Options

Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need a source to back up your statement here.

All you have do is look up trademarks.

Remember when it was "news" that LM couldn't trademark themselves because Syco owned them? The ownership was changed after that.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4802:6tt32g.2.2

^if it doesn't work just look up "little mix" under trademarks. And if you search "eternal dance media" you'll find its a company the girls own. Much like 1d do.

Granted, I don't know much about buisness. SYCO still owns the record contract for now. That's pretty obvious without a source. It's easy to assume he still owns a percentage no matter what, because it was spoiled years ago that he can collect from XF contestants when they leave. Should he want. Plus they were created under his vehicle...
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you have do is look up trademarks.

Remember when it was "news" that LM couldn't trademark themselves because Syco owned them? The ownership was changed after that.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4802:6tt32g.2.2

^if it doesn't work just look up "little mix" under trademarks. And if you search "eternal dance media" you'll find its a company the girls own. Much like 1d do.

Search isnt working and is turning up PDFs for cookbooks and nuclear reactions, lol. Point us to a PDF or something in the UK. And all the finalists had companies set up for them during the show by the same guy so I'm not surprised the girls have their assets officially thru that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to get back to you. Idk why it's not working. Maybe because I'm on mobile. Lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I'm doubting that the girls own "Little Mix" is that out here at least, anything created while a person is in the employ of an entertainment company, or even while under contract if the contract so states, becomes the intellectual or real property of said entertainment company. I dont think Syco would do it any differently. The girls may have come up with the name but it was while they were contestants on the show. They'd have to buy out Syco to own it.
  • Options
    piratapirata Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Search isnt working and is turning up PDFs for cookbooks and nuclear reactions, lol. Point us to a PDF or something in the UK. And all the finalists had companies set up for them during the show by the same guy so I'm not surprised the girls have their assets officially thru that.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/ -> Basic Word Search -> input "little mix" and it worked for me!

Got these, not sure if they'll work as direct links
    http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86040393&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
    http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85598345&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^Got it thank you! It sounds like it hasnt yet been awarded though. Legalese in spoiler.
    Current Owner(s) Information
    Owner Name: ETERNAL DANCE MEDIA LIMITED
    Owner Address:
    4 GEE'S COURT
    LONDON W1U1JD
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Legal Entity Type: LIMITED COMPANY State or Country Where Organized: UNITED KINGDOM

Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 00:30 AM
    To: bdavis@vlplawgroup.com
    Cc: trademarks@vlplawgroup.com
    Subject: Official USPTO Notice of Publication Confirmation: U.S. Trademark SN 86040393: LITTLE MIX
    TRADEMARK OFFICIAL GAZETTE PUBLICATION CONFIRMATION

U.S. Serial Number: 86040393
    Mark: LITTLE MIX
    International Class(es): 003, 014, 018, 021, 024, 030
    Owner: Eternal Dance Media Limited
    Docket/Reference Number:

The mark identified above has been published in the Trademark Official Gazette (TMOG) on Nov 11, 2014.

To Review the Mark in the TMOG:

Click on the following link or paste the URL into an internet browser: https://tmog.uspto.gov/#issueDate=2014-11-11&serialNumber=86040393

On the publication date or shortly thereafter, the applicant should carefully review the information that appears in the TMOG for accuracy. If any information is incorrect due to USPTO error, the applicant should immediately email the requested correction to TMPostPubQuery@uspto.gov. For applicant corrections or amendments after publication, please file a post publication amendment using the form available at http://teasroa.uspto.gov/ppa/. For general information about this notice, please contact the Trademark Assistance Center at 1-800-786-9199.

Significance of Publication for Opposition:

* Any party who believes it will be damaged by the registration of the mark may file a notice of opposition (or extension of time therefor) with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. If no party files an opposition or extension request within thirty (30) days after the publication date, then eleven (11) weeks after the publication date a notice of allowance (NOA) should issue. (Note: The applicant must file a complete Statement of Use or Extension Request with the required fees within six (6) months after the NOA issues to avoid abandonment of the application.)

To check the status of the application, go to http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86040393&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch or contact the Trademark Assistance Center at 1-800-786-9199. Please check the status of the application at least every three (3) months after the application filing date.

Original application for merchandise for you geeks
    http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86040393&docId=PRA20130822183322#page=1

Is this a similar situation like the Sugababes - original - where they dont own the name but Mutya won the right to use it on stationery and some other merchandise?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think so. But if I recall, that was the mistake of sugababes. They never trademarked every thing properly.

In comparisson, Simon still owns 100% eveything of 5h (sadly for them). So even if you dont like them, it makes perfect sense really. Even if they only do half of what LM does in UK, it is worth it. (Forgive bad grammar)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well LM did thank their lawyers on their first album and in their book, lol. I'm surprised if they completely own "Little Mix" though.

The search didnt work for me because I searched under Trademarks, and theirs hasnt gone thru yet. So thank you Pirata.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @LittleMix · 1 hour ago
    Nanite ❤️ xxjadexx

@LittleMix · 1 hour ago
    I know 😔 lol I have to be up at 9 too 🙈 xxjadexx

Wonder what they were talking about all night. ^_^
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @LittleMix · 1 hour ago
    Nanite ❤️ xxjadexx

@LittleMix · 1 hour ago
    I know 😔 lol I have to be up at 9 too 🙈 xxjadexx

Wonder what they were talking about all night. ^_^

Lol, you know :p. What I wouldn't give to have a look at Little Mix's Burn Book. There must be something truly special in there for Simon.

So I reckon it's time to revise my Predicta dates:

Single 1: January 19
    Single 2: March 30
    Album: April 26

I guess that will have to do.
  • Options
    shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    MrJames wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been discussed: but is anyone else annoyed that Little Mix keep being blotted out when people mention the most successful X Factor contestants on this year's series? Not least because... duh... they're the best ever.

Yep, the girls were at the studio on Friday speaking to the finalists and they weren't even featured in the vt like 1D/Louis Tomlinson was. Same with them choosing the song for Lauren....only a phone call.

I think something is going on behind the scenes....Leigh's mum frustrated tweets about syco/modest highlight this.

Or maybe I'm just cynical.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Yep, the girls were at the studio on Friday speaking to the finalists and they weren't even featured in the vt like 1D/Louis Tomlinson was. Same with them choosing the song for Lauren....only a phone call.

I think something is going on behind the scenes....Leigh's mum frustrated tweets about syco/modest highlight this.

It kind of reminds me of Alexandra Burke's treatment when she was recording her second album and we did think something was going on the behind the scenes with the label and her. The delays, her constant use of the word 'soon' - just reminds me of Little Mix's current situation.
  • Options
    avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://twitter.com/mrcelebuk/status/541898673320644608

If you have twitter, please retweet this for the girls. Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1D was just a Skype call werent they? Or so I read about. But it is very weird the girls were wheeled out for the visit with contestants complete with photos and article in the DM and yet no mention on the show. This after them gracing the audition room set piece along with other XF successes, having their music used as background thru the season, and even being taken to MIPCOM as an XF representative when Cowell could have taken...um...erm...urk.

Especially in light of Sam Bailey's contract expiring, one would think Syco would be kowtowing to LM. Otherwise the show has a real credibility issue. Yeah I know it already does.

BTW would that be the shortest Winner's contract ever? Just one year?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chem wrote: »
    I hope they do a fun video like Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars

Thinking about concepts for videos, I just want a very very fun video. The shows personality. Also a bit of improvisation not everything choreographed but also has that one cool dance move that everyone can do.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I knew the media would pick up on this

@NowMag: UH-OH! Did Little Mix's pals call X Factor USA stars Fifth Harmony 'copycats'? http://t.co/5FV79Mypsm
  • Options
    luner_45luner_45 Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I think so. But if I recall, that was the mistake of sugababes. They never trademarked every thing properly.

In comparisson, Simon still owns 100% eveything of 5h (sadly for them). So even if you dont like them, it makes perfect sense really. Even if they only do half of what LM does in UK, it is worth it. (Forgive bad grammar)

Sources??? 5H have been saying it in interviews constantly that it is 50/50 between LA Reid and Simon Cowell. Simon does not operate with 5H's business in America but it is evident that he takes control on what happens overseas. I also wouldn't exactly say that everything is owned by LA & Simon though b/c 5H are actually endorsed as a brand than a band. MTV, The Barbie Dolls, Clean & Clear etc. I don't think the brand thing is a bad idea though, its great actually b/c it gives them that push to be spread worldwide. Having great music is one thing but if there's no exposure to support it than whats the point? :blush:

I think it would be nice if they got their first #1 in the UK, however the difference between the UK market and the US market is huge. Obviously whatever they do in the UK will always be inferior to their achievements in the US, which is where it actually matters anyway. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    I knew the media would pick up on this

@NowMag: UH-OH! Did Little Mix's pals call X Factor USA stars Fifth Harmony 'copycats'? http://t.co/5FV79Mypsm

I'm going to defend Debbie P here as she's always been straight up for years. She never once tweeted about anything other than Cowell, Sony or Modest directly. In fact the only passing reference to 5H was one retweet of a retweet. Even other retweets of hers didnt mention anything but current management.

Aaron however can go sit in the corner.

For certain fans trying to stir up trouble by implying Debbie was implying 5H, remember LM have been playing third fiddle to 1D for years.
  • Options
    old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultimately though, how the girls' next single and album perform will determine their fates in the near future.....never mind what goes on in twit-world...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Hello, it's been a while!

Just want to thank y'all for the warm welcome!

About the 5H 'shading' situation... It seems to me that things have been brewing up behind the scenes for awhile now with 5H's "global domination" and LM's lack of worldwide exposure. I mean, how does a group win and get nominated for a VMA & EMA without an album being released?

I can see why they won a VMA because it's an American award but the EMA is just puzzling. If anything, LM should have gotten that nomination which brings me back to the fact that Syco and Epic has really pulled out all the stops for 5H where as Columbia, Syco, and Modest has left LM to their own defenses.

Salute was the perfect example. Great album but little promotion and I don't think the girls were happy about how everything played out. From a fan and listener's point of view, I thought the Neon Lights tour wasn't the greatest strategy for them because they needed to shine with another bigger artist and reach new audiences; Demi wasn't it and they also had to compete with 5H.

Also, with the tweets coming from LM's "camp", I get the feeling that they're not only dissatisfied with 5H but with Ella Henderson too. Right off the bat, Ella's getting promo slots not just within the UK but in the States and Simon & Co. has given her a lot of big named producers. I mean LM has been pining to work with US producers for a while now and nobody gives a hoot.

To say that they're being screwed over is an understatement so I don't mind the complaints.

BTW, what's the point of hyping 5H's XFUK performance when they lip synced? So much for showing the world that they're the next best girl group.
  • Options
    iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hazelle wrote: »
    Hello, it's been a while!

Just want to thank y'all for the warm welcome!

About the 5H 'shading' situation... It seems to me that things have been brewing up behind the scenes for awhile now with 5H's "global domination" and LM's lack of worldwide exposure. I mean, how does a group win and get nominated for a VMA & EMA without an album being released?

I can see why they won a VMA because it's an American award but the EMA is just puzzling. If anything, LM should have gotten that nomination which brings me back to the fact that Syco and Epic has really pulled out all the stops for 5H where as Columbia, Syco, and Modest has left LM to their own defenses.
    They didn't win an EMA though. They were just the North American representative for the Worldwide Act Award, which China's Bibi Zhou won.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    iamstrong wrote: »
    They didn't win an EMA though. They were just the North American representative for the Worldwide Act Award, which China's Bibi Zhou won.

But they were nominated? Thanks for the correction. :)
  • Options
    davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    Since people saying 5H are doing well, I would like to know where all there singles charted in each country. I want to see if I think they doing well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old mixer wrote: »
    Ultimately though, how the girls' next single and album perform will determine their fates in the near future.....never mind what goes on in twit-world...

Tell that to James Arthur. :p But to echo some of what Hazelle posted, its about the promotion too. Where was the US radio plugger in 2014 for instance? Are LM getting the third stringers for their team? I'm starting to think this is the real reason why girl groups fail, their support suddenly stops. I'd hope this wasnt the case because a label can put an act into years of limbo.

Would it do LM any good to sign with Global?
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell that to James Arthur. :p But to echo some of what Hazelle posted, its about the promotion too. Where was the US radio plugger in 2014 for instance? Are LM getting the third stringers for their team? I'm starting to think this is the real reason why girl groups fail, their support suddenly stops. I'd hope this wasnt the case because a label can put an act into years of limbo.

Would it do LM any good to sign with Global?

I'd happily take them signing with Global. Guaranteed non-stop play by Capital.
This discussion has been closed.