Panorama - Ebola

PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Gripping program, and very sad.

Great insight into what's going on and the courage of the medical staff.

Comments

• RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It was so sad. Terrible to see such resignation and suffering.

But hats off to the medical and caring teams, what wonderful people.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught the second half and found it informative and moving.
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could have been largely avoided had WHO not banned the testing and development of a vaccine on the people in africa back in the 80's on the ridiculous basis of race. The fact is that ebola evolved in africa where almost everyone is black and to say 'you cannot test a vaccine on only one race of people because it is racist' is utterly appalling. But that is what happened. 2nd fact is that it is now evident that white people who contract the virus and get treatment recover (apart from that ancient Spanish priest who died) while black people who get exactly the same treatment die. This is also not being addressed in the media - people of white european descent have a much higher chance of recovering wheras people of african descent almost all die. It is a genome thing and something that very likely comes from our interbreeding with neanderthals during human migration across europe. People with neanderthal dna have a stronger resistance to a certain number of human conditions.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the documentary and found it very informative and incredibly moving.

As others have said, the staff and volunteers who work in the centres are amazing.