Is smoke you can't see less dangerous than what you can ?

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a neighbour approx 30 metres away who had a chimney going most days. My garden stinks of the smoke and if I leave a window open so does the rooms inside. If I forget to cover the air conditioner then the smell can leak in through the vent there too.

Although I can see the smoke coming off the chimney by the time it reaches my house and garden it is not visible, but the smell is very strong and sickly. The chimney is quite low as it is a bungalow and is even lower than the roof of it. It is a normal round pinkish red house style chimney (I don't think it is a wood burner). I think it is coal but I have no idea. The smell is quite thick and sickly, I thought it was gas when it was first lit tonight, but it isn't. They use it every day at 5pm until midnight.

Should I worry about the smell ? Or is the danger to health likely to be small given the distance ? What concerns me though is how strong it smells, which must mean it is still being breathed in by me and family. I know before central heating was invented everyone had a fire going, but I am not used to it. I don't live in a smokefree zone sadly. They are well within their rights to have a fire every night, I am purely just asking whether I should be concerned or not health wise. I just love having a window open with cool fresh air each evening, but I am no longer able to do that, and my air conditioner just brings in the smell more.

If they use coal I might suggest to them (I don't know them yet) about using smokefree which I would contribute towards if more expensive. Does this smell less though ? As no smoke doesn't always mean no smell.

Thanks all.

Comments

• tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    I have a neighbour approx 30 metres away who had a chimney going most days. My garden stinks of the smoke and if I leave a window open so does the rooms inside. If I forget to cover the air conditioner then the smell can leak in through the vent there too.

Although I can see the smoke coming off the chimney by the time it reaches my house and garden it is not visible, but the smell is very strong and sickly. The chimney is quite low as it is a bungalow and is even lower than the roof of it. It is a normal round pinkish red house style chimney (I don't think it is a wood burner). I think it is coal but I have no idea. The smell is quite thick and sickly, I thought it was gas when it was first lit tonight, but it isn't. They use it every day at 5pm until midnight.

Should I worry about the smell ? Or is the danger to health likely to be small given the distance ? What concerns me though is how strong it smells, which must mean it is still being breathed in by me and family. I know before central heating was invented everyone had a fire going, but I am not used to it. I don't live in a smokefree zone sadly. They are well within their rights to have a fire every night, I am purely just asking whether I should be concerned or not health wise. I just love having a window open with cool fresh air each evening, but I am no longer able to do that, and my air conditioner just brings in the smell more.

If they use coal I might suggest to them (I don't know them yet) about using smokefree which I would contribute towards if more expensive. Does this smell less though ? As no smoke doesn't always mean no smell.

Thanks all.

Do you live in a smoke free zone?

I personally love the smell of wood or coal fires but I do understand that smell is one of those things that you cant really get out of your face so if you dont like the smell of something, its hard. I doubt it will do you any harm unless she's burning tyres in there or something.

If you dont live in a s moke free zone, Im not sure theres much you can do, if you do, then I think any burner has to comply with defra rules. Perhaps she's burning fancy woods for the aroma or something?

edit - I just saw your post properly and realised you dont live in a smoke free zone.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ask them what they're burning as it seems to be giving off a stink, they may be getting free fuel from somewhere and not realising its causes a stink and really all fuels will give off some sort of smell so but under the clean air act some things are classed as ok to burn and others not in zones and you could get the council to check.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well 12,000 people died because of the Great Smog of '52, the event which triggered smoke free zones etc. but I doubt peasoupers will be a problem.

I expect it is coal smoke your smelling, to me it's nice warm and nostalgic when I get a wiff but I can well see how others might think otherwise.

I should think the real problem to you is the small pollen size particles which could trigger or exacerbate asthma attacks.
  • BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

Yes, I believe it to be coal, it is just annoying to be lying on my bed enjoying the telly or something and even with the windows closed I can smell it seeping in. Due to how small my place is even in the winter it is warm (lots of electrical equipment) and not being able to open a window or put on my air conditioning (which brings in the smell more) is frustrating too. Tonights fire has gone out for the evening now at midnight, but I walked back inside and could smell the lingering smell. I won't mind so much if I know it is fairly safe, it is just health reasons really. I could probably grow to enjoy it too if I knew for sure my lungs were not feeling the effects. I don't smoke or live with anyone who smokes so my lungs should be fairly clean other than natural pollutants.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Not sure you can ever have smoke you can't see. Think about it.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arfcdf wrote: »
    Not sure you can ever have smoke you can't see. Think about it.

If a chimney or burner is burning really cleanly, at its most efficient, the residue (if you dont want to call it smoke) is almost invisible coming out of the chimney, if you're close up you can sort of see it, but its very clear and almost see through.