Blair asked God for advice when going to war. Then we sided with the USA.

Secular??
    I don't believe it is secular I believe we are still Christian, so you need at ask those on DS who regularly claim we are secular about that one.

No problem with that if all rules apply to everyone so all religions private and all Atheists keep it to yourself too !
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My problem is with the government. Allowing exemptions to the law of the land for people who believe in something that there is no credible evidence for is ridiculous.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if people object because they think they'll turn in to a Muslim if they eat halal food?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if people object because they think they'll turn in to a Muslim if they eat halal food?

No is the simple answer to that.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, that could be it. It could also be the cutting of the throat of the animal whilst it's still alive. Yeah, I think that's the biggie for me.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, 'halalophobic' what next ? Yes I am actually. Ever watched videos of ritual slaughters of animals? It's evil and wrong. I would rather eat meat that has been stunned and has had a bit more respect given to it before it's death. It's principle, a disgrace thinking non Muslim (which are vast majority of customers, unless you're in Saudi Arabia or Birmingham of course) people don't care and are fine with eating this kind of meat. It might all taste the same but it isn't, is it. On the flip side, I would love to see the reaction if I went to a Muslim majority country and asked for non Halal meat or some bacon. Maybe the journalists need to do this next, would be interesting and prove a point here.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

No, I think most are vaguely uneasy that, in an increasingly secular society, a religious practice appears to be influencing food production and consumer choice. This seems counter-intuitive to our society's way of doing things and is, in fact, only possible because of our increasing indifference to religion.

I do find it odd that the usual vitriol that is in abundance in the numerous anti-religious threads seems curiously absent when Islam is being discussed. I mean, if the Catholics decided to place a crucifix in every branch of Greggs, we wouldn't care about that at all, would we? I mean, it doesn't affect us in any practical way, does it? ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Yeah, that could be it. It could also be the cutting of the throat of the animal whilst it's still alive. Yeah, I think that's the biggie for me.

90% of Halal and Kosher slaughtered meat in the UK is pre-stunned.

Both Subway and Pizza Express have stated all of the Halal meat they use is pre-stunned.

All of the major supermarkets have stated all of the Halal meat they sell is pre-stunned.

So to be honest, it looks like that 10% that isn't is probably mainly sold via dedicated Halal butchers.

However, ALL Halal and Kosher meat should be pre-stunned. It's done in other countries and Muslims there have no issues with it, so it shouldn't be an issue here either.