Where's your local Comic Shop?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
Forum Member
Inspired by a couple of replies on another thread, let us know where your local store is and where you get your comics!

Living in Liverpool, im quite lucky as we have TWO stores! We have a Forbidden Planet on Bold Street, which i dont visit too often, as its more about collectables and figures these days, and a little bit out of my way.

The main shop i use is called Worlds Apart on Lime Street. Its got a great little layout, with a HUGE selection of comics and TPBs on display. Its got a good selection of Manga too, along with some Star Wars, Dr Who, Simpsons, WWE and others.

Occasionally, when i cant get into town, ill but my comics from a store on eBay called A Place In Space Comics. They have all the latest releases, and their dispatch time is brilliant. I highly recommend them!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I live in Dartford, there used to be a Forbidden Planet here, but it shut down ages ago, so I tend to get mine from London, or from local markets, or just pick them up in various shops around the country that I visit
    I prefer to pick up old comics though than new ones, but I sometimes get the new English ones from WHSmiths, although I've seen they've upped the price slightly as of late
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In Leeds there's a Forbidden Plaent, which I stubbornly still insist on calling 'Oddysey', which was it's original name. It's better nowadays for action figrues than comics, so my comic shop of choice these days is the wonderful OK Comics. The shops a bit tiny, but they never let me down. There's also a Travelling Man in Leeds, which isn't bad.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Krypton Comics in Walthamstow and too damn close to my house.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Page 45 in Nottingham city centre. A quite exceptional establishment.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Central City Comics in Eagle Street, Ipswich. A great little place with a vast selection of back issues.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    Page 45 in Nottingham city centre. A quite exceptional establishment.

High fives for this awesome place!:D
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've got a Forbidden Planet in Cambridge.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mass09 wrote: »
    Inspired by a couple of replies on another thread, let us know where your local store is and where you get your comics!

Living in Liverpool, im quite lucky as we have TWO stores! We have a Forbidden Planet on Bold Street, which i dont visit too often, as its more about collectables and figures these days, and a little bit out of my way.

The main shop i use is called Worlds Apart on Lime Street. Its got a great little layout, with a HUGE selection of comics and TPBs on display. Its got a good selection of Manga too, along with some Star Wars, Dr Who, Simpsons, WWE and others.

Occasionally, when i cant get into town, ill but my comics from a store on eBay called A Place In Space Comics. They have all the latest releases, and their dispatch time is brilliant. I highly recommend them!

Can you get back issues of VIZ comic there ?
    I live in Birkenhead, and I need early Viz(es) to complete my collection

Can
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Cartoon Shop in Basildon. Always looked after me very well, including my request for Mouse Guard issues. Do have a soft spot for Gosh in London, just across from the British Museum.
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad to hear Basildon is still there. I think Romford and Barking may have gone. As for Forbidden Plant , I discovered it when it was a small shop in Berwick Street Soho. The employees kept leaving and opening their own shops close by. The name Forbidden Planet moved to St Annes Court, then Denmark St, then Oxford St and now Shaftesbury Avenue.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad to hear Basildon is still there. I think Romford and Barking may have gone. As for Forbidden Plant , I discovered it when it was a small shop in Berwick Street Soho. The employees kept leaving and opening their own shops close by. The name Forbidden Planet moved to St Annes Court, then Denmark St, then Oxford St and now Shaftesbury Avenue.

I remember when it was called "Dark They Were and Golden Eyed" in St. Anne's Court.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Can you get back issues of VIZ comic there ?
    I live in Birkenhead, and I need early Viz(es) to complete my collection

Can

Not too sure TBH, you could always call them and ask.

I reckon ebay may be your best bet tho
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Ah this is brilliant- it's turning into a "Comic Store Guide to the UK".

Anyway, my entries. I live in Croydon so go to the (small Forbidden Planet next to the Whitgift Centre). And to "A Place in Space" just behind the Surrey Street market http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1375/55117.php.

I work in Central London so go to the (big) Forbidden Planet. I also to a Orbital Comics just off Charing Cross Rd opposite Leicester Square tube station http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1226/7893.php.

And with my inlaws in Brighton there's Dave Comic Shop http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1226/7893.php

P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I don't know of any comics shops anywhere near me. I get all mine from the interwebs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    My Local is in York, (travelling man) and I get most of my subscriptions from there, but I often go to Leeds, (much bigger travelling man and forbidden planet) for things like figures, back issues, non-comic related cult stuff.

Wasn't aware of another one in Leeds (OK comics, above) shall have to give that one a try...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    there was an article on digital spy a while back saying how the comic book shop from Spaced is being bought over- does anyone know when that is? 'cause I'm going up to London this weekend and would love to go there before it's changed (I know it's proabably changed already, Spaced is a nearly 10 years old, after all)
  • Hopeless_SavageHopeless_Savage Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to have one called Travelling Man in Derby. Was a great lil shop. I even dated the one of the guys that ran it :P Yay discount. I used to hang out there all the time in my college days. Just too easy.
    Unfortunately the company had to cut back some stores, plus forbidden planet moved in to force them out. I still got my standing order posted to me from the Leeds branch for a while but I steadily stopped. Its just easier to get hardcovers and TPBs these days.
    Our Forbidden Planet just shut down now too.
    We're not doing well! lol
    Forum Member
    :D
    Dufflecoat wrote: »
    Ah this is brilliant- it's turning into a "Comic Store Guide to the UK".

Anyway, my entries. I live in Croydon so go to the (small Forbidden Planet next to the Whitgift Centre). And to "A Place in Space" just behind the Surrey Street market http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1375/55117.php.

Thats exactly what i was hoping for when i started the thread!! :D

What's A Place in Space like? thats where i get my stuff on ebay, love to visit the physical store one day...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Mass09 wrote: »
    :D

Thats exactly what i was hoping for when i started the thread!! :D

What's A Place in Space like? thats where i get my stuff on ebay, love to visit the physical store one day...

A Place In Space is quite small but it's better than Forbidden Planet with regards to back issues. Forbidden Planet is slightly cheaper when it comes to new comics, especially graphic novel/ trade paperbacks (which is what I tend to buy). Place has very friendly staff.
    Forum Member
    I had to call Place once to pay over the phone for a few items when i couldnt access paypal, they were really friendly and understanding.

I tend to buy most of my comics from them, with my TPB's coming from World's Apart up here, which again, the staff couldnt be friendlier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Haven't bought any for ages, but I used to go to a comics shop in Chester. Can't remember the name, but it was great, hope it's still going. I shall have a look next time I'm there.

I used to live in Edinburgh and get them from Deadhead Comics on Candlemaker Row :D
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    I admit to being too lazy to visit shops so it is Amazon (trades) and *cough* cbr for issues (suitably shamefaced).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Seems like there is a Forbidden Planet in every town. The comic shop equivalent of Microsoft no less. Deserves a separate thread I reckon.

I grew up in London. First encountered Forbidden Planet in Denmark Place. There was Comic Showcase in Monmouth St. and Gosh opposite the British Museum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Nearest city to me that has dedicated comic shops is Newcastle - this being Forbidden Planet with another comic store just a few doors down from it. I rarely visit FP these days as it seems to have evolved into a manga/tv/film toy store with comics an after thought.

Going back to the early 80's I remember regularly visiting a shop called SlipStream which used to be down a back alley near the Central Station railways terminal. Place was full of old marvel/dc back issues stuffed into cardboard boxes and I spent many a happy hour there just rummaging around with friends trying to find that elusive missing issue of the Avengers or whatever. Due to the post Star Wars boom it grew and grew into a bigger store which was near the Haymarket bus station and it was here that they were bought out by FPlanet.

Those were great days.

Personally I'm old school UK comics and it was with huge delight recently that I discovered an old record store just up from where FP is now that had a huge pile of old UK comics and Annuals such as Beezer, Topper, Shiver and Shake and more going for as little as £3 each. I bought a load. The owner is a big fan of the old war comics such as Victor, Warlord, Commando etc and we had a nice chat where he brought out a load of folders filled with back issues of these comics dating back to the 50's. Not sure he was going to sell those...

Most of his stuff is downstairs in a locked stock room which he showed me around during my first visit. Bought a few Munster Fun annuals and a load of old marvel comics including Planet of the Apes, Dracula Lives and The Superheroes. Fantastic stuff.

The shop is great and if you go around the corner into the entrance into the Newgate centre the owner has a huge display set up in the window of retro books, mags, annuals, records and other stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Otaku Joe wrote: »

Going back to the early 80's I remember regularly visiting a shop called SlipStream which used to be down a back alley near the Central Station railways terminal.

The shops name was actually Timeslip, when it moved it became Son of Timeslip and was around the corner from the same record shop you describe, both being demolished to make way for the bus station.

About the same time as Timeslip there was a shop in Gateshead (south of the river:eek:) called Brainstorm, that I bought a load of Uk Marvels from @5p each. Happy days.