"Visitor" Parking

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Looks like I'm going to have to grin and bear it then :-(

Not a nice view, having a red Hyundai parked under your window most of the time!

Thanks for all of your advice. (Both constructive and unconstructive...)
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Maybe if the as yet unmentioned third houseowner sides with the OP, then both of you can put pressure on the 2 car houseowner or see if the developer would step in to resolve the situation. Or maybe if there are any similar estates built by the same developer, see what happened there.

I know someone living in a terrace whose next door neighbour has 5 cars and a van, but there's nothing my aquaintance can do because the parking is on the street.

Where I live we all have off street parking and some of the bungalows have garages, but that doesn't stop some of the owners parking on the pavement and one of my next door neighbours has loads of visitors where they use my lowered driveway as a launch point to drive down the pavement along the front of my bungalow.

Irresponsible car owners cause a lot of problems but short of murdering them, there's nothing to be done.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ooops wrote: »
    Not a nice view, having a red Hyundai parked under your window most of the time!

thing is, what if that space happened to be a resident allocated space... you would have a car there anyway.

be thankful they don't park a van there
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm on my own here, but I really don't see much wrong with what the OP's neighbours are doing. They have two cars, so park one in an empty 'visitor' bay. What's the big deal? The OP hasn't actually stated that it has caused a real problem (i.e. his/her visitors can't park anywhere) other than having to look at a car parked in the space outside their house (which seems incredibly petty to me).
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    thing is, what if that space happened to be a resident allocated space... you would have a car there anyway.

be thankful they don't park a van there

Agreed.
    Which is why I chose the plot I did with a visitor space outside and not a resident's bay.
    Forum Member
    For all the OP knows, the neighbour may of asked the developer or sales team about them having two cars and the reply was 'just use the visitor space'.....

What other parking is there in the street? If visitors dont get a 'vistor' space, what are their options?

If the only option to them is majorly inconvenient then maybe its worth getting upset over. However if they just park on the road if the visitor bays are full then its of no real consequence is it?

Maybe.
    But that again is incongruent to the deeds and the advice that both me and my neighbour were given.

There is little other parking available given that we live in a cul de sac with open spaces. Ie not spare kerb space to park.
    My visitors have to park on the entrance road to my street.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed.
    Which is why I chose the plot I did with a visitor space outside and not a resident's bay.

then again, there could be visitors every day at every hour, so that is no guarantee anyway.

some might say that having a visitors space might be more busy/noisy than having a residents space there.
    Forum Member
    Migster wrote: »
    Maybe I'm on my own here, but I really don't see much wrong with what the OP's neighbours are doing. They have two cars, so park one in an empty 'visitor' bay. What's the big deal? The OP hasn't actually stated that it has caused a real problem (i.e. his/her visitors can't park anywhere) other than having to look at a car parked in the space outside their house (which seems incredibly petty to me).

With hindsight, I would have stated this explicitly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is little other parking available given that we live in a cul de sac with open spaces. Ie not spare kerb space to park.
    My visitors have to park on the entrance road to my street.

that would have to happen anyway if the visitors spaces were used by valid visitors though.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »

I know someone living in a terrace whose next door neighbour has 5 cars and a van, but there's nothing my aquaintance can do because the parking is on the street.

This happened to me with my first house! I lived in a terraced house, on street parking only. My neighbour two doors down had three cars, two pick up trucks and a caravan and used all the parking on the road! Us other neighbours had to park in other roads which inconvenienced those who lived there! It was a nightmare but there was nothing that could be done! At the time, keeping a caravan on the road was legal and all the other vehicles were legal! He was hated and knew it and used to waltz about like he owned the street!
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    This happened to me with my first house! I lived in a terraced house, on street parking only. My neighbour two doors down had three cars, two pick up trucks and a caravan and used all the parking on the road! Us other neighbours had to park in other roads which inconvenienced those who lived there! It was a nightmare but there was nothing that could be done! At the time, keeping a caravan on the road was legal and all the other vehicles were legal! He was hated and knew it and used to waltz about like he owned the street!

and no tyres mysteriously deflated in the night

that was the prefered solution many years ago when i lived in a street with limited on street parking

not by me I add, because I've never owned a car and lived down a terrace so no street outside the window
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be really, really helpful if the OP set out in detail what they mean by:
    Deeds do state visitor bay.

Without knowing the legal status of the allocated and visitors bays no-one can make any meaningful comments.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    It would be really, really helpful if the OP set out in detail what they mean by:

Without knowing the legal status of the allocated and visitors bays no-one can make any meaningful comments.

Doubt its deeds, more likely a legal covenant! I've never heard of deeds that state you have a parking place other than those for apartments/flats!

Regardless of the legal status of the parking bays, it will be down to the home owner to either take legal action at their own expense or, as estate is unadopted, seek redress through the developer which will not go beyond an initial letter (if that) providing the complainant or developer can positively identify whether the vehicle is registered to the address in question because I doubt they'll have access to DVLA records! All of which is far to much unprofitable work for the developer!
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed. In my experience the deeds merely say that such spaces are part of the common property of the estate - effectively they're just first come, first served, with no restrictions on who can park or for how long.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get a nail taxed/insured etc and park it in there and job done
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope you're not on your own, I think this too.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope you're not on your own, I think this too.

And myself too.

If the OP didn't want anything outside the window then they shouldn't have bought a house in the first place that has a parking bay right at it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Indeed. In my experience the deeds merely say that such spaces are part of the common property of the estate - effectively they're just first come, first served, with no restrictions on who can park or for how long.

I can see that applying if you buy a flat in a block, but what is "common property" in the context of a house?
  • mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member

I agree, the only thing I think the neighbours are doing "wrong" is that they sometimes use the visitors spot before their own personal spot even if it´s empty (I guess to guarantee they can park both cars there) and in those instances they should really be using their personal space first and leaving the visitors´ spaces empty and have to take the risk that there will be visitors using the spaces when their second car returns and needs to park somewhere.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I live in an end terraced house. There is no on street parking therefore everyone parks at the ends of the terrace.

Unfortunately, my gate opens onto the side and many times in the past I have been unable to access the gate due to some idiot parking right up against it. I once came out of the gate and there was this bloody great big van parked not two inches away from the gate.

I then discovered I actually owned the land about a metre from the house/garden wall. Therefore I planted flower borders which not only look pretty it stops the idiots from parking too close to my gate.

Even then people would still park there..no longer though. Everybody now kindly leaves a space in front of my gate for my car only. How very nice of them!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My neighbours seem to think vistor parking means they can block my drive. :mad: Even if I'm not going out it irritates me so much. I spent many years in S London paying for the privelege of parking ( extra for visitors!) in the road IF there was a space and I thought moving somewhere semi-rural, with my own drive would be hassle free. Wrong!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see that applying if you buy a flat in a block, but what is "common property" in the context of a house?

Much the same concept in most modern estates - all the roads, shared parking areas, landscaped bits etc are the common property of all the houses in the estate (except to the extent that they get adopted by the local authority).
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Much the same concept in most modern estates - all the roads, shared parking areas, landscaped bits etc are the common property of all the houses in the estate (except to the extent that they get adopted by the local authority).

It's all utter nonsense to make residents feel miserable.

Bring back 2 car drives and proper pavements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting, I've never heard of that before. Presumably the fact is reflected in the deeds.

Though wouldn't it mean that the people complained of, being in one of those houses, have the 'visitors' parking bays as part of their common property and can park in them if they want?

And presumably every house's allocated parking will be in that house's own deeds only?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though wouldn't it mean that the people complained of, being in one of those houses, have the 'visitors' parking bays as part of their common property and can park in them if they want?

Yes, the question is whether there is actually any restriction to "visitors". I suspect not and that they're merely "unallocated".
    And presumably every house's allocated parking will be in that house's own deeds only?

Yes.