The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    The ratings for EastEnders continue to rate lower than last year, I expected an upturn this week, however a core part of the audience seems to have switched off and are not returning in the run up to Christmas as Coronation Street pulls further ahead. It is similar to a pattern Brookside took when the audience drifted.
    I do wonder if keeping it running during the Olympics backfired, giving regular viewers the reason not to tune in for a couple of weeks and then allowing them to break the habit.

Of course too along with questions about the standard of the show (though frankly they've been around for at least a decade) moving the BBC3 repeats and the omnibus proves that messing around with other screenings of a soap doesn't mean viewers will switch to the main screening.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Means one of two things...

a) they think it is going to be like Last of the Summer Wine
    b) it is shit

;)

Doesn't A = B
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings for EastEnders continue to rate lower than last year, I expected an upturn this week, however a core part of the audience seems to have switched off and are not returning in the run up to Christmas as Coronation Street pulls further ahead. It is similar to a pattern Brookside took when the audience drifted.
    I hope EastEnders makes better ratings tomorrow night for the reveal of Kat's Secret Lover. I think it might edge 8million which will still be poor but hopefully by Christmas Eve it will start seeing better ratings.

I think all it needs is a story to get people talking after Christmas in the new year and it could start getting viewers back.
    Who would have thought heading towards Christmas Day that EastEnders could be the weak link in BBC1's schedule?
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope EastEnders makes better ratings tomorrow night for the reveal of Kat's Secret Lover. I think it might edge 8million which will still be poor but hopefully by Christmas Eve it will start seeing better ratings.

I think all it needs is a story to get people talking after Christmas in the new year and it could start getting viewers back.

I don't watch Eastenders anymore but like many others, I am aware that Kat has a secret lover and that they are going to reveal who it is. I thought that they might do this on Christmas day, so am surprised to hear that it is happening tomorrow night.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Kate Harwood will have a closer look at it if she is responsible for serial drama, they should try reducing the number of episodes from some of the serial dramas and try a new one for a year with the resources and see how the audience takes to it, there's room for a different twice weekly drama, as Last Tango's audience figures have proved.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't A = B

In it's heyday Last Of The Summer Wine was a really good show, with a really good cast. Genuinely. It wouldn't have run for 31 series over 37 years if it had always been rubbish, now would it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    I don't watch Eastenders anymore but like many others, I am aware that Kat has a secret lover and that they are going to reveal who it is. I thought that they might do this on Christmas day, so am surprised to hear that it is happening tomorrow night.
    I thought it'd make more sense to reveal that one on Christmas Day. But I avoid soaps as they're just on too often.
    Perhaps Kate Harwood will have a closer look at it if she is responsible for serial drama, they should try reducing the number of episodes from some of the serial dramas and try a new one for a year with the resources and see how the audience takes to it, there's room for a twice weekly drama.
    I think that there was a period when Harwood was in charge of EastEnders and it wasn't rating well then. The BBC won't reduce the number of episodes. They do less than Corrie/Emmerdale so that's not the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't A = B
    JCR wrote: »
    In it's heyday Last Of The Summer Wine was a really good show, with a really good cast. Genuinely. It wouldn't have run for 31 series over 37 years if it had always been rubbish, now would it?

I will also stick up for early Last Of The Summer Wine. The Compo, Clegg & Foggy era was the highest rated and most popular period of the show. Genuinely funny and kids loved it.
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I thought it'd make more sense to reveal that one on Christmas Day. But I avoid soaps as they're just on too often.

I think that there was a period when Harwood was in charge of EastEnders and it wasn't rating well then. The BBC won't reduce the number of episodes. They do less than Corrie/Emmerdale so that's not the problem.

She was in charge in 2005 and 2006 yes, and helped improve the spine of the show. I think reducing the overload of episodes would correct the problems quite quickly and its ratings, tighter stories, more rehersal time, less character padding, you would get a better drama and certainly Holby and Casualty don't need to run the whole year. But I think that money would be better used to fund a new project that does not revolve around a hospital or police station.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Eastenders will be getting no boost until Christmas Day, any potential increase will be swallowed up by Christmas shopping or parties. The same happens every year.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First adverts for CBB a few hours ago. I think they have left it late. If they went all out to advertise it would easily surpass 3m, but I reckon around 2.5m is likely for the launch, just like the the last regular and celeb series.
  • Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was in charge in 2005 and 2006 yes, and helped improve the spine of the show. I think reducing the overload of episodes would correct the problems quite quickly and its ratings, tighter stories, more rehersal time, less character padding, you would get a better drama and certainly Holby and Casualty don't need to run the whole year. But I think that money would be better used to fund a new project that does not revolve around a hospital or police station.

With that logic there is no requirement for EE to run all year then, HC is pretty steady ratings wise and although Casualty is suffering a bit it is due to the BSI who keep shunting its slot around. I agree with your other comments though.

The BBC will never launch another bi-weekly drama therefore any money saved would not be reinvested in a continuing drama, so if episodes are cut back on HC/C then it is fair that EE suffers a reduction as well. And i have heard time and time again that it is not cost effective to reduce a continuing dramas episodes.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Secret Santa in TV land:

"Here you are, BBC1, here's your Christmas present from us"

BBC1 excitedly opens the gift then gives an excited gasp.

"The Spice Girls' Story: Viva Forever. Why, thank you, ITV1, it's just what we wanted. A flopzone Tuesday programme on primetime Christmas Eve. Unbelievably generous."

"Well, our friends the Advertisers tend to go away for the festive season after over-exciting themselves with I'm A Celebrity, Downton and The X Factor in the autumn, so we,re not really into Christmas. We'll make a bit of an effort to join in by sticking Downton on on Christmas Day, but mainly we think Christmas is for others. So we thought we'd put a 90 minute documentary on on Christmas Eve that's going to appeal to absolutely no-one. No-one over 55 will want to watch it apart from the Spice Girls' mums and even all those who were wildly into Girl Power 16 years ago won't be particularly interestes. They'll have much better things to do on Christmas Eve - like watching Eastenders and Outnumbered. Merry Christmas, BBC1."

The BBC have decided not to screen a trailer for Outnumbered this year. They've decided it would be more effective to show the trailer for The Spice Girls Story instead.

:rolleyes:
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I will also stick up for early Last Of The Summer Wine. The Compo, Clegg & Foggy era was the highest rated and most popular period of the show. Genuinely funny and kids loved it.

Compo, Clegg and Blamire, the originals you may say, were also great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Compo, Clegg and Blamire, the originals you may say, were also great.

For me the show really got good when Foggy came onboard. Last Of The Summer Wine was one of the best sitcoms on TV at its peak.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last Tango: 6.29m (26.6%)
    The Town: 1.56m (6.6%)

:eek: :eek:
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm, so changing evenings didn't put people off from watching LTIH...interesting.

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    hmmm, so changing evenings didn't put people off from watching LTIH...interesting.

K

Congratulations to Last Tango on having an audience intelligent enough to read a newspaper or listen to what the announcer told them at the end of episode 5.
    Forum Member
    How did Snow Babies rate? Tango had a good night
  • farmermikefarmermike Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Congratulations to Last Tango on having an audience intelligent enough to read a newspaper or listen to what the announcer told them at the end of episode 5.

I hope it wasn't the Daily Mail!
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Secret Santa in TV land:

"Here you are, BBC1, here's your Christmas present from us"

BBC1 excitedly opens the gift then gives an excited gasp.

"The Spice Girls' Story: Viva Forever. Why, thank you, ITV1, it's just what we wanted. A flopzone Tuesday programme on primetime Christmas Eve. Unbelievably generous."

"Well, our friends the Advertisers tend to go away for the festive season after over-exciting themselves witIh I'm A Celebrity, Downton and The X Factor in the autumn, so we,re not really into Christmas. We'll make a bit of an effort to join in by sticking Downton on on Christmas Day, but mainly we think Christmas is for others. So we thought we'd put a 90 minute documentary on on Christmas Eve that's going to appeal to absolutely no-one. No-one over 55 will want to watch it apart from the Spice Girls' mums and even all those who were wildly into Girl Power 16 years ago won't be particularly interestes. They'll have much better things to do on Christmas Eve - like watching Eastenders and Outnumbered. Merry Christmas, BBC1."

The BBC have decided not to screen a trailer for Outnumbered this year. They've decided it would be more effective to show the trailer for The Spice Girls Story instead.

:rolleyes:

Don't be daft. With an hour long Corrie as lead in, the Spices will do just fine.

ITV has a stronger line up than last year on Christmas Eve, and BBC1 will not match last years trouncing of ITV.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Last Tango: 6.29m (26.6%)
    The Town: 1.56m (6.6%)

:eek: :eek:

Wowsers!

More like a small hamlet in ratings terms than a town. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be daft. With an hour long Corrie as lead in, the Spices will do just fine.

ITV has a stronger line up than last year on Christmas Eve, and BBC1 will not match last years trouncing of ITV.

Yeah, cos the X Factor really helped Katherine Jenkins's show to storm the ratings, didn't it? :rolleyes: And Coronation Street viewers are renowned for their inability to operate a remote control:rolleyes: And for their undying love for the Spice Girls.:rolleyes:

I predict Viva Forever to rate under 3m in the overnights (excl +1).
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope Viva Forever flops, hate the Spice Girls.

Some good matches for ITV in the Champions League next round. Yet a very good chance all Brit teams could be knocked out.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So,

BBC1's Christmas Eve lineup of

A Christmas Carol
    Merlin
    EastEnders
    Outnumbered
    Mrs Browns Boys
    The Vicar of Dibley

is weaker than:

Emmerdale
    Corrie
    Viva Forever
    News
    Christmas Carols?

I think there will be a lot of people tuning into A Christmas Carol and won't bother switch over to Emmerdale. Then because of that, they will stick with BBC1 and watch Merlin or at the very least watch The Snowman and the Snowdog on C4 which they've recorded so can start watching it once ACC finishes intime for EastEnders to start!
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Show (1hr) - 4.25m
    Snow Babies - 4.53m
    Last Tango - 6.29m

The Chase - 3.52m [inc+1]
    Emmerdale - 6.72m (31.9%) +1 322k (1.5%)
    Corrie - 8.1m (35.9%) +1 454k (2.0%)
    The Town - 1.56m (6.6%)

source - The Town DMN, DS soaps and Screenwatch

That is an awful rating for The Town. One of ITV's lowest ever drama ratings I'd have thought. Last Tango did brilliantly not to lose any audience despite the change of day.
This discussion has been closed.