Options

Windows 8

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    The "ribbon" in Office works pretty good; been using it for quite a while now - definitely preferable for most people, and for old fuddy duddies like myself you can still use the old keyboard shortcuts as you always could.
    I can remember some key board short cuts, but not all, I can remember a lot from Vegas, but I would not use anything from Office enough to remember them, apart from the obvious ones.
    MS should have gave people the choice,
    The desktop on my Windows 8.1 tablet works pretty much the same as it does on my Windows 7 devices. No obvious sign of a ribbon there ...
    Then you are not looking, Explorer ( not IE) uses the ribbon.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Not really a start menu, it got some control panel stuff, but not a program launcher. Like i can not right click and say launch Vegas from it.

Not as you know it....But, you could launch it in two clicks just the same from the W8.1 start screen.
    It's just done differently.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then you are not looking, Explorer ( not IE) uses the ribbon.

Well, it wasn't very clear what you meant. Desktop. Somewhere on.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, another question, would those using the RC build pay for a Win 10 upgrade? If so, how much would you pay?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Not as you know it....But, you could launch it in two clicks just the same from the W8.1 start screen.
    It's just done differently.

The problem with the start screen, is that it reminds me of people who fill their desktop with icons. I saw one a few weeks back, covered in icons, not worth having background picture as you could not see it.
    I hate Icons on my desktop, so I was glad when windows 8 came out and allowed me to put short cuts onto the taskbar. so all those tiles just remind me me of a desktop full of icons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Well, it wasn't very clear what you meant. Desktop. Somewhere on.

Explorer is the only part of windows that uses a menu system, so that would be the only place the ribbon would replace, since Internet Exploder got rid of menus a few versions ago. Oh paint and wordpad now uses the ribbon as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, another question, would those using the RC build pay for a Win 10 upgrade? If so, how much would you pay?

No. Because the difference between 8.1 and ten is not worth it. in fact from my limited use of Windows 10 I do not think I would update even if it was free. It is too messy.

It is a technical preview, not a RC
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Because the difference between 8.1 and ten is not worth it. in fact from my limited use of Windows 10 I do not think I would update even if it was free. It is too messy.

It is a technical preview, not a RC

Way too early to make a judgment. Most of the features, design etc are not in there yet. Wait for 21st Jan when they will be showing off a lot more.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Way too early to make a judgment. Most of the features, design etc are not in there yet. Wait for 21st Jan when they will be showing off a lot more.

Just ignore him. Every time he says he won't use the next release of Windows, then he does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Just ignore him. Every time he says he won't use the next release of Windows, then he does.

I always read his writing like it's a she?
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always read his writing like it's a she?

No he's a he.

He's put up 26 of the 86 replies in this thread but he's just repeating himself, he does it all the time especially on any thread to do with Windows or Talktalk...over seven posts per day now; very tiresome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know it is early days, but this metro apps on the desktop is not a good idea. In fact I do not see why we need these apps on a desktop, oh maybe i do, it is a way for MS to try and get us into a walled garden and then try and get us to buy software from their store only.
    give it time, it will come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    No he's a he.

He's put up 26 of the 86 replies in this thread but he's just repeating himself, he does it all the time especially on any thread to do with Windows or Talktalk...over seven posts per day now; very tiresome.

If you do not like it then get lost then, simple as that.
    you do not have to answer, yo do not have to reply, you know, you do not even to read my posts.

you still not come back to me in the So much for fibre thread,, because you know what I put is right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

i doubt i will this time, no advantage over windows 8.1 to be honest. I also only got 8.1 because someone else paid for it.
    Also too much software on the computer to muck about reinstalling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i doubt i will this time, no advantage over windows 8.1 to be honest. I also only got 8.1 because someone else paid for it.
    Also too much software on the computer to muck about reinstalling.

Yeah, yeah. You said that about 7 to 8 and 8 to 8.1.

If I was a betting man I would put money on you using Windows 10 in a years time.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do not like it then get lost then, simple as that.
    you do not have to answer, yo do not have to reply, you know, you do not even to read my posts.

you still not come back to me in the So much for fibre thread,, because you know what I put is right.

I did answer but you did not like the reply because it does not fit your agenda.

Back on track, it makes sense to make W10 a free upgrade IMHO, its slicker that W7 and will I'd imagine push MS sales for other software and even phones.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    It's so easy to learn and use that our next door neighbour's dog is using it (without the need for Classic Shell).

I have long since come to the conclusion that those who say they can't get to grips with this so called confusing and new fangled OS shouldn't really be using any form of computer in the first place.

Perhaps cant get to grips with it but why should someone with a desktop pc (the majority i think) use something designed for touch screen. Im still on windows 7 because I dont want an OS designed for a touchscreen when im using a mouse and keyboard that would be a down grade for me or at least a balance between a slightly faster functioning OS and an inconvenient navigation system. There simpy isnt the need to learn it or get used to it, why should I? It is clearly inferior for mouse and keyboard and so no need to work around it or install an add on just dont use it, dont learn it why bother when it doesnt offer any significant advantages
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I would spend the money (certainly not cheap) if at install it asked you whether you were using a mouse and keyboard or touchscreen and adapted its OS to the option you need.

This is also about principle. I dont like the blurring of lines between inferior mobile devices and superior desktop machines. I dont like the use of the word app instead of software. Apps are crap little applications on mobile phones and tablets that dont do very much as the devices are limited. I dont want a future where desktops are downgraded to the level of ARM devices. I dont mind tablets and phones becoming better and more flexible and powerful but not downgrading desktops to force people onto more restrictive and less powerful OS. I see windows 8 as an attempt to tip toe towards giving less power to the consumer. I want a desktop OS not a mobile OS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    Perhaps cant get to grips with it but why should someone with a desktop pc (the majority i think) use something designed for touch screen. Im still on windows 7 because I dont want an OS designed for a touchscreen when im using a mouse and keyboard that would be a down grade for me or at least a balance between a slightly faster functioning OS and an inconvenient navigation system. There simpy isnt the need to learn it or get used to it, why should I? It is clearly inferior for mouse and keyboard and so no need to work around it or install an add on just dont use it, dont learn it why bother when it doesnt offer any significant advantages

I don't see the start screen much. Like most users, I only use a handful of applications most of the time. These are pinned to the taskbar in my desktop which where most of my time is spent.

If I want to find something else (a file, an application, a setting etc), in Win7 I would hit the start button (on the keyboard) type in a few letters and hit return when it found what I wanted. I do the exact same thing in W8 and now W8.1

Yes, W8 accommodates touch but it works plenty great with just a mouse and keyboard. And having a touchscreen is nice, I like being able to combine mouse, keyboard and touch, it's not either/or.

Windows 10 will be even more accommodating of non-touch use than Windows 8. It will adapt on the fly to be more or less friendly to touch depending on whether a keyboard is connected to the PC.

Aside from the Start Screen, there are many enhancements in W8 like better IE, better Paint, better file explorer, settings sync to onedrive, native integration of onedrive into the filesystem, "placeholders" method of onedrive, a secure apps store, improved security especially against rootkits, fast boot, better file transfer dialogs, better backup system, better task manager, contacts and calendar integration to outlook.com account, thin storage, storage spaces, Windows To Go, the list goes on and on of improvements that do not need to involve touch.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When MS had introduced mouse they were ridiculed and now it's an integral part of every computer. I am not saying that changes in W8 are of the same consequence, but you certainly won't invent anything groundbreaking sitting on your arse doing nothing. I commend them for trying.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    reglip wrote: »
    I would spend the money (certainly not cheap) if at install it asked you whether you were using a mouse and keyboard or touchscreen and adapted its OS to the option you need.

This is also about principle. I dont like the blurring of lines between inferior mobile devices and superior desktop machines. I dont like the use of the word app instead of software. Apps are crap little applications on mobile phones and tablets that dont do very much as the devices are limited. I dont want a future where desktops are downgraded to the level of ARM devices. I dont mind tablets and phones becoming better and more flexible and powerful but not downgrading desktops to force people onto more restrictive and less powerful OS. I see windows 8 as an attempt to tip toe towards giving less power to the consumer. I want a desktop OS not a mobile OS
    There is no problem using it with a mouse..............Fine if you don't like it, but, don't try and put your lack of knowledge forward as a fact....
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Not really a start menu, it got some control panel stuff, but not a program launcher. Like i can not right click and say launch Vegas from it.

Yes but the idea is to put your most used progs on the task bar (known as the Dock with OS X) Why people get so hung up on something so simple and obvious is beyond me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Yes but the idea is to put your most used progs on the task bar (known as the Dock with OS X) Why people get so hung up on something so simple and obvious is beyond me.
    Using Windows 8 is not difficult for you, but understanding that other people have a different opinion obviously is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    Microsoft already make available to manufacturers a version of 8.1 for free, it's called Windows 8.1 with Bing. There's no functional difference between this version and others it just has the added requirement that manufacturers can't change the search engine (end users can though). This is what is allowing manufacturers to release machines to compete with Chromebooks on price, but it wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers started shipping it on all hardware except that which comes with Windows Pro.
    I know about Windows with bing, but I thought it was only for devices with a screen below a certain size.
    You can nto really compare a chromebook with a windows based machine, or in fact a linux or OSX based. A chromebook uses a browser and that is it, not possible to run proper software on it, the others you can. Also at some point, the chrome book needs to be put onto the net, the others don't.. But I do know what you are getting at.
    I think there's a strong possibility that Microsoft may extend this to all. Have the basic Windows OS available for free and charge for the Enterprise/Pro/Server versions. Apple, Google, Linux, FreeBSD, Haiku, etc already release the OS for free so Microsoft may be forced to go this route in the end anyway so better to embrace it now and get some additional good will.

I still can't see it to be honest, MS is there to make money and if it starts giving away it OS it is not going to make the money.
    I know they sell hardware and other software, but windows is still their main money spinner.
    If MS eventually get windows to be a closed garden, whihc is what I think they want to to do, them maybe yes, because they can make money by selling software through their store.
    Mind you if Windows did ever get that way i would drop it pretty quick

There are still many machines running XP out there and many areas of the world where pirated software is on the majority of computers. By making Windows 10 (with Bing) free for all Microsoft could move a large chunk of the world's computers to a modern codebase legally and still maintain their lock in.

A lot of machines running XP, I know so many people who still have a XP machine and still see no reason to change. That will change when people update, they will get what ever is available at the time they update.
    Even if it was free some people would not update, I know a few of them as well who runs windows 7 and will not update to 8, so the chance of them updating to 10 is pretty slim. but these people are not your average person who goes out and buy a computer with the OS on, they either build their own or get me to build them and they have got a retail version of 7.

Who to say that Ms would make it free to XP users? They did not with windows 8, in fact they did not make windows 8 free at all. Mine was £25 and that was a update from windows 7
    I know my sister's computers would be upgraded to 10 in short order if it were released for free, and i might even run a few copies myself (virtualised of course. No point wasting real hardware on Windows).

I would stick it on the next door neighbours machine, would be better than Vista, saying that I am going to stick 7 on there when they decide to buy a copy.

I would prefer not to run Windows on this machine to be honest, but i have got little choice, that is why it is dual booting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    When MS had introduced mouse they were ridiculed and now it's an integral part of every computer. I am not saying that changes in W8 are of the same consequence, but you certainly won't invent anything groundbreaking sitting on your arse doing nothing. I commend them for trying.

The mouse was introduced by Xerox and so was the WIMP GUI, I think Apple took it to the next level with the Lisa.