Calling a pharmacist!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
Forum Member
I'm in need of some advice, I'm currently taking cocodamol for tooth ache, one tablet as a dose of the over the counter strength, two tablets make me very nauseous so was wondering whether it was safe to take ibuprofen in addition? I know paracetamol is out of the question. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is. (Provided you are ok to take ibuprofen usually)
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the other poster has mentioned, there aren't any contraindications.

Just something of note though.. I find Ibuprofen quite irritating to the stomach. If you're feeling nauseous it may be enough to make you chunder!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Yes, taking one nurofen tablet and one paracetamol-based tablet is OK and you can even have a strong coffee with that or 2x 50mg Pro Plus caffeine tablets since caffeine is a pain relief adjuvant that enhances the pain relieving effect of the other medications. I'd leave 4hrs minimum between tablet doses. The only other thing worth mentioning is clove oil which is a good tooth anaesthetic which can be bought in chemists and supermarkets.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Co codomol over the counter is 500 paracetemol and 8 codeine . If ypu take only onr of those due to being nauseated from the codeine you could take a paracetemol 500 tablet in addition
    Its the codiene that can be nauseating so one co co codomol and one plain paracetemol might give you better pain relief
    Taking only one co codomol is only giving you 500 mgs of Paracetemol and not really enougj forvan adult dose . The adult dose is 1000 mgs four hourly.
    And yes Its fine to take Nurofen with it
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ibuprofen is every 6-8 hours not every 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Thankyou very much for all your advice! Hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep, have been using clove oil over the weekend televisionuser, worked really well, besides the awful taste! Thanks again for your help xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ibuprofen is every 6-8 hours not every 4.

Can be taken 4 hourly , not exceding 6 tablets of 200 mgs in 24 hours
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou very much for all your advice! Hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep, have been using clove oil over the weekend televisionuser, worked really well, besides the awful taste! Thanks again for your help xx

An old remedy is a drop of whiskey on the offending tooth . It numbs and sterilises . Hope ypu feel better soon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really worth taking 8mg of codeine. You will just get the side effects with no actual therapeutic benefit.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member

Clove oil works well but it does have such a horrible taste that I now include it in my home made deer browsing repellent sprays along with other ingredients.
  • stringmanstringman Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »

you can actually take up to 2.4g a day (under doctors advice)
  • stringmanstringman Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »

you can actually take up to 2.4g a day (under doctors advice)