Humax HDR 1000S Switching off by itself... etc.

After my trusty Foxsat HDR's tuner failure, I took the plunge and got a new Humax HDR 1000S. (I'll take my time finding a cheap replacement tuner board now the heat is off.)

I can't say I'm overjoyed with the HDR1000s. On several occasions, it's just decided to turn itself off. (It boots up again straight away if you use the remote.)

While watching an HD channel on Tuesday night, we were experiencing some heavy rain, so I wasn't overly surprised that the picture was quite blocky. After a while, though, I noticed that the blocks were only where the picture was changing - any static background was unaffected. I recognised it was struggling to decompress the picture but it suddenly occurred that this was possibly nothing to do with the weather. Sure enough, changing to a different channel and back again cleared it.

Later the same evening, both tuners suddenly reported no signal whatever in the system menu. There had been no gradual pixellation or other symptoms of compromised signal strength due to worsening weather. I'm in southern France, but my 1.2m dish usually reports 90% strength and 100% quality. I switched off and on again 5 minutes later and, hey presto, back to full strength! I concede it could have been the weather, but I'm suspicious of this new beast...

Has anybody else suffered these symptoms?

Roger

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By default the box turns itself after no remote control commands for 3hrs. To turn it off

Settings System Settings Automatic Power Down - Off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Graham - that's solved the switching off issue.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rogerhcarr wrote: »
    Thanks, Graham - that's solved the switching off issue.
    What is your postcode? I am at 32460 with a 1.0m dish. With heavy rain much the same as you on the UK spot beams, fortunately not sufficiently often that I would go to 1.2m but I guess you are east of me?

The digital cliff is very steep it is a very small step from a slightly blocky screen to no signal.The signal level reported on the unit, in such conditions, drops from 40% quality to zero. In normal weather about 100% here.