Options

Week 5: Five thoughts

hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
Forum Member
Thought we ought to do this, as I have some things to say and I'm not sure where to put them!

1: Liking having normal number r of candidates now - much easier to keep track of everyone.

2: I didn't want any of the final 3 to go! I liked them all and thought they all had potential.

3: I love these novel tasks - and this one was very entertaining and intriguing to watch.

4: My fears of the show getting boring after Sarah and Steven getting fired. This episode was really good, and next week looks very entertaining too. New characters are coming through now!

5: Mark is going up in my estimations. He's actually becoming one of my favourites. He's likeable, a good judge of character, and now he's shown some talent. James on the other hand gets more annoying each episode!

How about everyone else??

Comments

• Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadly agree. although for me Mark has to show he can lead as well as back-seat drive. He *was* quietly impressive on this task, though.

This task was brilliant when used previously, of course. London sightseeing tours: Baggs offering Chris Bates a fight in Trafalgar Square, Stella singing Knees Up Mother Brown, Jamie saying the Thames was the second largest river in London ...

Also, was anyone surprised that Daniel managed to abseil down without anyone cutting his bungee rope?
  • Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Thought we ought to do this, as I have some things to say and I'm not sure where to put them!

1: Liking having normal number r of candidates now - much easier to keep track of everyone.

2: I didn't want any of the final 3 to go! I liked them all and thought they all had potential.

3: I love these novel tasks - and this one was very entertaining and intriguing to watch.

4: My fears of the show getting boring after Sarah and Steven getting fired. This episode was really good, and next week looks very entertaining too. New characters are coming through now!

5: Mark is going up in my estimations. He's actually becoming one of my favourites. He's likeable, a good judge of character, and now he's shown some talent. James on the other hand gets more annoying each episode!

Really Mark is getting more annoying for me, I cant stand him at all, all he does is moan and brag how amazing he is with a smug attitude. Dont like him one bit. I hope him and Daniel are fired together :)
  • Options
    James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    My five thoughts:

1. Sanjay should have been fired for not bringing James back in/ not managing James well enough and realising how his overbearing personality was counterproductive to various aspects of the task.

2. Why didn't anything get made of Jemma negotiating that deal on the Canterbury Tales, that was a positive thing she contributed, showing that an alternative approach is better than a bull in a China shop approach.

3. I really like Mark and he is prepared to hold his own against the gobshites such as Daniel and James (which he did on the first task) unlike Sanjay.

4. Would like to see Pamela or Bianca as project manager as I don't know how whether the potential they show so far is benefitting from not being in the spotlight.

5. Agree with Sarah Millican that James is just a dick.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I agree with Tom in saying that it's such a relief that we're back to the normal number of candidates. That twist never really took off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sanjay dodged a bullet cos for me they did not lose the task due to Jemma but AS decided she was not for him, if James had been brought in he would have gone.

Bankers, ha ha, clueless.
  • Options
    annie24601annie24601 Posts: 3,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with 1, 3, 4 and part of 5

My 5 thoughts:

1 Mark came across as very competent in this task, but there is something I don't like about him. He was a bit too hard on Daniel, though Daniel was a prat.

2 Sanjay should have been fired as he has been invisible on other tasks and was a bad PM on this one

3 James is a complete dick and part of me wants him to be fired ASAP, but a bigger part of me wants him to get to the interview stage so Claude can destroy him

4 I wish Jemma stayed and got a chance to be PM, I liked her and felt she had more to offer than Sanjay

5 Ruth Badger should be on the YF panel every week :D
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PAL65 wrote: »
    I think Sanjay dodged a bullet cos for me they did not lose the task due to Jemma but AS decided she was not for him, if James had been brought in he would have gone.

Bankers, ha ha, clueless.

To be fair on Sanjay, absolutely no one else said £60 was too low. I think Jemma had to go based on previous performances. I also think, whilst James is extremely annoying and cringeworthy, he contributed more through selling merchandise rather than Jemma's poor tour guide talk.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    1. Mark is starting to really annoy me and he was my initial pick for winner. Reminds me a bit of Chris Bates. Would be initeresting to see him as PM, as he seems to have a chip on his shoulders regarding women (LOL being a PM to Lauren, Pamela en Katie :D)

2. Sanjay should have indeed been fired for not bringing James back into the boardroom, but also for his pricing strategy and picking the wrong team members to go on the bus with him (he even directed Roisin last week in her presenter role!).

3. Team Tenacity seems to be quite toxic at the moment (reminds me a bit of series 4).

4. James is really not getting along with women for someone who thinks he is smooth.

5. Think that the teaser for next week is a smart bit of misdirection.
  • Options
    itsJoeitsJoe Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting task. Really think James should have got fired, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to win anyway. Thought Lauren was brilliant with her guide, especially under the amount of time and pressure she had.
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    What do you mean with your 5th, Sherlock?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Jemma was lush, and a lot of her teammates made my skin crawl. I was willing her to do well... but once she opened her mouth, you could see it coming a mile away. Glimmer of hope at the start when she quite rightly stood up to James, just wish she'd given a better account of herself.

2. Amazed how quickly I forgot that Steven and Sarah ever existed! Steven's face in the You're Fired opening sequence was like ancient history. Thought it'd be dull without them. Wasn't! Still, what could've been...

3. If Karren does nothing else this series, this episode alone justifies her salary. So many faces, fully conveyed the horror of being trapped in a tin wth James Bloody Hill.

4. Although he was an abysmal PM, Sanjay has saved a little face with me this week. He initially struck me as a preening gobshite, and I could yet be right, but actually he speaks relatively well and, despite his poor decisions, clearly did know what he was talking about in the boardroom - more business lingo than I've seen on this show in ages. I may have judged him too soon. He did seem WAY more evasive than Daniel, though, on which note...

5. For all the cringe comedy of this task, the most uncomfortable bit was Mark laying into his project manager at the end. Until this week, I'd thought Mark seemed rather level-headed and dismissed Daniel as a bit of a pillock, but Daniel's strategy won them the task and Mark came across as churlish, spiteful - a very small man.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

I'm stealing 1, 3 and 5 :kitty:

My other 2 points would be:
    1. I still miss Steven and Sarah. I kept thinking about how they would mess up the task :D
    2. I really want to see Mark Project manage a task . I agree with your points and would like to see him shine even more :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I liked this episode and found the boardroom surprisingly entertaining. Sanjay is really really lucky, I thought for sure he was going alongside Jemma.

James is overall weak and annoying, and I think he is a lost cause to be honest. It's weird I thought Steven and Sarah going could be detrimental, but I think it is better.. I'm glad to see more from Sanjay. Didn't like Steven, and Sarah was too silly, I don't think I could stand her being in this particular task.

Lauren did a good tour. Want to see Pamela step up as a PM; the past two weeks, she has been critical and now I want to see if she can actually deliver.
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all Lauren was bloody brilliant on her tour, from the bits we saw had I been on the tour I would never have guessed that she didn't do that job for a living. She obviously worked her socks off to swot up on facts and it really paid off, she deserves a lot of credit for that.

It was interesting to see an almost side by side comparison in how to negotiate well and how to do it badly. Mark managed to get a 60 percent discount by being quite smooth and eloquent whereas James went in like a bull in a china shop trying to get 80 percent straightaway, had he gone in like Mark maybe the woman would have budged a little but he was far too aggressive.

I'm surprised none of Sanjay's tour group asked for a refund to be honest. They left Victoria late, didn't get a good tour of the second place they went to (forgotten the name sorry!), then arrived back at Victoria late too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    It really does feel like a new show now that most of the 'deadwood' has gone... And they really were deadwood. It's allocated more time to some of the stronger candidates, and I'm finding it hard to remember a year with so many strong candidates. There are are least 4-5 that have barely put a foot wrong.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My five thoughts:

1. Sanjay should have been fired for not bringing James back in/ not managing James well enough and realising how his overbearing personality was counterproductive to various aspects of the task.

2. Why didn't anything get made of Jemma negotiating that deal on the Canterbury Tales, that was a positive thing she contributed, showing that an alternative approach is better than a bull in a China shop approach.

3. I really like Mark and he is prepared to hold his own against the gobshites such as Daniel and James (which he did on the first task) unlike Sanjay.

4. Would like to see Pamela or Bianca as project manager as I don't know how whether the potential they show so far is benefitting from not being in the spotlight.

5. Agree with Sarah Millican that James is just a dick.
    Because she didn't actually achieve anything - at least nothing we were shown. She was floundering, getting nowhere. James stepped in (for once, although it was a bit rude, I had some sympathy with him) and we never actually saw what the final price was.
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    1. I love James

2. That coach trip looked like hell though

3. Wasn't surprised Jemma was fired

4. Thought Sanjay was going to get fired as well

5. I still love James
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thought for today...
    Ooh look, there's somebody called Sanjay. I never even knew he existed before.
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. I can't help feeling either James is going next week or getting 'the redemption arc'. There's little middle ground after that warning this week. I know in the Apprentice there are often loads of 'final warnings' but that genuinely felt like a 'final, final warning' and he's been portrayed as so bad in the last few tasks that he either will be gone soon or he'll have 'the redemption arc'.

2. Right choice for Sir Alan to fire Jemma I thought. She hadn't really shown anything yet whereas I think both Bianca and Sonjay had and deserved more to stay (wasn't it him who did well on creating products for the perfume task?).

3. Now I understand after watching You're Fired why people find Sarah Millican annoying. :D

4. Mark is really coming as dislikable to me. He really had it in for Dan (as did some others in his team too) and I ended up feeling quite sorry for Dan by the end. Mark just feels a bit of a 'game-player' and I'm not surprised Dan felt a bit hurt by the end of that episode.
    And I'm not particularly liking Katie either. Not sure why but she really annoys me.

5. Not enough 'Fat Daddy' this week. :D
  • Options
    LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 365
    Forum Member

Also, was anyone surprised that Daniel managed to abseil down without anyone cutting his bungee rope?

I was expecting them to start walking off or someone to suggest shall we go before he gets down
  • Options
    moagmoag Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought Lauren did well .
    Never ever let me alone in a room with Fellipe bored to tears listening to him drone on and on and on
    Jamesy boy what fe--ing ar-eh-le
    Daniel don't like him but felt sorry for him.
    Marks a big a dick as James
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because she didn't actually achieve anything - at least nothing we were shown. She was floundering, getting nowhere. James stepped in (for once, although it was a bit rude, I had some sympathy with him) and we never actually saw what the final price was.

Yeah if she'd managed to pull off a huge discount that might well have saved her in the end but evidently that didn't happen. I still think Sanjay was lucky not to get the chop this week though, they arrived late at the bus station which then caused the whole tour to go off schedule, got lost on their way to the second place, the first tour was a complete shambles, the singing on the bus was ridiculous and he didn't really do anything.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The tours were cringeworthy to watch apart from the Blenheim Castle part. Lauren did a brilliant job

2. Can Karren have her own show about her facial expressions? HILARIOUS.

3. James was such a diq. Go, just go.

4. Maybe it was just me but I found Mark hotter and hotter.

5. Maybe it was just me as well but Gemma looked like a scary doll :o
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Sanjay is hot
    2. Sanjay is sexy.
    3. Sanjay has an amazing ass.
    4. Sanjay has dreamy eyes I could get lost in.
    5. Thank goodness Sanjay wasn't fired :)
  • Options
    Percy SugdenPercy Sugden Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    1. Good decision to get rid of Jemma, she was pointless.
    2. Mark is good but he is starting to get a bit big headed - pride comes before a fall perhaps? He's gorgeous though!
    3. James is cringe worthy to watch but very entertaining.
    4. Best Karen moment yet looking to escape the coach.
    5. Pamela is a right moaning minnie