Options

Clarification on THE most controversial line of the series

patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK - so here's the clip so we don't have any more he said she said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV8_3kcEzIY

Please look at the section between 15:09 and 15:23 before responding; and listen and watch closely.

Two things have been repeated ad nauseum on here over the last two days.

1. Jim said 'if you was my adopted daughter I'd still be bathing you'. He didn't, she said I'm like your adopted daughter and he said 'if you was my daughter I'd still be bathing you'.

2. Casey didn't mind - it's just banter. Look very closely at Casey's expression as and after she drinks her water. She very much DOES mind. This conversation, to her, was a thank you for being protective and what does she get, sexual innuendo.

Forget all of the comments about 'perv' etc. etc. Just concentrate on the two points discussed above; and the prevalence for rewriting of fact on this board in defence of a forum favourite.

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a pervy thing to say and he's continued to make sexual references to Casey since.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    This video is not available in your country.

But I do agree with your comments!
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I think Evander's comments are the most controversial.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - so here's the clip so we don't have any more he said she said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV8_3kcEzIY

Please look at the section between 15:09 and 15:23 before responding; and listen and watch closely.

Two things have been repeated ad nauseum on here over the last two days.

1. Jim said 'if you was my adopted daughter I'd still be bathing you'. He didn't, she said I'm like your adopted daughter and he said 'if you was my daughter I'd still be bathing you'.

2. Casey didn't mind - it's just banter. Look very closely at Casey's expression as and after she drinks her water. She very much DOES mind. This conversation, to her, was a thank you for being protective and what does she get, sexual innuendo.

Forget all of the comments about 'perv' etc. etc. Just concentrate on the two points discussed above; and the prevalence for rewriting of fact on this board in defence of a forum favourite.

Actually it's an old well joke from Bernard Manning.
  • Options
    michaelkegnanmichaelkegnan Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim is Satan.
  • Options
    JanisElizabethJanisElizabeth Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a cringy thing to say and he probably wishes he hasn't said it but I do believe he said it trying to be funny and nothing else. Unfortunately it just wasn't very funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Heartache wrote: »
    Actually it's an old well joke from Bernard Manning.

BIB - all the more reason why it shouldn't be used. Times have changed - it's no longer considered funny - of which I'm sure that Jim is aware.
  • Options
    DingbattsDingbatts Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Jim should be hung, drawn and quartered, at the very least! How dare he crack an old joke?
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever you post .... It won't change the fact Jim is popular ...
  • Options
    BlueStreakBlueStreak Posts: 11,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dingbatts wrote: »
    I think Jim should be hung, drawn and quartered, at the very least! How dare he crack an old joke?

Last ditch attempt coming through LOL!

I agree Ding, totally ridiculous imo. A joke is a joke, you either take it as such or mount a high horse.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever you post .... It won't change the fact Jim is popular ...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't you correct someone on here recently, emphasising that Jim said 'adopted daughter'? Care to address that?
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a cringy thing to say and he probably wishes he hasn't said it but I do believe he said it trying to be funny and nothing else. Unfortunately it just wasn't very funny.

Agree, not even remotely.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man is a cultural dinosaur, I'd expect nothing less.
  • Options
    Dextor_MorganDextor_Morgan Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn.
    I happen to think Linda calling Jim a c**t was worse. But hey ho it's all opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For it to be clarified, wouldn't Casey need to do that herself?

It is rather futile being offended on someones behalf when in reality, they likely weren't offended in the first place.

But i suppose, we all gotta hate on Jim right?
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim has said other pervy things to Casey as well though.
    "Shall I unzip my trousers"
    "Does that mean we can have sex"
    "I looked at your bum for longer than a gentleman should"
    etc.

Yes it is all said in a jokey way, but it's inappropriate.

Luisa to WIN!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlueStreak wrote: »
    Last ditch attempt coming through LOL!

I agree Ding, totally ridiculous imo. A joke is a joke, you either take it as such or mount a high horse.

Last ditch attempt at what? Clarifying what's being repeatedly misrepresented? If so, of course. What's wrong with that?
    bc11 wrote: »
    For it to be clarified, wouldn't Casey need to do that herself?

It is rather futile being offended on someones behalf when in reality, they likely weren't offended in the first place.

But i suppose, we all gotta hate on Jim right?

I'm not offended on her behalf at all. And I don't 'hate' anyone on a reality TV show. I don't vote; never have, never will - it's just a TV show.

I do enjoy a good debate, though; and facts are central to that. Did you watch the clip as requested? Because if you did you will have seen Casey's expression at the end.....
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't you correct someone on here recently, emphasising that Jim said 'adopted daughter'? Care to address that?

No ...I'm not going to get into a petty row with you because you don't like Jim and I do

As for this being THE most conraverial line in the entire series...I have to ask if you watched it all if you believe this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No ...I'm not going to get into a petty row with you because you don't like Jim and I do

As for this being THE most conraverial line in the entire series...I have to ask if you watched it all if you believe this

How is it a petty row? What he said is being actively misrepresented by his fans. Now that the clip is up, and people can see it; I would imagine it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say 'I got that one wrong'.
  • Options
    DingbattsDingbatts Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We could also look at the other side of this. Watch this clip from 2.21 in and hear Casey, in her own words, what Jim means to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTrRbCUHjp4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Last ditch attempt at what? Clarifying what's being repeatedly misrepresented? If so, of course. What's wrong with that?

I'm not offended on her behalf at all. And I don't 'hate' anyone on a reality TV show. I don't vote; never have, never will - it's just a TV show.

I do enjoy a good debate, though; and facts are central to that. Did you watch the clip as requested? Because if you did you will have seen Casey's expression at the end.....

As do I. I see this forum full of moans if it doesn't suit the housemate of the forum member's choice, but the reality is - it's here for us to voice our opinions. And it's also up to ALL of us to contribute to those opinions, whether someone likes it or not!
  • Options
    white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn.
    I happen to think Linda calling Jim a c**t was worse. But hey ho it's all opinion.

Yup. Jim trotting out old 1970's gags and attributing that 'if you can fake Sincerity' quote to someone other than Noel Coward is just his 'shtick'. We oldies heard these lines back in the 1960s & '70s as Routines--and not 'personal' unlike the Linda example.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This is the poster's OPINION and this is a forum to discuss those opinions. Personally, I thought that Evander's comment about homosexuals was the most controversial but this isn't my thread - doesn't stop me from offering an opinion though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dingbatts wrote: »
    We could also look at the other side of this. Watch this clip from 2.21 in and hear Casey, in her own words, what Jim means to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTrRbCUHjp4

I can't access that - it's bloody irritating how Ch5 block so many videos. >:(

Anyway, I think it's interesting how much Casey has come to look up to Jim - and sweet. In fact, I think that's what makes his way of speaking to her so inappropriate. It takes completely from the protective role that she obviously appreciates; but as WD said elsewhere, it appears she can't have one without the other.
  • Options
    BlueStreakBlueStreak Posts: 11,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If and when Casey states she was offended, I'll get back to you. In the meantime I am not going to get offended on Casey's behalf.