Options

Drinking laws

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
Forum Member
✭✭
Right, oh wise fellow DigiSpyers... I have been having a discussion with some friends and my husband about this: Is it illegal for passengers in a car to drink alcohol in it? Say, you are on a trip somewhere and you have a can of beer that you share and the driver touches none of it? It seems like an easy question to answer but I have tried and failed to find an adequate reply.
I remember years ago, when I was younger, we used to take something in the car with us and it never occurred to me this might be wrong. any policemen or such on here?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    batmobile2 wrote: »
    Right, oh wise fellow DigiSpyers... I have been having a discussion with some friends and my husband about this: Is it illegal for passengers in a car to drink alcohol in it? Say, you are on a trip somewhere and you have a can of beer that you share and the driver touches none of it? It seems like an easy question to answer but I have tried and failed to find an adequate reply.
    I remember years ago, when I was younger, we used to take something in the car with us and it never occurred to me this might be wrong. any policemen or such on here?
    Thanks.

No it's not illegal :)
    .......and i'm a police woman ;)
  • Options
    JuceeJucee Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hope not, as I would have broken the law on many, many occassions if that's the case
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry stumblebum! :D

I was never sure, but suddenly thought about the number of times I probably broke the law, too, if it were illegal. I missed an opportunity the other week on the way to a party as my husband told me it was illegal. Hmph. ;) Party pooper!
    Thanks muchly.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it's not technically illegal for the driver to drink any as long as it doesn't take them over the limit?
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, the driver has a responsibility to maintain control of his vehicle, so if the drinking causes him to drive carelessly he can be done for it. If the driver is a learner, then his supervising passenger must be within the drink drive limit as he is techncially in charge of the vehicle.

In the US, you get locked up for simply carrying an open bottle or container of booze in a vehicle, unless it's in the boot / trunk.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking that you aren't allowed alcohol on coaches. I've been on coaches where the driver has specifically removed alcohol from passengers.

If that is true what is different with a car?
  • Options
    MonkeyBumMonkeyBum Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that you aren't allowed alcohol on coaches. I've been on coaches where the driver has specifically removed alcohol from passengers.

If that is true what is different with a car?

That could be because drunk people could disturb the other passengers?

However, on a long journey it might add a bit of fun into it :D coach drivers take note! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MonkeyBum wrote: »
    That could be because drunk people could disturb the other passengers?

However, on a long journey it might add a bit of fun into it :D coach drivers take note! :p

You can't drink on public transport buses or hired caoches.

I don't know why as you can drink on trains and planes.

Suspect it has to do with distraction of the driver.

A car is not public transport and the police can't do anything unless they are breaking the law.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit off topic (forgive me :o ), but i read that it has been suggested that drunk people walking should be fined? It said (as i remember) any person walking about drunk, who was 3 times over the legal limit should be fined £100. I read this in the Sun (so it may well be crap) and the Express (okay i may well be niave), but does anybody know if this is really being considered?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Bit off topic (forgive me :o ), but i read that it has been suggested that drunk people walking should be fined? It said (as i remember) any person walking about drunk, who was 3 times over the legal limit should be fined £100. I read this in the Sun (so it may well be crap) and the Express (okay i may well be niave), but does anybody know if this is really being considered?

There's no need really is there - there are already appropriate offences in place to deal with drunk people in public places.
  • Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    stumblebum wrote: »
    There's no need really is there - there are already appropriate offences in place to deal with drunk people in public places.

There's no need for a lot of laws the present government has brought in to cover lots of things that were already covered, but it hasn't stopped them. Over legislation seems to be something the government loves.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    However, the driver has a responsibility to maintain control of his vehicle, so if the drinking causes him to drive carelessly he can be done for it. If the driver is a learner, then his supervising passenger must be within the drink drive limit as he is techncially in charge of the vehicle.

In the US, you get locked up for simply carrying an open bottle or container of booze in a vehicle, unless it's in the boot / trunk.

But at a traffic light or while the car was stationary he could drink a can?
  • Options
    DirtySexyMonkeyDirtySexyMonkey Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffystev wrote: »
    You can't drink on public transport buses or hired caoches.

I don't know why as you can drink on trains and planes.

Suspect it has to do with distraction of the driver.

A car is not public transport and the police can't do anything unless they are breaking the law.

Yes you can.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    batmobile2 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Not quite sure if it is legal now, i know police are more likely to test you if there are empty cans of beer in the car, plus, how many people would say " It's not mine but the passengers".

Imagine all the CHAV boy/girl Racers who would try it on !!!

I think the Law now states it is Illegal for you to have an opened alcoholic beverage in the vehicle, but if it is unopened with the seal in-place your fine !!!!