Can Anything Save This £20 Million Turkey of a Show?

Queen__BeaQueen__Bea Posts: 1,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Beeb must be looking at the plummeting viewing figures and thinking how on earth did we get it so wrong - again. They failed spectacularly with Fame Academy years ago, and clearly they learned have no lessons.

Like Eldorado, they are not going to simply cancel the show because it is a disaster - they will try to make their huge financial investment work before giving up. So expect at least one more series after this dismal start. But they need to get a grip with the following:

The judges are terrible. Tom Jones hasn't been a credible artist since the late 1960s - before he went to Las Vegas, met Elvis, blah blah blah and became the king of cheese. Jessie J comes across as an inexperienced, inarticulate, ungrateful chav. Danny is the most famous person no one had ever heard of, and his constant fist pumping, singing along with the lyrics, and crying to show how "passionate" he is has become very very tiresome. Will.I.Am may be a world class music producer, but he is no TV personality. He has no coherent views and mumbles nonsense in an almost inaudible staccato. They all interact very badly , and they have all discredited themselves by giving wild praise to really mediocre acts. Awful.

The contestants are not good enough. From Max (who just screams "I have a showbiz mummy" through everything he does) to the silly little bleach blond guy who looks like Freddie Starr playing Billy Idol), we are dealing with real second-raters here. People who qwould have either never made it to the X Factor live finals or who would have been put out in Week 1 or 2. The sob stories don't help. We've had too many sob stories in reality TV to really care anymore. So what, that woman is bald. So what, that guy has a dead Amy Winehouse haunting his every step. It just doesn't work. And to think, all of them were handpicked for the auditions by a production team who thought they were guaranteeing a good mix of entrants!

The live show just doesn't feel live. I just don't know why, but this is what really seems to kill the show - the live show has a really flat, naff feel to it. It doesn't feel like a big, shared, live Saturday night event. It feels like a kids Saturday morning show and with the crowd near the stage whooping and cheering for some really poor performances, again, it is just another rerun of Fame Academy. All it needs is Patrick Kielty and the whole sorry mess would be complete.

It's getting worse. The real reason people are turning off is because they realise it's all downhill from here. The best, most watchable part of the show was at the start with the judges turning in their chairs to "commit" to a voice. But of course, they didn't "commit" to a voice, they just selected fodder who were swiftly dumped to make way for an extremely dreary, shouty, boring talent show that is now just grinding on with no point. It's obvious that none of these people will ever be stars, so there's no edge to the show whatsoever.

So can the BBC salvage it? They are using our money to fund it, so unlike ITV they'll be under no pressure to dump it because of low ratings. But rather than let it stagger on like this, it'd be great if they did manage somehow to give us a big, live Saturday night show to rival X Factor. But they need to be brutal. They've invested £20 Million in this. What they've given us so far is not worth that money. It needs a total overhaul.

Comments

• SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queen__Bea wrote: »
    The Beeb must be looking at the plummeting viewing figures and thinking how on earth did we get it so wrong - again. They failed spectacularly with Fame Academy years ago, and clearly they learned have no lessons.

Like Eldorado, they are not going to simply cancel the show because it is a disaster - they will try to make their huge financial investment work before giving up. So expect at least one more series after this dismal start. But they need to get a grip.

The judges are terrible. Tom Jones hasn't been a credible artist since the late 1960s - before he went to Las Vegas, met Elvis, blah blah blah and became the king of cheese. Jessie J comes across as an inexperience, inarticulate, ungrateful chav. Danny is the most famous person no one had ever heard of, and his constant fist pumping, singing along with the lyrics, and crying to show how "passionate" he is has become very very tiresome. Will.I.Am may be a world class music producer, but he is no TV personality. He has no coherent views and mumbles nonsense in an almost inaudible staccato. They all interact very badly , and they have all discredited themselves by giving wild praise to really mediocre acts. Awful.

The contestants are not good enough. From Max (who just screams "I have a showbiz mummy" through everything he does) to the silly little bleach blond guy who looks like Freddie Starr playing Billy Idol), we are dealing with real second-raters here. People who qwould have either never made it to the X Factor live finals or who would have been put out in Week 1 or 2. The sob stories don't help. We've had too many sob stories in reality TV to really care anymore. So what, that woman is bald. So what, that woman is singing a Kate Bush song for her dead mother. So what, that guy has a dead Amy Winehouse haunting his every step. It just doesn't work. And to think, all of them were handpicked for the auditions by a production team who thought they were guaranteeing a good mix of entrants!

The live show just doesn't feel live. I just don't know why, but this is what really seems to kill the show - the live show has a really flat, naff feel to it. It doesn't feel like a big, shared, live Saturday night event. It feels like a kids Saturday morning show and with the crowd near the stage whooping and cheering for some really poor performances, again, it is just another rerun of Fame Academy. All it needs is Patrick Kielty and the whole sorry mess would be complete.

It's getting worse. The real reason people are turning off is because they realise it's all downhill from here. The best, most watchable part of the show was at the start with the judges turning in their chairs to "commit" to a voice. But of course, they didn't "commit" to a voice, they just selected fodder who were swiftly dumped to make way for an extremely dreary, shouty, boring talent show that is now just grinding on with no point. It's obvious that none of these people will ever be stars, so there's no edge to the show whatsoever.

So can the BBC salvage it? They are using our money to fund it, so unlike ITV they'll be under no pressure to dump it because of low ratings. But rather than let it stagger on like this, it'd be great if they did manage somehow to give us a big, live Saturday night show to rival X Factor. But they need to be brutal. They've invested £20 Million in this. What they've given us so far is not worth that money. It needs a total overhaul.

*clapping*

Wow, much better than any dross from the Red Tops. Maybe you should apply for a job there? Or maybe you already are 'one of them'!
  • Queen__BeaQueen__Bea Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *clapping*

Wow, much better than any dross from the Red Tops. Maybe you should apply for a job there? Or maybe you already are 'one of them'!

Well I'd rather enjoy a good show than complain about a bad one.

Maybe The Voice is just God's way of telling me to go out to the pub and get drunk on a Saturday night...:D
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe The Voice is just God's way of telling me to go out to the pub and get drunk on a Saturday night...:D

Byee. ;)
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL - always listen to God when he talks good sense. :D;)
  • Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like Eldorado, they are not going to simply cancel the show because it is a disaster - they will try to make their huge financial investment work before giving up. So expect at least one more series after this dismal start. But they need to get a grip with the following:

The judges are terrible. Tom Jones hasn't been a credible artist since the late 1960s - before he went to Las Vegas, met Elvis, blah blah blah and became the king of cheese. Jessie J comes across as an inexperienced, inarticulate, ungrateful chav. Danny is the most famous person no one had ever heard of, and his constant fist pumping, singing along with the lyrics, and crying to show how "passionate" he is has become very very tiresome. Will.I.Am may be a world class music producer, but he is no TV personality. He has no coherent views and mumbles nonsense in an almost inaudible staccato. They all interact very badly , and they have all discredited themselves by giving wild praise to really mediocre acts. Awful.

The contestants are not good enough. From Max (who just screams "I have a showbiz mummy" through everything he does) to the silly little bleach blond guy who looks like Freddie Starr playing Billy Idol), we are dealing with real second-raters here. People who qwould have either never made it to the X Factor live finals or who would have been put out in Week 1 or 2. The sob stories don't help. We've had too many sob stories in reality TV to really care anymore. So what, that woman is bald. So what, that woman is singing a Kate Bush song for her dead mother. So what, that guy has a dead Amy Winehouse haunting his every step. It just doesn't work. And to think, all of them were handpicked for the auditions by a production team who thought they were guaranteeing a good mix of entrants!

I will just laugh at this one, not good enough contestants? At least 10 of the contestants left are better than half the dross that made TXF live shows. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Humour/sarcasm bypass. Good. :D
  • blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with some of it (esp freddie starr, poor lad!). I think the hand-picked contestants was a flaw - they didn't get to discover anyone, just pick out londoners and you tube contestants? great.

I also think it feels flat. I watch XF although hate pop music and simon cowell, and it is so contrived, but at the very least you feel the show has some drama and intrique, as annoying and scripted as it is. the voice is kind of dull atm but I'm hoping it will pick up and we will get some stand-out perfomances very soon.

I like the variety of songs used, and although this hasn't provided a knock-out performance yet, I hope they stick with the more unusual song choices as it's probably my favourite thing about the show.
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could at least check your facts before you started your rant. Bo's mother is ill in hospital with cancer. Your comment was extremely insensitive.

If even Kate Bush has the grace to send good wishes to Bo and her mother, the least you can do is get your facts right before you complain about her.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will just laugh at this one, not good enough contestants? At least 10 of the contestants left are better than half the dross that made TXF live shows. :rolleyes:

I have to agree. I keep seeing this tagline about lack of talent yet the talent on The Voice is far greater than anything on the last series of X Factor. You could post videos of some shocking live X Factor performers just to remind people!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humour/sarcasm bypass. Good. :D

No, just returning like for like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maggie_07 wrote: »
    You could at least check your facts before you started your rant. Bo's mother is ill in hospital with cancer. Your comment was extremely insensitive.

If even Kate Bush has the grace to send good wishes to Bo and her mother, the least you can do is get your facts right before you complain about her.

My fault there - I tune out completely when it comes to these stories. I have removed the reference in my OP. Maybe that's a good reason to leave this stuff out altogether. Absolutely no offense intended and I hope said person gets well soon .:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, just returning like for like.

I did find your comments funny though, just not funny haha.:D
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    I think the big problem is some of the ridiculous decision making. Ruth-Ann didn't cut the mustard in the auditions yet was put through anyway then quickly booted out. Sophie was put through to the live shows because she could be worked upon and made great or something like that. Yet she's put straight out as well. Kind of defeats this idea that the coaches want to work with raw (sometimes very raw talent). Chuck in the Beeb's misleading editing of its recorded shows - 'Look at this wild polar bear people!' when it's really in a zoo and you've got a bit of a mess. Oh and I said ages ago that there were no stars of the future in this show. Will keep watching though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did find your comments funny though, just not funny haha.:D

Well thank you for sharing. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can make sarcastic comments all they like but it's pretty obvious that there are some serious flaws with the show and we may as well discuss how they could be made better rather than pretending they don't exist (or accusing people of working for Simon Cowell/The Sun/etc).

1. The Host Holly is a disaster. Apparently she is experienced in presenting live TV (I've never seen her do anything apart from Celebrity Juice) but you couldn't guess it from seeing this. She shouts, can't ask decent questions and is just generally incompetent. From what I've seen, Reggie is far better. Give him the job - and, while were at it, get rid of the awful V-Room with it's twitter wall. It's such an inane way of trying to incorporate social media. We're never going to hear anything controversial or interesting so what's the point. All the interactions are basically "Here's a positive tweet about you, do you like it?" "Yes". Dull. And if not that it's "Did you enjoy your performance?" "Yes". So pointless.
    2. Too much focus on the judges. People may criticise The X Factor (often with good reason) for having too much focus on the judges but it's got nothing on this show. Everything is Team Danny this or Team Will that. The contestants are forever being overshadowed by the judges. Whether it's during the blind auditions when they're having a battle of egos or during the live shows when they have to try and do a group performance in front of a giant poster of their judge styled like a Stalinist propaganda poster while the judges try and waltz with each other. If you want people to watch a reality TV show then they need to care about the contestants and they make it very hard to give a ****.
    3. The production, camera work and editing are woeful. The people behind this shows are not amateurs so I don't know why they're acting like it. The auditions were very good but the live shows have no atmosphere and no excitement about them. Also, the stage is far too small and seems very claustrophobic, especially with the giant hand sculptures (which are also very totalitarian dictator-chic) looming over them. Open up the stage and bring the band out to where you can see them so the contestants can interact with them. That way they won't need to resort to dancers as much.
    4. Something needs to be done about the battle rounds. I don't know what exactly, but that was where it all started to go downhill. Putting two people in a boxing ring (?!) and getting them to scream the same song at each other does not make for good TV.
    5. More variability in the songs. There were far too many ballads on Sat and they all blurred into each other. Change the tempo and genre up a bit.
    6. The lines need to be open for more than half an hour. It gives such a big disadvantage to those going first that they may as well not have a vote at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    People can make sarcastic comments all they like but it's pretty obvious that there are some serious flaws with the show and we may as well discuss how they could be made better rather than pretending they don't exist (or accusing people of working for Simon Cowell/The Sun/etc).

Exactly. We all want a good, major, live show on a Saturday night. The Voice started off with a tremendous amount of goodwill, with great viewing figures. Those figures now speak for themselves.

Don't shoot the messenger!
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to disagree about a few things. Main thing being, the standard of contestants - admittedly, a few weren't quite as good the second time round and a few have shouted a bit more than they needed to [ that has never put some big name singers off though ] - overall though, the best singers on this show, are FAR better than you get on the X Factor. Some of the artists already gone from the Voice, are better than most of the top 12 left on X Factor too. It disturbs me to know that the 'great British TV public' will watch XF in larger numbers, even when the standard is much lower. That says more about them, than that talent on the Voice.

I do like the 'coaches', they are all more credible than the XF judges. However, I have been disappointed at the descendency into cliche land of 'owned the song/made it your own' and 'journey', both of which should be banned. I agree that they should be harsher when needed and that they should probably talk less, be a bit sharper when making comments, so we can hear longer songs.

The Sunday night results show should be live, I don't care about 'saving license payers money' - too late for that.

One things about the Voice that widdles all over XF, is the live band. I love that part and its meant that songs can be re-arranged and made different, whereas XF backing tracks just make it sound like a glorified karaoke evening. I do agree that if the band were right out on the stage, it would be even better.

I really like the choice of songs overall, XF just re-use the same ones every year. Although, a couple have been a bit too obscure - I know music but there have been a couple of occasions where even I have had to struggle to know what it is. The general public need to recognise all songs on shows like this.

Overall though, the standard is so much higher than XF, which will just prove that too many viewers don't care about finding the best talent around, just to be 'entertained' by average singers who have a sob story.

I just wish more people would be less critical about these shows and just enjoy them for what they are. The Voice is very much enjoyed in my household and there are a lot of plus points.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, the smell of roasting turkey is unmissable. And it was £22m just for the format. The BBC is stark raving bonkers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maggie_07 wrote: »

Utterly irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. We all want a good, major, live show on a Saturday night. The Voice started off with a tremendous amount of goodwill, with great viewing figures. Those figures now speak for themselves.

Don't shoot the messenger!

That's right. Posters saying 'well stop watching then' miss the point. I would like The Voice to be good, want to enjoy something with the family on a Sat night and am not a fan of BGT. But this is just not good enough and the mistakes are not forgiveable from a major broadcaster. You and other posters have articulated them very well. If we as non tv people can see instantly that the judging line-up doesn't work and that the host is mis-cast, how come it wasn't obvious to the BBC team in rehearsals? The fact that this is public money does make a difference.
  • rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they need to use familiar songs to the wider audience, they are picking "credible" songs that are not as well known across the board, 1 thing xfactor has always done well is more often than not they use classic songs that are known by the 8 yr old kid and the 80 yr old granny watching

saturday they alienated so many viewers with song choice

also having a top 20 is too many, should be a top 12 (quality not quantity)

also some of the strongest people getting ditched in battle rounds is flawed and now we are left with some people who are out of their depth

the panel is missing a "bad guy" simon cowell, craig revel horwood, jason gardiner play an important role in these types of shows

how boring was dancing on ice without the bitchy jason!

at the end of the day what cowell said is right, you do need more than a voice to be a star
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    1. The Host Holly is a disaster. Apparently she is experienced in presenting live TV (I've never seen her do anything apart from Celebrity Juice) but you couldn't guess it from seeing this. She shouts, can't ask decent questions and is just generally incompetent. From what I've seen, Reggie is far better. Give him the job - and, while were at it, get rid of the awful V-Room with it's twitter wall. It's such an inane way of trying to incorporate social media. We're never going to hear anything controversial or interesting so what's the point. All the interactions are basically "Here's a positive tweet about you, do you like it?" "Yes". Dull. And if not that it's "Did you enjoy your performance?" "Yes". So pointless.
    2. Too much focus on the judges. People may criticise The X Factor (often with good reason) for having too much focus on the judges but it's got nothing on this show. Everything is Team Danny this or Team Will that. The contestants are forever being overshadowed by the judges. Whether it's during the blind auditions when they're having a battle of egos or during the live shows when they have to try and do a group performance in front of a giant poster of their judge styled like a Stalinist propaganda poster while the judges try and waltz with each other. If you want people to watch a reality TV show then they need to care about the contestants and they make it very hard to give a ****.
    3. The production, camera work and editing are woeful. The people behind this shows are not amateurs so I don't know why they're acting like it. The auditions were very good but the live shows have no atmosphere and no excitement about them. Also, the stage is far too small and seems very claustrophobic, especially with the giant hand sculptures (which are also very totalitarian dictator-chic) looming over them. Open up the stage and bring the band out to where you can see them so the contestants can interact with them. That way they won't need to resort to dancers as much.
    4. Something needs to be done about the battle rounds. I don't know what exactly, but that was where it all started to go downhill. Putting two people in a boxing ring (?!) and getting them to scream the same song at each other does not make for good TV.
    5. More variability in the songs. There were far too many ballads on Sat and they all blurred into each other. Change the tempo and genre up a bit.
    6. The lines need to be open for more than half an hour. It gives such a big disadvantage to those going first that they may as well not have a vote at all.

Holly was a disaster, but I have to give it to the production team she has improved last weekend. Still some way to go.

I don't think there was anything wrong with focussing on the coaches. They did give constructive comments mainly, though I agree they also tended to give 'canned' comments ala X Factor when, I suspect they had nothing more (positive) to say. Right now I think they have done a good enough balance between the airtime given contestants and their coaches. Too much time for the former, and people accuse the show of following X Factor showing too much sob stories. Too much for the latter (how much more can we expect from them coaches?) and I will definitely fall asleep.

I do think the coaches should be 'coached' to take notes down, watch the rehearsals of the other contestants (other than their own team) and make some more eloquent comments about the performance, and adjust accordingly during the live shows (if, say, the live performance fared better than rehearsals or vice versa).

With regards to the battles round, I don't know how this can be improved upon. It's the same format in all The Voice show, and it's often the times when (like the US version) ratings starts to fall steadily until the live shows (and rating continue to drop, until it rise a little on the finals).

Song choices? I don't know, do you want only top 40 chart-toppers or cliche classics? Do you think that will draw more viewers in so doing. I frankly doubt that will help.

I just feel that the contestants are truly of a higher calibre singing wise compared with other talent shows out in the UK at the moment, and people just want to be 'entertained', they got used to overhypped, overly-scripted 'spats', making fun of joke acts or characters like Jedwards, Eggnogs and THE CLAW, or BRAT pretty teenager who bitches about her air-head mentor. Oh well...
  • bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the voice is still good to watch. The problem for me is the some of the public just liked to believe whatever is read in the papers. I just saw on the daily mail site that the BBC are accused of using Holly's cleavage to get more ratings:rolleyes: OP no offence but the contestants are so much better than the x factor's contestants, I would go as far to say that some of the contestants who lost out in the battle rounds were better than the final 12 of the x factor contestants last year!
    Also, The voice hasn't used any cheap tactics to get one over on BGT, unlike Amanda Holden who took a swipe at Tom Jones' age, and Simon Cowell yesterday, who made a cheap dig at the voice when commenting on the Mend.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to disagree about a few things. Main thing being, the standard of contestants - admittedly, a few weren't quite as good the second time round and a few have shouted a bit more than they needed to [ that has never put some big name singers off though ] - overall though, the best singers on this show, are FAR better than you get on the X Factor. Some of the artists already gone from the Voice, are better than most of the top 12 left on X Factor too. It disturbs me to know that the 'great British TV public' will watch XF in larger numbers, even when the standard is much lower. That says more about them, than that talent on the Voice.

I do like the 'coaches', they are all more credible than the XF judges. However, I have been disappointed at the descendency into cliche land of 'owned the song/made it your own' and 'journey', both of which should be banned. I agree that they should be harsher when needed and that they should probably talk less, be a bit sharper when making comments, so we can hear longer songs.

The Sunday night results show should be live, I don't care about 'saving license payers money' - too late for that.

One things about the Voice that widdles all over XF, is the live band. I love that part and its meant that songs can be re-arranged and made different, whereas XF backing tracks just make it sound like a glorified karaoke evening. I do agree that if the band were right out on the stage, it would be even better.

I really like the choice of songs overall, XF just re-use the same ones every year. Although, a couple have been a bit too obscure - I know music but there have been a couple of occasions where even I have had to struggle to know what it is. The general public need to recognise all songs on shows like this.

Overall though, the standard is so much higher than XF, which will just prove that too many viewers don't care about finding the best talent around, just to be 'entertained' by average singers who have a sob story.

I just wish more people would be less critical about these shows and just enjoy them for what they are. The Voice is very much enjoyed in my household and there are a lot of plus points.

^^^
    This!