Options

Sky+ PVR2 Sound is Skipping on Recorded Programmes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
Forum Member
Hi,

Recently the sound seems to be skipping on my recorded programmes.
Not all the recorded programmes tend to have the problem though.

It seems to be getting worse though like a screeching sound now and also a horizontal like appearing whenever it skips whereas previously it just skipped the dialogue for a couple of seconds.

I rang Sky and they said the skipping is not a problem with my SKY+ box but a known software problem that they are investigating. In the meantime, they suggested that I moved up a couple of channels on my remote when it happens or reset my system?

Also, how do I find out how to reset my SKY + system?

Paul

Comments

• Options
    digitalsatmandigitalsatman Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    Hi Paul, there is an issue at the moment with Amstrad Sky+ boxes, which should have been fixed a few weeks ago. Tell me your EPG Software Version (System Setup, System Details), if it is 4.00o, let us know, if it's 4.01a, let us know.

A mains reset is simply turning off at the plug, then turning back on after 30 seconds.

Hope that helps,

Tom :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom,

It is 4.00o

Paul
  • Options
    MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    digitalsatman, I have only had sky+ for a week so this problem with the sound dips (which I am getting) is new news to me.
    Can you tell me how long people have been having this problem for?

Thanks
  • Options
    ilovekrysilovekrys Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaxCherry wrote:
    digitalsatman, I have only had sky+ for a week so this problem with the sound dips (which I am getting) is new news to me.
    Can you tell me how long people have been having this problem for?

Thanks
    its a normal thing for amstrads the other are not as bad but by all accounts the pace boxes are the best
  • Options
    digitalsatmandigitalsatman Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    MaxCherry: The last few updates seemed to have made the situation worse, but 4.01a *should* have helped reduce the problem, not eliminate it though. Do you know how to do a forced download? This *should* get you the latest EPG Software for your box, which in this case would be 4.01a.

Paul: Right, you are not on the latest software (nothing to be worried about, many boxes seemed to have 'missed' this update), so you will need to do a forced download. It is quite easy, and carries very little risks.

To do it:
    1. Unplug the box (the box only) from the mains
    2. Wait 30 seconds
    3. Plug back in, while holding the BACKUP button on the FRONT OF THE BOX.
    Many people have held the button on the remote, therefore the update will not succeed
    4. Wait about 20 seconds, until all 4/5 lights come on the front of the box, then release the backup button.
    5. It will take about 7 minutes, and when it has finished, you *should* be on 4.01a.

Hope that helps,

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I've got v4.01a installed on both my Amstrad Sky+ boxes and it's still skipping, but I've also noticed slowly it's affecting more and more channels.

It started with Ch4, then More4, then Sci-fi, then MTV, and now it's affecting some of the movie channels.

I've had this problem since Ch4 went offline over the xmas period, since then the skipping started and has now started to move across channel.

Has anyonne tried doing a Full System Reset to se eif it's fixed the problems?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping someone could give me some advice..... the sound on my sky plus recorded programmes and specific sky channels watching live is intermitent, doesn't always appear in sync with the picture and jumps.

It's mainly on c5, sky one and uk gold and it's getting worse, very unwatchable

I'm not sure what sky plus box i have - can anyone offer any advice/help? it would be much appreciated
  • Options
    SPARKIE1984SPARKIE1984 Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does it have vents in the top? if so its an amstrad!

sparkie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeah it does, thanks for that....I'm guessing from reading this thread that's not a good thing!....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Smeg77 wrote:
    I've got v4.01a installed on both my Amstrad Sky+ boxes and it's still skipping, but I've also noticed slowly it's affecting more and more channels.

It started with Ch4, then More4, then Sci-fi, then MTV, and now it's affecting some of the movie channels.

I've had this problem since Ch4 went offline over the xmas period, since then the skipping started and has now started to move across channel.

Has anyonne tried doing a Full System Reset to se eif it's fixed the problems?

Yes I have and it didn't work I now officially hate my amstrad Box curse you Alan Sugar !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    jacoma1 wrote:
    Yes I have and it didn't work I now officially hate my amstrad Box curse you Alan Sugar !

I had my Amstrad PVR2 replaced with a Refurb Pace PVR2 and until witnessing it myself I wouldnt have beleived the difference. The Pace is great, its got slight fan noise (only very occassionally) but I can handle that. The Amstrad never had fan noise just random loud hard drive noise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have also got this problem, sometimes making recorded programmes unwatchable.

I have an Amstrad box which is under warranty, but i Added a larger drive.

Do you think Sky will replace the box if I complain enough? If they do, will I get a pace box? Or will i get another crappy refurb amstrad box?

Really annpoying though as I have TONS of stuff on the drive, and just don't have enough time to watch it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    having the same problem and tried every trick in the book to get an engineer for free to come out (threatened cancelling - they didn't care!)

got enginner coming on Saturday...be interesting to see what he says the problem is
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slayaz wrote:
    I have also got this problem, sometimes making recorded programmes unwatchable.

I have an Amstrad box which is under warranty, but i Added a larger drive.

Do you think Sky will replace the box if I complain enough? If they do, will I get a pace box? Or will i get another crappy refurb amstrad box?

Really annpoying though as I have TONS of stuff on the drive, and just don't have enough time to watch it.

by replacing the drive, you would have invalidated the warranty. Let's hope you get a sympathetic engineer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MaxCherry: The last few updates seemed to have made the situation worse, but 4.01a *should* have helped reduce the problem, not eliminate it though. Do you know how to do a forced download? This *should* get you the latest EPG Software for your box, which in this case would be 4.01a.

Paul: Right, you are not on the latest software (nothing to be worried about, many boxes seemed to have 'missed' this update), so you will need to do a forced download. It is quite easy, and carries very little risks.

To do it:
    1. Unplug the box (the box only) from the mains
    2. Wait 30 seconds
    3. Plug back in, while holding the BACKUP button on the FRONT OF THE BOX.
    Many people have held the button on the remote, therefore the update will not succeed
    4. Wait about 20 seconds, until all 4/5 lights come on the front of the box, then release the backup button.
    5. It will take about 7 minutes, and when it has finished, you *should* be on 4.01a.

Hope that helps,

Tom,

I am slightly reluctant to do this as upgrading the software to 4.01a doesn't seem to eliminate the problem and from what I have read about all the people who are experiencing problems with Amstrad boxes and software upgrades, will it make matters worse.

Are Sky still working on eliminating this skipping problem or is the update to 4.01a the most up to date solution (and last solution) available?

When did this skipping problem start for most people and what caused it initially?

I have had my Sky + box since Sept 2004 and I think it only started in 2006 although I have had the problem so long now and just lived with it, I can't remember exactly. I know for the first 12 months, I didn't have any major problems (only had to do a full system reset once).

If the problem was caused by some upgrade Sky did, then would I not be entitled to a new replacement Sky + box like a Pace which doesn't have the problem? My 12 months warranty has expired though so guess no point in going there.

I have an Amstrad DRX180 if that is relevant.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I had been experiencing these squeaks and sound going out of synch every few seconds on several recorded channels for several months. My Amstrad Box was well over a year old so out of warranty. The signal strengths of the two LNB's is roughly 40% on one and 60% on the other btw.

I decided to take the plunge and ordered a Pace from an online store for under £150 and installed it myself, it took all of five minutes. I must admit it was money well spent and I don't regret taking the decision one little bt.

Not a single problem in the couple of months I have owned it, faster response to the remote and not a single sound drop out or synch problem.

Robin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    icarus99 wrote:
    having the same problem and tried every trick in the book to get an engineer for free to come out (threatened cancelling - they didn't care!)

got enginner coming on Saturday...be interesting to see what he says the problem is

Icarus,

Any news on what the problem was ?

I've got the same problem, but don't fancy the £65 call out fee, has any one got a definitive answer to what is causing this ?

Spretz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi All,

Just for information I also have an amstrad on 4.01a. This problem is really frustrating. Is there any way to downgrade the OS version manuall somehow to a version that works? Does a disk format or anything else help solve this or are we in the hands of Sky until a fix is provided??

Very frustrating!

Cheers
    N
  • Options
    <Finch><Finch> Posts: 3,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it on 4.01a Pace - only select channels like ITV2 (not 4 though?). Recorded programs from ITV2 skip (Chicago Hope) but programmes on ABC1, Living...are fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I get the distinct impression from reading this and from my own experience that this is getting worse. In my case it started last year on Saturday nights on ITV1 (recording Ant & Dec). That seemed to clear up, but it then became exclusively a channel 4 problem especially in the afternoon or early morning.
    Now it seems more prevalent, and the ITV 1 symptom has started to creep back in too. I've got 4.01a now and as I say it's not better, It's worse !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    4.01 actually helped me, 4.02 has made it worse (Amstrad) but not sure if this was coincidence or just fan / hard disk getting noisy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One thing I forgot to add in my earlier post is that it is all definately worse if you are trying to watch something that has been previously recorded or paused/rewound at the same time as another recording is taking place.
    N
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Also as far as I can tell if you are watching the programme as you are recording it, the sound also jumps.

I've been on to Sky about this and they're insisting it's not a known problem and that it's likely to be my box that is faulty and needs an engineer call out. But surely if this was the case it would happen on every channel.
  • Options
    EmmGeeEmmGee Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Not the same problem but similar.

Lately I have been getting small breaks/jumps in sound and vision when watching recordings. It seems to be worse when I was dual-recording.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Well, in my case you don't have to be making any recordings for the sound to jump, or pixelations to appear. It does it as you watch it live with no recording taking place. Naturally, if I am recording, then that is affected, and I see what I would have seen 'live' during the playback.