stevie wonder homophobe

2»

Comments

• Options
    Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    on many black discussion forums there seems to be a hatred of gay people alot going on about how it's wrong in the bible.
    I hate to bring race into it's but that seems to be how it is.

That's Christianity for you, nothing to do with colour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    on many black discussion forums there seems to be a hatred of gay people alot going on about how it's wrong in the bible.
    I hate to bring race into it's but that seems to be how it is.

You didn't hate to bring race in it since that's exactly what you did. Black people aren't the f**king Borg.
    What Stevie said was not in any stretch of the way homophobic and I hate the way some of these activists can really bully people into making apologies where none are needed.
    I think that quite a few people know who they are and what they are from the time they are children and some people can mistake intense feelings as something more. I get that.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I dont see anything wrong with what Stevie said :confused: He was just expressing his opinion - he wasn't talking about all gay people, just some of them. To call what he said homophobic is OTT and stupid, he wasnt offensive at all. I'm straight and even I know a strong bond can be mistaken for something else.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant see anything homophobic about what he said. If we're not careful we'll end up with a world where anyone decent is frightened to open their mouths and talk about these subjects, eg sexuality, race etc. And the most important thing about being able to break down barriers is to be able to talk about it.
  • Options
    Angelica123Angelica123 Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't understand how anyone could take such offence at his comments. Sure, perhaps, he could have expressed himself a bit more eloquently.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rich wrote: »
    All he's said is "yeah, you think you're gay but you might not be", as if people don't know their own minds, which I suppose is more condescending than anything. In the direct quote words like can and some are always great disclaimers. He hasn't expressed any opinions on homosexuality, just suggested that sexually, some people go through phases and it's true.

It's sad that he felt the need to clarify he's not saying all gay people are confused - can that not go without saying?

I agree with everything except the idea that you don't know your own mind sexually to be condensending - some people I think do need a bit of time to work out what way they're orientated it's not a slight on them it doesn't mean they're stupid or emotionally illiterate - it just means that love and sexuality for some is complicated - I mean Freddie Mercury and Kenny Everett were both in serious relationships with women whom they remained close friends with for the rest of their lives, before they realised they were gay - Freddie left his lady friend his house in his will telling her that if things had been different she'd had been his wife - he obviously loved her very much even though he batted for the other team.

I think it's called orientation for a reason i.e. that there is a range of different directions that your sexual interest can be in - sometimes as well some people are primarily of one orientation but find someone of the gender they don't usually fancy attractive - some people go along fancing one gender for a significant proportion of their lives and then against all expectation including their own they fall for someone of the other gender. Some people know which way their interest lies from an early age, some it takes them some time to work it out and a few experiments. Some people exclusively fancy one gender so are sort of interested in both and some fancy primarily one gender but occasionally someone from the other attracts them. Some people delude themselves for years that they are of one orientation and they discover they actually lean the other way (the funniest scene I found in 'Friends' was Pheobe's supposedly 'gay' ex discovering he was actually straight because it echoed the sentiments of so many who make the opposite discovery 'everyone in my profession is gay so I thought I was, I slept with a few women but I thought that was just experimentation'.

I think the delusion that everyone is one thing or the other is something that people who are exclusively orientated one way or the other tend to cling to because they don't like the idea of people trying to convert them or using it as an excuse that everyone can be converted.

Love and sex are a many splendoured thing and it is unique to every person and we should acknowledge this.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this not a big fuss about nothing? He didn't say anything remotely homophobic. He said that some people are confused about their sexuality, and that is true.
  • Options
    mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    Is this not a big fuss about nothing? He didn't say anything remotely homophobic. He said that some people are confused about their sexuality, and that is true.

I think it can be read that if you have that opinion you`re implying `they`ll grow out of it and become `normal``.
    Anybody who says that,that`s what they`re implying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    This is not a homophobic statement. This is a very good man being honest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is not a homophobic statement. This is a very good man being honest

According to wiki,he`s had several kids by several women,married or otherwise. I don`t buy this saintly Stevie routine. People can argue whether the statement is homophobic or not,but surely you can see how people can read it that way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    as a gay man it is not myself i worry about but it is how young people will take his statement the term confused implies you
    are straight but only think you are gay. i dont deny his talent
    but you have to think of young people and they might perceive
    his remarks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=nheaney;60887879]as a gay man it is not myself i worry about but it is how young people will take his statement the term confused implies you
    are straight but only think you are gay. i dont deny his talent
    but you have to think of young people and they might perceive
    his remarks
    [/QUOTE]

Exactly. Since he has used his talents for the Civil Rights movement in America,preaching equality for all races,it`s right he should be called out on what in America is a traditional `equality for people of colour and women,but not for gays,sorry.` attitude.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Rotationbl wrote: »
    Every straight person who talks about gay people/a gay person in less than sycophantic terms is a homophobe nowadays. The same is true for race issues. I'm gay too and it really annoys me.

Agreed. I'm gay man who thinks the same as you. I hate the way homophobe is thrown around, it makes a joke of the serious issues involving real hatred towards gay people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm gay man who thinks the same as you. I hate the way homophobe is thrown around, it makes a joke of the serious issues involving real hatred towards gay people.

Okay agreed,`homophobe` is a strong word,too strong for the SW comment,but he should be called out on it. An in the public eye campaigner for rights has to learn how to put himself across. It is a more American thing to call African-Americans in the public eye out on terms they use. I think over here in the UK,I can`t think someone like Ken Livingstone would be that loose with words. BIB,in the USA,there`ve been some high profile murders of gay men,maybe that`s why there`s been a reaction.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mevilhoney wrote: »
    I think it can be read that if you have that opinion you`re implying `they`ll grow out of it and become `normal``.
    Anybody who says that,that`s what they`re implying.

Ah, right. Yes I guess it could be taken that way. I still suspect it was a valid point, badly made, but I do take your point and see how what he said could have been interpreted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Since he has used his talents for the Civil Rights movement in America,preaching equality for all races,it`s right he should be called out on what in America is a traditional `equality for people of colour and women,but not for gays,sorry.` attitude.

Unfortunately this attitude is a fundamental in Christian & Islamic regions in the US
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    People can argue whether the statement is homophobic or not,but surely you can see how people can read it that way.

Erm no. I dont see anything about what he said as homophobic.