EE Scriptwiters On Another Planet (again)

bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
Forum Member
So, tonight's episode, someone who's never been seen in a bookmakers before, goes in and wants to put a £10,000 bet on some outsider in the next race.

The chances of that sort of bet being accepted by a small independent bookie who's not part of Ladbrokes, Coral etc? Practically zero - they'd take a grand at most.

We can assume from the cash on Bradley's table that the odds were at least 10/1 - so what are the chances of this small bookie having £100,000+ in cash on the premises? Absolute zero, they would have £5k tops, and if they'd accepted the bet (which they wouldn't) they would have to pay out the winnings by cheque.

Even stranger, in this high tech age, is the fact that a young high-flyer would draw cash out of the bank and slap it on the counter at a bookmakers - this sort of betting is far easier and safer to do online, where the major players all have websites on which large bets can be accommodated.

It's quite obvious that the scriptwriters, who must spend all day sipping skinny lattes in trendy Islington coffee bars while reading the media section of the Guardian, have never been near a betting shop in their lives.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I do agree with you on the fact that its unrealistic that a betting shop of that kind would have that amount of money, but the reason why bradley done this was because hes not thinking straight as his marraige has just ended AGAIN due to stacey straying. most men would of proberly gone out on the pull but bradley isn't like that, i do like stacey but shame on you.....callum will ditch you in a few months watch this space ........................................
  • teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad is a professional gamber, while doing his job as an acting MD at a company. He has so many different accounts, he was earning so much money, they'd close his account down. I gave him my details, and got 10% of the earnings. So yes, it is unrealistic that you'd be able to do that. But saying that, my Dad won so much from an actual bookmakers once, that he had to go to another branch of the chain as they didn't have enough money - it happens.
  • Muckle FluggaMuckle Flugga Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »
    It's quite obvious that the scriptwriters, who must spend all day sipping skinny lattes in trendy Islington coffee bars while reading the media section of the Guardian, have never been near a betting shop in their lives.

That sounds like me! :o:o
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, tonight's episode, someone who's never been seen in a bookmakers before, goes in and wants to put a £10,000 bet on some outsider in the next race.

The chances of that sort of bet being accepted by a small independent bookie who's not part of Ladbrokes, Coral etc? Practically zero - they'd take a grand at most.

We can assume from the cash on Bradley's table that the odds were at least 10/1 - so what are the chances of this small bookie having £100,000+ in cash on the premises? Absolute zero, they would have £5k tops, and if they'd accepted the bet (which they wouldn't) they would have to pay out the winnings by cheque.

Even stranger, in this high tech age, is the fact that a young high-flyer would draw cash out of the bank and slap it on the counter at a bookmakers - this sort of betting is far easier and safer to do online, where the major players all have websites on which large bets can be accommodated.

All true but it's only what I've come to expect from EE:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just thought it was nice to see inside the bookies again.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,264
    Forum Member
    lol EE just can't do anything right lately can? this is wrong, that wouldn't happen, they breathe to much :rolleyes:

It's a soap! Does it really matter? there are more imoporant storylines going on.

Good for Bradley, I bet he wasn't excepting that :D
  • Arcane2Arcane2 Posts: 13,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE writers managed to be the first people on Mars? Good for them, take that NASA.
    Forum Member
    Arcane2 wrote: »
    EE writers managed to be the first people on Mars? Good for them, take that NASA.

Lmao :D:D
  • A LockeridgeA Lockeridge Posts: 109
    Forum Member

I do agree with you, it is so unreal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly the end of the world.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    My Dad is a professional gamber, while doing his job as an acting MD at a company. He has so many different accounts, he was earning so much money, they'd close his account down. I gave him my details, and got 10% of the earnings. So yes, it is unrealistic that you'd be able to do that. But saying that, my Dad won so much from an actual bookmakers once, that he had to go to another branch of the chain as they didn't have enough money - it happens.

I'll give your dad my details............

any tips?:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    lol EE just can't do anything right lately can? this is wrong, that wouldn't happen, they breathe to much :rolleyes:

It's a soap! Does it really matter? there are more imoporant storylines going on.
    Of course it doesn't matter. The probelm is that I keep reading that EE is the most realistic of the soaps:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Of course it doesn't matter. The probelm is that I keep reading that EE is the most realistic of the soaps:rolleyes:

It is, when it comes to imoporant storylines, e.g abuse ones, rape, the Tony/Whit one ect. The stroylines that matter are realstic.
  • Official DivaOfficial Diva Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

From who? a couple of young fans on here.

Find me one article from anyone from EE within the last 18 months where they have said this.........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're gonna complain about it then stop watching it! I have it is just too boring!
  • BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the past, Andy covered off bets with other bookies in the area, even though they're not a chain. We can't assume that's not what happened this time.

The reasons why Bradley did it have already been covered off.

As for why he used cash at the local bookies rather than gamble online - I'm assuming he already has the cash drawn from a bank for some reason.

There was no way he would have popped into the local Abbey National and withdrawn all that money in one day - there's a limit. You have to notify the bank if you want to withdraw a large amount as that. He must have already had it.

And unless I'm very much mistaken, you can't use cash online.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member

There are places you can get cheques cashed immediately (like cash converters, I think), for a fee.
    Sorry for being pedantic :D

And the bookie seemed to know Ricky, and Bradley was with him... so maybe they took the bet based on that?
    They're not allowed to show brand names, so it could have been a branch of one of the well-known bookie chains.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    It was so unrealistic. Apart from putting all that cash on a horse, which I don't think he would do, he had the cheque in his hand just the day before or something, and suddenly he has a huge pile of cash. Even if he did put it in the bank they wouldn't give him all that cash until it had cleared, or would they??? Stupid story.
  • tatlocktatlock Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a soap, ffs. People are murdered every couple of months, everyone has a long-lost relative, no-one has a washing machine, characters can afford to drink in the pub every day and have mortgages even though most of them do manual and irregular work, like manning stalls. None of it makes sense, that's why people watch it, because it's an escape from the real world. You're taking it far too seriously, it's not Shakespeare.
  • BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soshalite wrote: »
    It was so unrealistic. Apart from putting all that cash on a horse, which I don't think he would do, he had the cheque in his hand just the day before or something, and suddenly he has a huge pile of cash. Even if he did put it in the bank they wouldn't give him all that cash until it had cleared, or would they??? Stupid story.

The cheque he had in his hand was the one Max wrote to Callum.

The money he gambled was part of the 40k Max gave him a month or so ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    It is, when it comes to imoporant storylines, e.g abuse ones, rape, the Tony/Whit one ect. The stroylines that matter are realstic.
    Except for a Paedo being employed as a youth worker:rolleyes:
    From who? a couple of young fans on here.

Find me one article from anyone from EE within the last 18 months where they have said this.........
    I read iot all the time on DS
    Bertypop wrote: »
    In the past, Andy covered off bets with other bookies in the area, even though they're not a chain. We can't assume that's not what happened this time.
    The Bookie would have covered the bet but they would not have paid him in cash
    tatlock wrote: »
    You're taking it far too seriously, it's not Shakespeare.
    Some would say that it's more important than Shakespeare
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    By the looks of it, it wasn't much of an outsider (10/1 at most judging by the money on the table) - and you'd have thought he could have given Ricky some of the winnings!!:(
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Bradley want to put all the money down but was told there was a 10k limit?

Poor old Pat must be fuming :cool: :D
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    That's Pat's earring fund gone now. :(