The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ps I'm completely discounting Finland. I don't think they have a hope in hell of winning, sympathy vote or not. If it makes the final, the juries will ensure it finishes on the right hand side of the leaderboard.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the the beauty of the unknown - there's not factual proof to back that up because it hasn't happened. Only what's occurred previously. But it's a lot easier to stomach knowing it was the idiocy of Joe Public than a few not so knowledgable BBC executives.
    Not sure if that makes it any easier to stomach, tbh... In fact the opposite, having this very recent experience of such! ;)
    EuroChris wrote: »
    It would be a good winner for the contests image as it stands the best chance of getting somewhere in the charts.
    On the contrary, for such a boring generic song to win would be bad for the contest's image. (And in addition I would lose the will to ever watch it again...)
    And since when were pop charts any measure of "good music"..?
    Damien. wrote: »
    I played Heroes to my sister and after 30 seconds she said 'god that's crap'.
    My reaction exactly :p
    Ps I'm completely discounting Finland. I don't think they have a hope in hell of winning, sympathy vote or not. If it makes the final, the juries will ensure it finishes on the right hand side of the leaderboard.
    I don't think we'd win either, but it's just so funny how many people think they have a crystal ball...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GreekFan wrote: »
    Ah, these "misheard lyrics" videos are often so far-fetched, meaning I wonder how could anyone seriously hear those things in it :p

This is imo one of the funniest and actually not-so-far fetched (Eurovision-related) ones:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-KZVcisCOY

And just for laughs, a classic - "I want to be a polar bear that wears a bra" :Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIlw9Z_dF3Y
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riga will have a Preview Party again this year. Anyone remember last year, where we had no idea what was happening and then all of a sudden, people started singing?! No information as to whether or not it will be broadcast this year, though.

Anyways, Currently Aminata, Melanie Rene, Vaidas & Monika and Nina Sublatti are confirmed. The Riga Beaver is not yet confirmed.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ireland confirmed for JESC. Broadcaster will be TG4, which is a Irish language only broadcaster, meaning the entry will likely be in Irish rather than English.
  • GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Ah, these "misheard lyrics" videos are often so far-fetched, meaning I wonder how could anyone seriously hear those things in it :p

This is imo one of the funniest and actually not-so-far fetched (Eurovision-related) ones:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-KZVcisCOY

And just for laughs, a classic - "I want to be a polar bear that wears a bra" :Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIlw9Z_dF3Y

Gold stuff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we'd win either, but it's just so funny how many people think they have a crystal ball...[/QUOTE]

Sorry wasnt trying to cause offence and obviously i dont have a crystal ball - however i think it is pretty certain that whatever televote Finland get, they are likely to get an extremely low vote from panels of (apparently) songwriters / musicians / industry experts. Thats my prediction anyway, but obviously there is always a chance that i could get it massively wrong. Its in the same way im pretty certain that the UK will be in the bottom 4, though there is always the chance Europe will love it and Electro Velvet will storm to victory. I think its pretty unlikely though.
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we getting a revamp of the Czech song or did I imagine it was due to happen?:confused: I do quite like it as it is, but it could do with a "kick" in the last third to really lift it imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we getting a revamp of the Czech song or did I imagine it was due to happen?:confused: I do quite like it as it is, but it could do with a "kick" in the last third to really lift it imo.
    I hope you imagined, to me it's already perfect :)
    Sorry wasnt trying to cause offence and obviously i dont have a crystal ball - however i think it is pretty certain that whatever televote Finland get, they are likely to get an extremely low vote from panels of (apparently) songwriters / musicians / industry experts. Thats my prediction anyway, but obviously there is always a chance that i could get it massively wrong.
    Well, in the UMK final, PKN did get 10 or 12 points from the musicians' jury (can't remember now which it was) ;) So at least Finnish musicians/industry experts seem to appreciate them, for some reason.

Love this tweet from the ESC creative producer:
    "Recognized this years rules for #Eurovision composers: Begin calm and easy. Continue. Start actual song after about 2 and a half minutes." :D
    https://twitter.com/ESC2015CP/status/579963778869100544

(Though there's at least one song this doesn't apply to... ;))
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you imagined, to me it's already perfect :)

Well, in the UMK final, PKN did get 10 or 12 points from the musicians' jury (can't remember now which it was) ;) So at least Finnish musicians/industry experts seem to appreciate them, for some reason.

Love this tweet from the ESC creative producer:
    "Recognized this years rules for #Eurovision composers: Begin calm and easy. Continue. Start actual song after about 2 and a half minutes." :D
    https://twitter.com/ESC2015CP/status/579963778869100544

(Though there's at least one song this doesn't apply to... ;))

I wonder (and correct me if im wrong), the finnish juries ranked them so highly as they were riding the crest of a wave of publicity, and gave a kind of supportive vote?

Or maybe there are people who genuinely do like the song. Im a big punk music fan (particularly older punk music - fugazi, bad religion, rancid, nofx) and as a fan of the genre, i think it is a terrible example.

Anyway i dont want to appear as though im attacking Finland in general, as i usually like their style of entries. I have a real soft spot for paradise oskar :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder (and correct me if im wrong), the finnish juries ranked them so highly as they were riding the crest of a wave of publicity, and gave a kind of supportive vote?

Or maybe there are people who genuinely do like the song. Im a big punk music fan (particularly older punk music - fugazi, bad religion, rancid, nofx) and as a fan of the genre, i think it is a terrible example.

Anyway i dont want to appear as though im attacking Finland in general, as i usually like their style of entries. I have a real soft spot for paradise oskar :)
    No, I didn't take it that way at all :)

Well, I cannot know what influenced the musicians' jury to rank them so high of course, but I don't think it was publicity... Before the final I read their interview, and they stated autenticity and individuality as some of their ranking principles ;)

And you may not believe but there are many people even on the Finnish eurovision forum that genuinely do love the entry. (I had some heated arguments with them earlier but we're fine now ;))
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And breaking news, the running order of the semis revealed:

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=running_order_of_semi-finals_revealed
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    I can't decide how good this is/isn't for Ireland.
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda a harsh on Israel and Latvia as always. Great draw for slovenia
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming that the running order affects anyone performing in the Top half?
  • Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Lithuania :(

Finishing the 2nd semi on Poland feel like a bit of a flat way to finish...
  • CuishlaCuishla Posts: 16,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Ireland confirmed for JESC. Broadcaster will be TG4, which is a Irish language only broadcaster, meaning the entry will likely be in Irish rather than English.

Now if we could only do the same and have one in Irish for Eurovision or at least one in the national final. It's been far too long since ""An Bon Bon Carr"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shar_ds wrote: »
    Poor Lithuania :(
    Why is starting the show bad...?

Moldova though seems a horrible way to kick off semi 1! :p
    Well, isn't 2nd seen as the death slot...
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member

Usually yes, but with Lithuania and San Marino, it may stand out as a classier, more professional song. I can't see Lithuania or San Marino qualifying, and having no qualifiers among the first three in the semi finals seems unlikely to me. Among the first five songs in SF2, Ireland seems the only likely qualifier, but 2nd is not a great slot, like you say. Tough scenario.
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd choice for Poland closing semi 2. Love Georgia closing semi 1.

Ireland have been given a dud slot which I think is a shame. I think Israel might get scuppered by the juries to qualify tbh.
  • alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Dear lord what were they thinking ending semi 2 with Poland?!
  • Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is starting the show bad...?

Moldova though seems a horrible way to kick off semi 1! :p

Same reason as Slot 2, people might not be watching the start of the show and those that are might well have switched over by the time the voting starts (that's always been my theory anyway!)

(though I've just gone away and done some googling, and Slot 1 appears to be actually highly favourable! Almost as likely to qualify as the traditional 13-17 pimp slots)
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Poor Vaidika. :( Slovenia will stand out nicely between those two bits of boredom. Pleased for Albania and Georgia!
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're in a very friendly semi anyway (unlike that other ex-Soviet / southern European one) and have the UK and Australia voting, so I reckon Molly should be OK.
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    Interesting draw, a particularly favourable one for Slovenia which I'm pleased about.

Moldova and Armenia to open SF1? Oh well at least it gets them out of the way.
This discussion has been closed.