Options

Athletics 2014

Comments

• Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unreal! :o That new WR also surpasses Geoffrey Mutai's 2:03:02, which was set on a downhill course that was ineligible for world records (2011 Boston Marathon).

It is also the sixth consecutive men's marathon WR to be set in Berlin. All have happened since Paula Radcliffe ran the still standing women's marathon WR of 2:15:25 (no-one below 2:20 today either).

---

On a different subject, Femi Ogunode of Qatar clocked 9.93 (+0.4m/s) to win the Asian Games 100m title! A simultaneous Games and Area Record.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt I could run a Half marathon in 2.02.57.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if this is new news or not but Paula Radcliffe just told BBC that whilst she is running London next year she isn't going to win it. She said she's come to the conclusion her body simply can't do it anymore even with lots of training. I'm happy for her because at least now she can just go and enjoy it without pressure.
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you have all heard by now, but in case you haven't, Robert Harting (German discus thrower and olympic champion) has asked that the IAAF remove his nomination for male athlete of the year. He says he doens't want to be included in a competition that puts him up against a cheater (Gatlin).

Thoughts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always been a fan of Robert Harting - now I love him even more.

Seriously the IAAF have no clue sometimes how to promote the sport. European Athletics rules mean that those who have served drugs bans are ineligible for their athletes of the year and Month awards, IAAF should have followed suit.
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to post my amusement at the IAAF allowing Gatlin to be nominated, but didn't think it was that big a deal. Turns out I was wrong. :)

Sure, Gatlin dominated the hundred this year and looked very impressive in his 200m outing at the end of the season, but a large percentage of the audience has their doubts. This can't be a good thing and if Tyson Gay gets back up to speed next year, things will be even worse.

The rules, and the lawyers, may allow dopers back, but the governing body shouldn't be celebrating their performances in this manner. The IAAF seems to be trying to bring its own sport in to disrepute.

Good to see that Harting made a stand against it.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rules, and the lawyers, may allow dopers back, but the governing body shouldn't be celebrating their performances in this manner. The IAAF seems to be trying to bring its own sport in to disrepute.

They have been doing this for years. It's been proven in a court of law that all the old East German records were doped, but the IAAF has always refused to withdraw them, so contemporary athletes lose out on the lucrative opportunities record-breaking brings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have long suspected this to be the case

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/29510575

Should be a good listen on Five Live tonight at 8:30
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    His performances at the end of the season for a man his age raised eyebrows
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,048
    Forum Member
    Darren Campbell admitted he partly quit due to the fact people were offering him drugs to re-gain fitness.

It seems we and the Scandinavian countries take a dim view of drug taking more than for example those in eastern Europe.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I have long suspected this to be the case

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/29510575

Should be a good listen on Five Live tonight at 8:30

I listened that & it was interesting indeed.

The ironic thing is that nobody would be concerned about Gatlin if the only two men that could have shown him a clean pair of heels were running this year.

Yohan Blake was injured & Usain Bolt decided to take the year off to boost his celebrity profile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The ironic thing is that nobody would be concerned about Gatlin if the only two men that could have shown him a clean pair of heels were running this year.

Yohan Blake was injured & Usain Bolt decided to take the year off to boost his celebrity profile.

I think there has always been concern about Gatlin since his return (remember how sorry many people felt for Tyson Gay at the time when gatlin pipped him to Olympic bronze :blush: ) but it has been magnified a little this year as he's been ranked number 1 and not just in the 100 but in the 200m as well, his performances there have been really eyebrow raising even by Gatlin standards.

Imagine the reaction of many fans were Gatlin to win a medal next year at the worlds in the 200m & our lovely Adam finishes 4th. :cry: I think I will cry if that happens
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

If he still equalled he 200pb at his age it still would have been surprising. Probably less so if people though that Blake or Bolt were carrying him round faster, but still surprising.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A really good documentary on the subject of steroids.. in particular focussing on the US is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigger,_Stronger,_Faster*

Highly recommend it.
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree. Bolt not being there has put more attention on Gatlin, of course, but there is no way people would ignore a 9.78 and a 19.53 (apologies if I have the times wrong).
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Imagine the reaction of many fans were Gatlin to win a medal next year at the worlds in the 200m & our lovely Adam finishes 4th. :cry: I think I will cry if that happens

I know. It is pretty much certain he will make the team as well. It's bad enough that he is a wild card entrant for the 100m.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A really good documentary on the subject of steroids.. in particular focussing on the US is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigger,_Stronger,_Faster*

Highly recommend it.

I enjoyed it, particularly the exposure of what is and isn't "cheating" and the holier than thou attitudes towards steroids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some athletics on this weekend. Eurosport have the Amsterdam Marathon on Sunday at 08:15. The course should be as fast as Berlin, but probably they don't have the same budget to attract the very top names.

The Chicago Marathon was last weekend - it used to be the main world record course back in the 1980s. This time it was won by Eliud Kipchoge and Rita Jeptoo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The IAAF have seen sense - Gatlin is not on the shortlist for World Athlete of the Year.

The men are

Mutaz Essa Barshim, the high jumper
    Renaud Lavillenie, pole vaulter
    Dennis Kimetto, the world marathon record holder

I think I'd have to go for Lavillenie - he didn't have a perfect season, but he did beat a World Record that everyone thought would stand for decades.

For the women

Valerie Adams, shot put,
    Genzebe Dibaba, distance
    Dafne Schippers, sprint.

I'd go for Dibabe, granted the indoor World Records she beat were perhaps a bit soft, but three records in two weeks is something that hasn't been done for 30 years.
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barshim and Schippers for me. Just because I think they were the most interesting ones to watch this season.

Dibaba was a let down outdoors and I've never really felt like riding the Valerie Adams love train. The Marathon doesn't excite me and if Renaud pops 6.16 outdoors, then I might nod my head appreciatively. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola Sanders retires

http://www.teamgb.com/news/world-silver-medallist-sanders-hangs-her-spikes

Rather a forgotten athlete, sadly. World Silver silver medal, European Indoor gold early in her career, then a whole lot of injuries and completely lost momentum, funding etc

Eurosport have the New York Marathon, Sunday 14:30.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola Sanders retires

http://www.teamgb.com/news/world-silver-medallist-sanders-hangs-her-spikes

Rather a forgotten athlete, sadly. World Silver silver medal, European Indoor gold early in her career, then a whole lot of injuries and completely lost momentum, funding etc.

One of those cases of "so xxx is retiring......I thought he/she had years ago"
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    One of those cases of "so xxx is retiring......I thought he/she had years ago"

Has Lisa Dobriskey retired?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Has Lisa Dobriskey retired?

Only after the starting gun fires.
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. the $500,000 bonus for winning the Marathons' series that was to be awarded to Rita Jeptoo on Sunday has been postponed

Jeptoo has won the previous two Boston and Chicago marathons and also previously won the Stockholm, Paris, Milan and Lisbon marathons.Kenyan marathon runner Rita Jeptoo has become the latest athlete from the country to fail a doping test.

The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) informed Athletics Kenya of traces of a banned substance in Jeptoo's 'A' sample.
    An Athletics Kenya statement on the 33-year-old read: "The result of the 'A' sample for the athlete has indicated the presence of prohibited substances."

Thirty-six Kenyans have been confirmed as failing tests in the past two years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's depressing. Anyway, two very good races today, both were decided on that little rise before the finishing line in Central Park. Weather was cold and brutally windy on the Verazzano Narrows Bridge, so no great times. Wilson Kipsang won the men's and got a big payday as World Marathon Champion, Mary Keitany won the women's race.