Options

DTC seems to be taking the show back to its roots

IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
Forum Member
✭✭
Thats what i think he is doing and its a good idea, BK and LN distanced the soap from these core values. Already, DTC has:

Included many references to the past, especially of thse who hadn't been mentioned in yonks (Den and Angie for starters)

Given us the Sharon Watts of old (though she was a bit bitchy tonight to Shirley, they seemed to be building a reluctant respect for each other. Shame this has been forgottenas I liked them as frenemies)

Given us the Carters who to me are representative of iconic Vic landlords (Mick= Frank Butcher, Linda= Angie Watts)

Creating 'normal' characters and issues- Terry Spraggan, Carol's cancer, Charlie returning for no reason than simply wanting to be with his family at Christmas

Bringing back characters important to the soap's history eg Sonia Fowler and with Rebecca Fowler, ensuring that the three original families (Watts, Fowler, Beale) are represented

Giving the Beales the anniversary storyline, considering they were the first family

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really getting back into EE now. Hope DTC rebuilds the Fowlers a bit. Like the fact he has some representatives coming back.
    Liking the Carters too!
  • Options
    jboy2k8jboy2k8 Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with you 100 %. First time in ages I'm looking forward to the next episode. Loving the new family as well, it's good to see fresh faces behind the bar.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is doing great, he knows that Eastenders needs to tell big stories and he has a great passion for the show, he also really respects the history of the show which is also really important.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if the rest of his era is shit, DTC gave us the legend that is Linda Carter and I will always love him for that. <3
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda is amazing :)
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    I've started watching EastEnders again for the first time since Peggy left really and I've really been enjoying it. It feels like EastEnders again somehow. I like the idea of having the Brannings, the Beales, the Mitchells, and the Carters at the forefront of the show rather than it being centred on Phil Mitchell or the Brannings. I thought it was too late for EastEnders, that it was TV for chavs, but I'm becoming hopeful that it can be saved.
  • Options
    matty_andersonmatty_anderson Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the first time in what seems like a couple of years, I'm very excited to watch the next episodes of Eastenders. DTC has seemed to turn the quality of the show around in a short time and I'm loving everything he's done so far!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I have ever been so hooked on EastEnders. I'm now wanting to watch it the second I can, rather than just casually catching up like I did for many years. Everything is good about it right now, with the exception of Fatboy and Dexter. I normally despise Alfie, but I actually liked him tonight. Not sure why...
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    IanMandy wrote: »
    Thats what i think he is doing and its a good idea, BK and LN distanced the soap from these core values. Already, DTC has:

Included many references to the past, especially of thse who hadn't been mentioned in yonks (Den and Angie for starters)

Given us the Sharon Watts of old (though she was a bit bitchy tonight to Shirley, they seemed to be building a reluctant respect for each other. Shame this has been forgottenas I liked them as frenemies)

Given us the Carters who to me are representative of iconic Vic landlords (Mick= Frank Butcher, Linda= Angie Watts)

Creating 'normal' characters and issues- Terry Spraggan, Carol's cancer, Charlie returning for no reason than simply wanting to be with his family at Christmas

Bringing back characters important to the soap's history eg Sonia Fowler and with Rebecca Fowler, ensuring that the three original families (Watts, Fowler, Beale) are represented

Giving the Beales the anniversary storyline, considering they were the first family

What does everyone else think?

This is obviously the case. DTC has clearly done his homework, he knows what his vision is for ee and doesn't seem scared to take risks. I have great faith in him.
  • Options
    BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't think EE can ever recapture what made it so compelling at the start - its authenticity. EE has become too much of a myth, too much of legend in British culture to be able to capture the rough and tumble of East End life in the 21st century. It has become the definitive soap opera because it is now a genuine melodrama with larger than life characters aplenty, whereas at the beginning, it was more like kitchen sink drama with only a few bigger than life types, who wanted more than what Walford could give them. The show could never revert to its original prototype because it is simply too embedded in the national consciousness and as a result, it feels too safe and familiar to us.