Options

Boy George..nasty piece of work & a control freak?

i4ui4u Posts: 54,995
Forum Member
There was a documentary about Culture Club reforming and although George presented himself as 'friendly' he was extremely nasty suggesting one the band had a knee operation to get out of an appearance.

When they were in Spain recording it was George who'd terminate conversations and walk of in a huff, it was all about him and his needs, stuff anyone else.

Having set up a UK tour George decided to change management meaning they had three managers who could not agree what to do, apparently it was George who decided they weren't going to do Live Aid in the 80's.

After their disasterous appearance on Strictly George cancelled the planned tour with just days before it was due to start saying he'd been told to rest his throat, I don't recall any of the others claiming he'd pulled a sicky but they refused take any further part in the documentary.

So we were left with George being filmed meeting 8-10 fans who'd flown to London from around the world to find out the shows had been cancelled, thus George was made to look good. One of the last shots was him looking at a photo taken of the group to promote the tour and him saying it was a good photo......of him!

And his often repeated phrase was, 'let's move on' which allowed him to walk away from problems he created.

Comments

• Options
    birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this, I too thought the same, he came across as nasty and very narcissistic.

The other band members intimated that he has always been the same, I thought they were very patient with him.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this, I too thought the same, he came across as nasty and very narcissistic.

The other band members intimated that he has always been the same, I thought they were very patient with him.

Given he's there only shot of ever making any money again I'm not surprised that they are.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Given he's there only shot of ever making any money again I'm not surprised that they are.

Yes, he was (and remains) bigger than the band.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you about him. I used to be a big fan in the 80's and 90's but his whole attitude really has put him off of him. I guess he has always been this way, but I think earlier in his career you couldn't see it as much because we didn't have social media and as many reality programs. HIs management in the early days hid how he was better from the public.

The main problem with him now is that his voice is destroyed so he doesn't sound great live. If you're going to be a diva like that, people will forgive you if you deliver the goods musically. Most of the time he doesn't. It's fine to hold people you work with to high standards of performance and behaviour, but you have to demand as much from yourself as do from others and he doesn't.
    Madonna can be a diva sometimes (even though I love her) though she' s not as bad as George but she delivers it when the cards are down in her live shows for the fans. George most of the time doesn't. She is just as hard on herself if she makes a mistake as she is on the people around her. George it seems to me lashes out at other people but can't see his own shortcomings and mistakes.

I feel so sorry for the other guys. They want to be like Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet still touring, releasing new music and basically enjoying time in the spotlight so they put up with him. I wish George could be more like Simon or Tony Hadley who are decent people who although the star obviously can be more generous to their fellow bandmates.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the documentary is on catch-up, I'll watch it on Monday.

Suppose years of drug abuse is now taking its toll.

He had an exquisite talent.
    He was horrendous on SCD and it was quite sad seeing him being just a shadow of his former self.:(
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I think he's still living in the 80s mentally, except with a vegan tofu twist.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    To be honest I think he's still living in the 80s mentally, except with a vegan tofu twist.
    that's beautiful, wilehelmas. xxx

I'm tickled when I find out a celebrity gave a different impression in interviews to the dirty of what they're like in real life. I mean who would of thought it of people like Cilla, Titmarsh, etc? :D
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished watching the documentary. Fascinating stuff. George comes across as being really hard work. I think Jon, Roy and Mikey came across well.
  • Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I watched them on Strictly playing Karma Chameleon and I could not believe they were allowed to go on to the stage with his voice in the state it was :o Particularly, when a tour had been organised to start in Glasgow at the beginning of December. :(

Another thing I noticed was when the line "you come and gooooooo-oh!" came around, George missed the note and looked as though he given up the will to live. :o

I also wonder what the Strictly contestants thought of the performance if they got the chance to see it though :D
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately for the rest of them if they want to make any decent money they have to put up with him as he's their meal ticket. It didn't work out too good for them when they tried to replace him
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a real Diva isn't he and wants it to be all about him. But to be fair Culture Club was all about him - he was the voice of the group and the stand out character. Without him there is no Culture Club.

I still find him quite an interesting and colourful character and enjoy seeing him interviewed. Mind you - I wouldn't want him in my life in any capacity as he'd be draining.

Will try and watch it on catch up too as love him or hate him - he's never dull.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    It was quite good, and nice to see the other three as well as aside from knowing about Johns relationship with George I know very little about any of them but they came across quite well despite the "pressures"

I would of liked to hear the band discuss the tour cancellation.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thom001 wrote: »
    Well, I watched them on Strictly playing Karma Chameleon and I could not believe they were allowed to go on to the stage with his voice in the state it was :o Particularly, when a tour had been organised to start in Glasgow at the beginning of December. :(

Another thing I noticed was when the line "you come and gooooooo-oh!" came around, George missed the note and looked as though he given up the will to live. :o

I also wonder what the Strictly contestants thought of the performance if they got the chance to see it though :D

Isn't it just that his voice has matured? I heard a new record by him a few times on the radio recently and his voice has become more gravelly, but he sounded good.

Didn't see them on Strictly, so can't comment on that performance.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    He's a real Diva isn't he and wants it to be all about him. But to be fair Culture Club was all about him - he was the voice of the group and the stand out character. Without him there is no Culture Club.

I still find him quite an interesting and colourful character and enjoy seeing him interviewed. Mind you - I wouldn't want him in my life in any capacity as he'd be draining.

Will try and watch it on catch up too as love him or hate him - he's never dull.

People always say Culture Club was all about him, but it really wasn't. He was the voice and wrote the lyrics, but the other guys wrote the music. George doesn't play an instrument. He hasn't had the same success as a solo artist so he needs good musicians to write the actual music. Yes, without him, there's no Culture Club. But without the other guys, he hasn't had chart success either. I actually do find him dull. It's always the same tired bitching and having a go at other people and throwing tantrums. Very predictable.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,995
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    People always say Culture Club was all about him, but it really wasn't. He was the voice and wrote the lyrics, but the other guys wrote the music. George doesn't play an instrument. He hasn't had the same success as a solo artist so he needs good musicians to write the actual music. Yes, without him, there's no Culture Club. But without the other guys, he hasn't had chart success either. I actually do find him dull. It's always the same tired bitching and having a go at other people and throwing tantrums. Very predictable.

And it seemed to be George needing/wanting Culture Club to reform as witnessed by the last scene of him phoning the other members to arrange a meeting over coffee.

I forgot to mention the scene where he said they used to divide the song credits 4 ways but he said that wasn't going to happen this time, I wondered if the others were aware that. Why would the other three bond together if only 1 or 2 of them would financially do better under any new song writing deal?

Was it all about control and revenge by George?
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    And it seemed to be George needing/wanting Culture Club to reform as witnessed by the last scene of him phoning the other members to arrange a meeting over coffee.

I forgot to mention the scene where he said they used to divide the song credits 4 ways but he said that wasn't going to happen this time, I wondered if the others were aware that. Why would the other three bond together if only 1 or 2 of them would financially do better under any new song writing deal?

Was it all about control and revenge by George?

..........or perhaps money.;-)
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think he seems quite a sad figure really, like a lot of camp queens. He talks bitchy, and dresses flamboyantly, almost as a kind of armour. Behind it there is probably a lonely and tragic person. I used to see him at clubs like TRADE etc in London. He would hang around chatting to whoever would speak to him, but I recall feeling that he looked lonely and sad.:(
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    This sounds interesting. What channel was this on, I'll see if I can find it on catch-up or something.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    This sounds interesting. What channel was this on, I'll see if I can find it on catch-up or something.

Its Karma to Calamity, you'll catch it on Bbc iPlayer. Worth a watch.
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Thanks! Will check it out.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boy George is a weapons grade diva bitch. He's well known for it and always has been. Good voice on him but a total prick.
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Culture Club first appeared I always assumed the George was lovely and warm and cuddly but it soon became apparent there was something quite nasty about him. Now here he is in his fifties still expecting the world to revolve around him. I think he was peed off in Spain because it's apparent that the other band members have managed to function in their lives quite happily without him and they no longer fawn and defer to him the way they might have when they were younger. It's all still me me me with George. The other guys seemed like fun company.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George came across very badly.
    What were the fans thinking at that Glasgow show? he sounded dreadful
    Can't see the reformation happening at any time as he's a complete prick
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Can't see the reformation happening at any time as he's a complete prick

They've just announced dates in America.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?
    Well lets see what happens next....