Is Linda Henry part time?

bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,695
Forum Member
✭✭
She's been off screen for significant amounts of time at least 3 times in the last year. I know people get holidays but it's often been for over a month!

Comments

• Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    She's the leading lady of DTC's era, and when she's on screen she's REALLY on screen, like involved in a lot of scenes/stories, so it's understandable she gets some time off.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    No. all actors get several weeks holiday a year. Carol has been off screen for several weeks. Kat, Alfie, Sharon, Masood and Ian have all had long holidays this year. Probably a few others that I haven't noticed.
    Linda always takes her main holiday at this time of year to spend some time with her husband's family in Greece.
  • Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, of course she does! I forgot, it was this time last year when Carl kidnapped her and she was missing until November.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    She usually has 2 months off a year doesn't she? Shirley is one of those characters where it is really noticeable when she isn't on screen imo, I think several others have had their holidays recently too, most notably Carol, Sharon and Ian but they are all still full time characters.:)
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, of course she does! I forgot, it was this time last year when Carl kidnapped her and she was missing until November.

Yes but she can't really help it if she's kidnapped can she :confused::o
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's the leading lady of DTC's era, and when she's on screen she's REALLY on screen, like involved in a lot of scenes/stories, so it's understandable she gets some time off.

Yeah, I agree with this!:p
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    No. all actors get several weeks holiday a year. Carol has been off screen for several weeks. Kat, Alfie, Sharon, Masood and Ian have all had long holidays this year. Probably a few others that I haven't noticed.
    Linda always takes her main holiday at this time of year to spend some time with her husband's family in Greece.

Bib: I have heard this a lot and it is obviously true but, how did you find this out? It's never been mentioned in interviews. Just wondering. :)
    Forum Member

And the year before that she went to Carly's.
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Bib: I have heard this a lot and it is obs true but, how did you find this out? It's never been mentioned in interviews. Just wondering. :)

From her no 1 fan who used to post here. :) Linda doesn't give interviews as far as I know, apart from one with Paul Grady. She also has a grown up daughter.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's always had lots of time off. She spends 2 months in Greece every year as well as having lots of breaks throughout the year. People didn't really notice until recently because she wasn't significant enough of a character to notice her absence.

Check her IMDB profile. She's always absent from September to November with the exception of a few years. The period of late September to early November is usually Shirley light or Shirley free. Outside of that before recently she would only appear in an episode or two in any given month unless she had a storyline going on.
  • ALowsleyALowsley Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Linda Henry isn't part time but she's on a break like many actors/characters take every year. Shirley has been overused this year so I'm glad she is absent for a bit. When Shirley comes back, she will be really busy with the Mick reveal and the fallout of Dean/Linda.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being soaps leading lady of Eastenders first family, and Queen of Albert Square is a very demanding job. She retires to the royal holiday-gutter for a period of rest and recuperation every year.
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine she is having quite a long break (or better yet, has had) recently because she will be heavily featured Christmas time.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't have to write the actors out, just have no scripts with them for a while. It will save time to not come up with a random exit every year. It really annoying with Bianca. I'm glad Shirley is on a break now, it's nice to have a break from characters who are heavily featured. It was reliving when phil had a panto on and was arrested and was absent for a few weeks. Hopefully kellie is next to go on one as she's been heavily featured in recent weeks.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's always had lots of time off. She spends 2 months in Greece every year as well as having lots of breaks throughout the year. People didn't really notice until recently because she wasn't significant enough of a character to notice her absence.

Check her IMDB profile. She's always absent from September to November with the exception of a few years. The period of late September to early November is usually Shirley light or Shirley free. Outside of that before recently she would only appear in an episode or two in any given month unless she had a storyline going on.

Good for her. I would if I could.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,256
    Forum Member
    I think it is more noticeable with Linda because they always give a reason to explain it onscreen, that shirley has actually left Albert Square with no return date set up rather than just not featuring her for a month or so but saying she is in the back or gone to spend a few days with Carly. Basically they make it into a big plot point unlike some of the others who just don't appear or are given an innocent explanation for a short absence - like ian taking a holiday with Michelle.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    She's taken a big chunk of the Autumn out every year since 2008.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think her absence is really noticeable
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    I haven't missed Shirley...
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,840
    Forum Member
    In any believe it's been a year since she went missing; a storyline which built up to the arrival of the rest of the Carters!
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the looks of it, she takes a break in the autumn, I think Linda deserves it! She's a VERY good actress! She isn't constantly shoved down our throats either, which is nice, but like other people have said, when she does appear, she DOES appear, which is great! I love what DTC has done with Shirley, he's turned her into a leading lady and it was such a good move! The Carter's would be nothing without Shirley! She sits at the too of that family tree! I know Pat Butcher can never be replaced, but Shirley is Pat's reincarnation! She had quite a lot of scenes with Pat, and Linda and Pam worked really well together! Shirley is a character with a lot of layers and a big backstory! And now a big family! She's played by a really good actress aswell. Linda Henry aces it everytime! I hope either Linda or Kellie win the NTA award, they both deserve it so much! In so glad Linda has FINALLY been recognised! The character has also made a huge impact, and is extremely popular on social media too!
    Forum Member
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    In any believe it's been a year since she went missing; a storyline which built up to the arrival of the rest of the Carters!

That was fun. All the speculation about what Carl had done with her, and whether she was dead or alive :D ...and DTC played along with it on twitter. Her return episode got 8+ mil viewers.
  • ALowsleyALowsley Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shirley's absence is noticed because she shot Phil and ran away
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    MrJames wrote: »
    She's taken a big chunk of the Autumn out every year since 2008.

Hibernating obviously :D
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I think her absence is really noticeable

I know it's been like party time every episode :cool:
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    From her no 1 fan who used to post here. :) Linda doesn't give interviews as far as I know, apart from one with Paul Grady. She also has a grown up daughter.

Linda lives not far from me, apparently she is a very private person.