Should I watch American Horror Story or The Walking Dead?

dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey:) I'm looking into getting into a new TV series and I was thinking about one of these, both have had brilliant reviews so was just wondering which is better and worth the watch?

Consistency, good characters, good plot, good ending and horror is what I'm looking for, so which of these two shows should I go for?

I was also thinking of Breaking Bad or The Vampire Diaries but I'm not sure I would like them.

Comments

• PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for The Walking Dead first.

Only seen the first ep of Coven so far so too early to pass judgement but personally I thought season two of AHS was poor compared to the first one.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    AHS. The Walking Dead this season ain't that great imo.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Go for The Walking Dead first.

Only seen the first ep of Coven so far so too early to pass judgement but personally I thought season two of AHS was poor compared to the first one.

Agree, The Walking Dead is one of the top five shows on TV at the moment. I enjoyed S1 of American Horror Story but gave up on S2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not both? I actually enjoyed Asylum, and Coven is getting really good now.

The Walking Dead is utterly brilliant though!
  • dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might watch both but I want to know which one's better and worth watching first:)

Also, which is scarier?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The great thing about Horror story is you choose any season you like as neither have no connection and contain new characters, but just happen to be portrayed by the same actors used in previous seasons

The walking dead Season 1 is easier as it is only six episodes. I got through season 1 in like 4/5 hours.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch both of them as they're both excellent.

I'd rate The Walking Dead higher if I was giving out marks, but they're both worth watching.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Horror Story is the more original and less conventional of the two and having a regular cast playing different characters in each season is a great idea. I do enjoy The Walking Dead but it can be a bit slow-moving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    The Walking Dead. I thought American Horror Story was the biggest pile of piss I'd ever seen.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Walking Dead is a bit dull, but does have the occasional brilliant moment or episode that indicate it has bags of potential if they ever work out how to get it right. Based on Season Four thus far, they seem to be working it out.

American Horror Story is batshit mental and just throws in all manner of ridiculous plot points. It's camp and OTT and by no means a good show, but it is extremely entertaining.

Neither are "scary", as such.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan_ wrote: »
    I might watch both but I want to know which one's better and worth watching first:)

Also, which is scarier?

The walking dead isn't scary. Can't comment on AHS haven't seen it.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    The walking dead isn't scary. Can't comment on AHS haven't seen it.

Neither are scary.

Anyone finding either of these shows scary would probably be terrified at an episode of Scooby Doo.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no need to choose, they're both gr8, and both quite different, thankfully!

I would also add Hemlock Grove, though it appears to have a lot of h8ters on here!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bates Motel is another, if you want another horror-ish show
    It isn't scary, but if you wanna know about Normal Bates about 20/30 years before he murdered Marion Crane, then check it out.

Great acting as well
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both, but if you can only choose one then choose Walking Dead.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    whats the second season of AHS about??
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    whats the second season of AHS about??

The main setting is a 1960's Lunatic Asylum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    They are both great, both the previous seasons of AHS were freaky, unsettling and very entertaining. Not sure about season 3 yet, as I have only seen the first episode, but as others say, they are not connected as each season has a different storyline and characters (though using a lot of the same actors).

The Walking Dead is also brilliant, but recently I have begun to find it depressing. Just want the characters to get a break from the hellish world they are living in. But then, I suppose dozens of zombies are pretty essential to the whole identity of the show!
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan_ wrote: »
    Consistency, good characters, good plot, good ending and horror is what I'm looking for, so which of these two shows should I go for?
    American Horror Story is better for those criteria. It's completely bonkers, though (in the same manner as True Blood), and I don't think either season so far has had a good ending. It's more about the journey than the destination.

I like The Walking Dead too, but it rarely seems to achieve its potential. Plots often rely on the characters doing stupid things and/or not talking to each other. The horror often relies on gore.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vampire Diaries (although I watch it through habit) is just silly teenage fluff with a selfish. annoying brat as the lead, does have Elijah and Damon in it though who are good characters.

Never watched Breaking Bad.

Walking Dead and AHS, along with GOT are my favourite shows.

I would go for AHS Asylum the 2nd season 1st for a quick horror 'hit' then start watching WD till you are up to date then go back to the other 2 AHS (3 will be finished by then as well). :)
  • HavingALaughHavingALaugh Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Only seen TWD and BB and they're both brilliant and worth watching,
    Seen VD but not all series, what I've seen I love though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure how anyone can say The Walking Dead is dull:confused:
    But I would say watch both, TWD first then AHS.

and you should deffo watch Breaking Bad, it's just unbelievably great TV!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I love AHS. It's a fun show. I think S1 is the worst, S2 improves and S3 seems to be very good also. Most of the actors are great too.

The Walking Dead is okay, but it depresses me. Find the characters mostly very boring.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Watch both of them as they're both excellent.

I'd rate The Walking Dead higher if I was giving out marks, but they're both worth watching.

I agree why choose 1 when both is easy

Both quality but walking dead is an outstanding programme.
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've kinda gone off AHS, it has a solid cast but it feels like it's running on fumes now after a frankly 'bleh' 2nd series, whilst TWD in it's 4th season seems like a much more solid show, though it does get a bit grim at times.