Sniper Elite V2.

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I've got this for PS3 and so far it is very good, love the x ray kill cam.

One thing that I find difficult with these types of games, is that I know the enemy don't appear until you go over the 'zone line'.

By that I mean, play areas seem to be split into zones where an enemy will only spawn once you've crossed into that area even though you can see it from the other zones.

How do other people play this style? I normally rush the area and find out where the zones are and then I know I have to clear a zone out and go to the next one, rather than treating all zones as one area.

I get a little impatient trying to go stealthy from one zone to another knowing the enemy won't appear till I've crossed the zone line.

Comments

• WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the game itself. However there were a few annoyances with the enemy AI where it would know exactly where you were the moment you fired the first shot and never let up until you had killed them all,m which sort of ruined some aspects of the stealth.

I never really gave much thought to the "zoning" aspect of the way it was set up though.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally do that on most games. Rush the area if I get a checkpoint so be it, but just see where everyone is and fire accordingly. I feel like its cheating and wish games didn't do that.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Never rush in all guns blazing on any game. Haven't done that since the days of Doom 2. If that's what's required of the game then I'm simply not interested. Tactical stealth is where it's at.

Regards

Mark
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Willbert wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the game itself. However there were a few annoyances with the enemy AI where it would know exactly where you were the moment you fired the first shot and never let up until you had killed them all,m which sort of ruined some aspects of the stealth.

I never really gave much thought to the "zoning" aspect of the way it was set up though.
    It works similarly on Modern Warfare 2.

There is a level with snipers who only appear when you go past a certain zone on that level.

You can see the area where they are, but they are not there to shot yet as they have not spawned.

A similar thing happens in Sniper V2.

I'll wait ages checking out a roof top, and think no one is there, but as soon as I move into their zone they appear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willbert wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the game itself. However there were a few annoyances with the enemy AI where it would know exactly where you were the moment you fired the first shot and never let up until you had killed them all, which sort of ruined some aspects of the stealth.

Finished the game now and was very disappointed. I loved the first game as it was very stealthy had sound masking on most levels, balanced enemy numbers and fairly open levels.

This one seems to have been designed by someone who didn’t play the original and thinks good game play is shooting one person and then everyone else on the map knowing exactly where you are and being able to fire MP40s with pin-point accuracy from across the map.

In the trench section near the end the heavy machine gunners in the nests constantly re-spawned as well.

With levels designed with no 'easy' stealth route through although the point of a sniper is to be able to take people out quietly and as many as you can. Some levels that required you to go into a fire-fight to get to the objective.

The lack of sound masking was also a pain especially where one zone had sound masking and then you go through a building or into an adjoining area and suddenly no sound masking.

In the end I simply assumed I’d have to fire-fight and therefore picked off a few people with the Welrod, spotted the main clump of enemy, get into a defendable position and one that I could hide behind as well to recover and blatted away.

Also, on later levels I noticed a lack of ammo for the machine-gun you carried i.e. enemies would die and their guns would mysteriously disappear.

Hitman Absolution has similar issues in the linear nature of the game and slightly bite sized play. I hate to say dumbed-down in both cases…but I will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A similar thing happens in Sniper V2.

I'll wait ages checking out a roof top, and think no one is there, but as soon as I move into their zone they appear.

There is one level where you go into a basement and there's a room with 3 Jerries so I thought I would go round the front and throw a grenade through the basement window...but of course Jerry isn't there when you do that they he only spawns when you go into the building.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    There is one level where you go into a basement and there's a room with 3 Jerries so I thought I would go round the front and throw a grenade through the basement window...but of course Jerry isn't there when you do that they he only spawns when you go into the building.

Yes I dislike the spawning nature of the enemy.

They should be there from the start but the game seems to be split into zones, and the enemy will only spawn once you've entered the zone.

It makes it difficult to know when to move forward and wait for them to appear.

I've no problem waiting ages but there's no point in waiting if the enemy isn't there at all, and then suddenly appear just because you've moved 1 millimeter into their zone.

It is a shame about the sound masking and the enemy know where you are, as the stealth aspect of the game is the main reason I bought it.

At least on MW3 you don't appear on the mini map if you use a Silencer, Blind Eye Pro and Assassin Pro.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Did you play the first one too?
    How do they compare?

I had a go of the first one but found it incredibly frustrating.
    It seemed like it was just a case of "do something, if you screw up you die and then try somehing different next time around".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    How do they compare?

It seemed like it was just a case of "do something, if you screw up you die and then try somehing different next time around".

I haven't played the first one but that is very similar to how V2 plays unfortunately.

It should be just the enemy that are near you who know where you are but once one knows where you are, they all do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do they compare?

I loved the first one - it totally changed the way I approached games and made me more patient and happy to crawl around on my belly for minutes to get into the right position.

I rather enjoyed the keep trying method which is what the first Hitmans were about as well.

There was a satisfaction in getting a good kill and the large majority of the time if other guards saw you or heard you it really was your fault, which I am fine about, rather than poor game mechanics as with the second game.

Scrweing up on the first game was *ones own fault* and hence required you to take another approach.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved the first one - it totally changed the way I approached games and made me more patient and happy to crawl around on my belly for minutes to get into the right position.

I rather enjoyed the keep trying method which is what the first Hitmans were about as well.

There was a satisfaction in getting a good kill and the large majority of the time if other guards saw you or heard you it really was your fault, which I am fine about, rather than poor game mechanics as with the second game.

Scrweing up on the first game was *ones own fault* and hence required you to take another approach.

That is the way snipers are meant to play, but try playing like that on COD and they call you a camper. :)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Thing is, there's a well-known military phrase which says "No plan survives the first enemy contact".

It should be possible, in a game, to survive and continue by using initiative rather than relentlessly adhering to a plan.
    If a game does just kill you and make you start again for a mistake then it becomes little more than a glorified version of "Simon", where you're simply forced to recite the right moves in the right order.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, there's a well-known military phrase which says "No plan survives the first enemy contact".

It should be possible, in a game, to survive and continue by using initiative rather than relentlessly adhering to a plan.
    If a game does just kill you and make you start again for a mistake then it becomes little more than a glorified version of "Simon", where you're simply forced to recite the right moves in the right order.

I never felt the first Sniper game went that far. There has to be a few places where there is some slight surprise in getting through as long it's a fair one and the next time through you can work out the best strategy to get through.

The ones that are just purely about millisecond timing or force of numbers or lack of ammo are level design cheats.

Also, we aren't in real life we are in a game that should give some challenge and be worth the money and not go straight through first time which a lot Halo games are like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is the way snipers are meant to play, but try playing like that on COD and they call you a camper. :)

It's also down to level design in making it possible for people to get a 25 kill streak. It means the map isn't balanced.

Also, in real life snipers tend to be a lot further away than in a mulitplayer map situation.

The multiplayer maps on Bad Company 2 are made such that it's very difficult to get a camping position that someone else can't get to and take you out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's also down to level design in making it possible for people to get a 25 kill streak. It means the map isn't balanced.

Also, in real life snipers tend to be a lot further away than in a mulitplayer map situation.

The multiplayer maps on Bad Company 2 are made such that it's very difficult to get a camping position that someone else can't get to and take you out.

I had a really good 'snipe off' with 2 other snipers on the Off Shore map on MW3.

There are 3 good sniper nests that make a triangle on the map. It was great fun seeing who could pick each other off before the other one saw them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone downloaded the free multiplayer DLC?

I've just had a couple of games on the multiplayer levels and they are great.

Just what I expected from the game.

Large maps with plenty of hiding places and real enemies to snipe against.

And the best thing of all.

No one worrying about camping. :D
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone downloaded the free multiplayer DLC?

I've just had a couple of games on the multiplayer levels and they are great.

Just what I expected from the game.

Large maps with plenty of hiding places and real enemies to snipe against.

And the best thing of all.

No one worrying about camping. :D

Hi,
    I've been playin the multiplayer dlc since they released it for xbox, and it is fantastic imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been playin the multiplayer dlc since they released it for xbox, and it is fantastic imo.

I was enjoying it, until I came across acouple of good players. :)

First game I couldn't even see where they were and kept getting shot.

Next game even when I could see them I couldn't shoot on target.

Have you downloaded the gun package? It doesn't cost much but is only 25meg so not sure it adds much to the game.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was enjoying it, until I came across acouple of good players. :)

First game I couldn't even see where they were and kept getting shot.

Next game even when I could see them I couldn't shoot on target.

Have you downloaded the gun package? It doesn't cost much but is only 25meg so not sure it adds much to the game.

No i haven't downloaded the gun pack. Patience and practice is the name of the game on multiplayer, find yourself a nice spot and don't take a shot till your sure!

It can be frustrating but when it all starts to fall into place it's rewarding trust me.
    Happy Hunting!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    No i haven't downloaded the gun pack. Patience and practice is the name of the game on multiplayer, find yourself a nice spot and don't take a shot till your sure!

It can be frustrating but when it all starts to fall into place it's rewarding trust me.
    Happy Hunting!!
    I don't mind waiting but I just don't seem to be in the right place half the time. I spend all match watching the area I can view with the binoculars but I don't see a single enemy.

Once I get used to the maps I should be OK.

I've mostly been playing the Neudorf Outpost DLC.

It's a good map very similar to the first stage on the single player level. Lots of long range shots to be had. Headshots a plenty.

I'm thinking about downloading the Kill Hitler level too.