Citalopram

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Other people's experience of SSRIs is of little or no practical use as regards how you cope with it. A will say it's brilliant and B will say it's dreadful.

This. Took them in my 20's and they helped, no side effects that I can remember. Took them in my 30's and had a horrible allergic reaction. I know a few folk on them and they have no problems at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bump this thread. I just wanted to plead that if anyone on this drug is feeling suicidal or has suicidal thoughts PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE talk through it with your doctor, parents, friends. Today we have had to deal with the death of a 21 year old lad who has been on this medication. Please do not let your family be the next family to go through this. :(
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this thread. I just wanted to plead that if anyone on this drug is feeling suicidal or has suicidal thoughts PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE talk through it with your doctor, parents, friends. Today we have had to deal with the death of a 21 year old lad who has been on this medication. Please do not let your family be the next family to go through this. :(

I don't know how to reply to this post. Of course it's sad that anyone kills themselves but it seems that you're suggesting that it may have been the pills that caused it which might scare other people into stopping taking them which is the worst thing they can do.

However, if anyone feels suicidal, regardless of the pills they're taking, then speaking to someone is the best thing to do. (It may be easier to speak to someone you don't know, but talk, however hard it seems.)
  • Options
    Cougar GirlCougar Girl Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »

That's terrible :(. I've been on them nearly 4 weeks now and thankfully have not any suicidal thoughts. Although i'm still waiting for this stuff to work as I feel pretty much the same as before I started them tbh. The only side effect I only have with them is the constant dreaming still.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    That's terrible :(. I've been on them nearly 4 weeks now and thankfully have not any suicidal thoughts. Although i'm still waiting for this stuff to work as I feel pretty much the same as before I started them tbh. The only side effect I only have with them is the constant dreaming still.

I would have thought that you should start feeling better very soon. If not then obviously consult your GP but 20 mg was enough for me. It's not that I go around singing and smelling the flowers but I don't go into that spiral of anxiety and depression when I could feel myself going down but couldn't do anything to stop it. I had never associated the dreams with Citalopram but now you mention it I do get really weird, really vivid dreams. Most of the time they are entertaining or funny and I've certainly never had real nightmares. In fact, perhaps understandably I get fewer anxiety and nightmarish dreams than I used to.
  • Options
    alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have said before, I am on 20mg Citalopram per day, and I dream a lot, although because I take several other drugs as well, I can't be absolutely certain that some of those also don't cause dreams.

Anyhow, my dreams are rarely nasty ones, but I do have the occasional fantastic one, but most commonly I dream that I am doing many of the jobs I did while working - I'm retired. I also dream that I'm in school, both primary and secondary, so I tend to cover my entire life. They do have some silly elements as most dreams do, but they are generally quite believable.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on them and they turned me in to a spaced out couch potato. I was too tired to even get out of the armchair or do anything. I was so drowsy all the time and had no motivation do do anything bit sit there and veg out in front of the telly.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first three weeks were really horrible. I was already feeling bad for months but these ended any appetite I had and they made me nauseous. I dropped around half a stone. But everyone kept saying stick with it and I'm so glad I did. My appetite gradually came back, the anxiety and hopelessness faded. It was not so much "happy pills" as "feel normal" pills for me. The Doctor gave me dompirdone to help with the nausea which helped me eat something.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone just take this for anxiety like I do? I had a session with some counsellor and was given a list of depression signs and was told I didn't have it as I ticked the list.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Does anyone just take this for anxiety like I do? I had a session with some counsellor and was given a list of depression signs and was told I didn't have it as I ticked the list.

My prescription was for stress and anxiety and panic attacks. Although I do suffer from depression they gave me them mainly to calm me down.
  • Options
    LincsDan32LincsDan32 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on Citalopram for 12 weeks, and it was a living hell. Woke up every morning feeling like I had been hit over the head with a sledgehammer. I couldn't function for 2-3 hours from waking up.

I'm now on Sertraline, it's far better than (from my point of view) Citalopram
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't want to say this when you went on them. It took 6 more ghastly weeks of overwhelming anxiety?panic and 2 hours sleep a night, to start to work for me. Anti depressants always take a few weeks to kick in, which is a major drawback. When it did take effect it was certainly worth the wait. To feel normal again, especially, sleeping properly and the constant anxiety easing, was indescribable.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I'm on it just for anxiety. I don't have depression or anything else. It's been wonderful for me! I was more tired than usual for a few days when I started taking it, but then that went away and the positive effects kicked in. It's helped me enormously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'm on it just for anxiety. I don't have depression or anything else. It's been wonderful for me! I was more tired than usual for a few days when I started taking it, but then that went away and the positive effects kicked in. It's helped me enormously.
    It's brilliant, it got rid of big debilitating physical symptoms for me. Although I'm thinking of going to the GP to talk about perhaps moving it to 20mg as I have got little signs in the last week of anxiety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I didn't want to say this when you went on them. It took 6 more ghastly weeks of overwhelming anxiety?panic and 2 hours sleep a night, to start to work for me. Anti depressants always take a few weeks to kick in, which is a major drawback. When it did take effect it was certainly worth the wait. To feel normal again, especially, sleeping properly and the constant anxiety easing, was indescribable.
    It seems if you have depression the symptoms are worse when going on it? I had no side effects after the first pill but then mine is subscribed for anxiety or at that time my mood was low due to the physical effects of anxiety, not depression.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LincsDan32 wrote: »
    I was on Citalopram for 12 weeks, and it was a living hell. Woke up every morning feeling like I had been hit over the head with a sledgehammer. I couldn't function for 2-3 hours from waking up.

I'm now on Sertraline, it's far better than (from my point of view) Citalopram

Citalopram works really well for me, although I got a very dry mouth and slight nausea for the first week or two.

Sertraline and Seroxat both made me anxious and stressed, didn't agree with me at all.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Citalopram works really well for me, although I got a very dry mouth and slight nausea for the first week or two.

Sertraline and Seroxat both made me anxious and stressed, didn't agree with me at all.

Seroxat was a disaster for me also it made me fell anxious also when it was supposed to have the opposite effect.

Citalopram works brilliantly for me but as with all of these types of medicine it can be hit and miss ,whatever works for you.

And i was once on an oldie Clomipromine which did nothing for me either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was terrible for my ex
    Seritaline was awful for me
    Fluxetine worked for me. My ex hasn't found an answer yet.

Everyone is different Cougar. Trial and error will find your answer. I wish you well sweetie.
    Do you know about www.thebigwhitewall.com?

A good place if you feel you need support.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems if you have depression the symptoms are worse when going on it? I had no side effects after the first pill but then mine is subscribed for anxiety or at that time my mood was low due to the physical effects of anxiety, not depression.

My symptoms didn't get any worse. I was in a ghastly state of overwhelming anxiety, depression and sleep deprivation, which then took 6 weeks to ease when I started on the medication..
  • Options
    KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The med gave me mixed results, it did make me feel less depressed and suddenly very confident and my personality changed, but I developed physical pain instead of feeling anxious all the time (which can happen if you are moderately to very depressed). Also, the med was really hard to get off and I crashed very quickly and became VERY depressed once I was off it. Some studies also suggest AD's can cause long-term damage to brain cells.

It's not a wonder drug, there are people I know who still binge drink on it and developed liver and kidney problems later on, so if you take depression seriously don't mix.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    You need to read the leaflet that comes with the packet not rely on people on a forum to tell you the side effects. You need to know what they are so you can identify them in case you need to ring your doctor if you experience any so they can advice you whether or not to reduce the dose\stop them completely
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I just thought I'd post a quick update on what has been going on. Basically the Citalopram was doing more harm than good. So my GP has put me on VENSIR XL capsules 75mg. Still early days but I've got my fingers crossed. Anyone else on this medication? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I just thought I'd post a quick update on what has been going on. Basically the Citalopram was doing more harm than good. So my GP has put me on VENSIR XL capsules 75mg. Still early days but I've got my fingers crossed. Anyone else on this medication? :)

Anyone? :kitty:
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone? :kitty:

Thats great hope the new meds work.

Not on it myself as the Citalopram works brilliantly for me.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats great hope the new meds work.

Not on it myself as the Citalopram works brilliantly for me.:)

Thanks Richard. Glad the Citalopram works great for you. :)