Options

"Foreign" restaurants in London?

Comments

• Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hathor wrote: »
    This is one thing that really irritates the shite out of me even though I live in a large regional town.

There is only:

Pub food
    Chinese
    Indian
    Pizza
    Burger
    The occasional 'noodle dive'.

The lack of variety is dreadful. This is why I wish I lived somewhere more like London.
    Same here. The choice is a little better in Liverpool, though some places are those chain restaurants that have perhaps a more unusual 'genre' of food but lack that independent feel.

And while Chinese restaurants are very common across the UK, some of the Chinese restaurants in Liverpool are just out of this world thanks to the centuries old community in the city.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've got a new punjabi one, but I dont know what its like!
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    flyingv wrote: »
    There's one at Trafalgar Square, it's called Albannach and apparently very good too...;)

Meh. Just had a look at their website and it's far too poncey to be proper Scottish. Where's the square sausage, haggis supper and tattie scones...? ;)
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would they happen to serve sannakji? I've always wanted to try that. :eek: :o

Is that Alsation or Poodle??
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like Polish & Russian restaurants even though I don't like all the food. There's Wodka in Kensington, Daquise in South Ken - which is dead cheap & been there for years, & Trojka in Primrose Hill.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    Greek restaurants aren't really much of a novelty in London, to be honest.

Good ones are.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    It's one of the things I'd miss most about London. Not just the variety of cuisines, but the quality too. Provincial places mostly serve slop.

Do you really believe that?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Does anyone know any good New Zealand restaurants?

Kiwi Kitchen: http://www.thekiwikitchen.co.uk/

In terms of variety, London must be one of the best (if not the best) cities in the world for restaurants and I'd be staggered if there was a cuisine you couldn't eat.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first ever real Indian Restaurant was opened in London in the early 1920s but it seems we had types of Indian food hundreds of years before, surprisingly.. The history of Indian food in Britain is now almost four hundred years old and not only has the cuisine undergone a great change in the United Kingdom but also in its native land. Apart from the reports of occasional explorers, the story really starts with the arrival in Surat of the English merchants of the East India Company in 1608 and then again and more successfully in 1612.

Soon lascars - seamen, mainly from Bengal - were helping to man British ships and despite The Navigation Act of 1660 stating that 75% of the crew of a British ship had to be British, a number began appearing in London throughout the century.http://www.menumagazine.co.uk/book/restauranthistory.html
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think London is very lacking in Mexican restaurants!! There are plenty of places that do Tex-Mex but nowhere "authentic" and traditiona (nowhere that I have been anyway!!)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think London is very lacking in Mexican restaurants!! There are plenty of places that do Tex-Mex but nowhere "authentic" and traditiona (nowhere that I have been anyway!!)

That's a fair point - but there's never been much of a Mexican population in London or the UK.

Go to any city in the US and you'll get really good and really cheap Mexican food everywhere.
  • Options
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    Wow- that Kiwi restaurant looks fabulous- just been drooling over the menu.

Manchester is great for food but has nothing like the choice Londoners have. Mind you we went to a new Pakistani restaurant in central Manchester ( as opposed to Indian which are mainly Bengali here anyway) and it was superb- really different from your bog standard curry house.

My favourite food is Thai- can any Londoners recommend a great Thai place for next time we go down?
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what the smallest country is to have a restaurant dedicated to its cuisine in the UK? I bet there's a Maltese restaurant somewhere. I bet there isn't one for San Marino! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just found this one in Glasgow not sure if one been mentioned yet...Khublai Khans Mongolian food.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Try Benito's Hat on Goodge Street. I'm a Yank and I know good Mex and this is good, and also run by Mexicans. It is super cheap too. My hubby and I had a great meal and got change from a £20.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Yum! Do you know anywhere that does burgers like fuddruckers ?

I've never been to Fuddruckers! GBK is nice though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Aren't Mongolian restaurants the ones where you pick the raw ingredients and then they are cooked in front of you? There's quite a few 'Mongolian' restaurants all over the place

Here's a link to the place you mentioned:

http://www.khublaikhan.co.uk/edinburgh_menu_khublai_khans.html

Have a look at the desserts!! Super authentic :eek:
    oh really, I dont know , dont eat out much and never been to Mongolian. oh dear , they eat ostrich, dont think Ill be going in there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    My favourite restaurant in London is this little Iranian place called Alounak in Westbourne Grove. It's amazing. Unfortunately I haven't been for a while now as I live on the other side of town, but I can't recommend it highly enough!
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to go a bit off-track here (on my own thread!) but have you ever seen a genuine British restaurant outide the UK (not including the tacky "chips just like Mum makes" in Benidorm"!)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Franglais wrote: »
    Sorry to go a bit off-track here (on my own thread!) but have you ever seen a genuine British restaurant outide the UK (not including the tacky "chips just like Mum makes" in Benidorm"!)?

Yeah, i've seen loads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Try Benito's Hat on Goodge Street. I'm a Yank and I know good Mex and this is good, and also run by Mexicans. It is super cheap too. My hubby and I had a great meal and got change from a £20.

Benito's Hat sounds a lot like Tortilla that I went to on Sunday. It was very good! I'm from Texas and I thought it was good... though the salsa wasn't nearly spicy enough for me. I was just happy to find something that resembles Chipotle Grille in Texas.

http://www.tortilla.co.uk/

I'll be trying Benito's Hat soon, very soon!
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    If you want Korean restaurants, go to New Malden.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erithacus wrote: »
    I'll be trying Benito's Hat soon, very soon!

I had a look at the menu and it seems mostly just a taco/burrito bar? Does it offer more than that?

While I have NO problems at all with that, my trips to Mexico really broadened my horizons - admittedly I was staying with foodies - we had wonderful moles, empanadas, huitlacoche (corn mould - sounds rancid but was delicious)...... it was such good food and much broader than the mexican food we seem to get over here.

Has anyone tried Oaxaca the Thomasina whatsername from Masterchef's restaurant?

Just out of curiousty - what do people think is "tex-mex"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a look at the menu and it seems mostly just a taco/burrito bar? Does it offer more than that?

While I have NO problems at all with that, my trips to Mexico really broadened my horizons - admittedly I was staying with foodies - we had wonderful moles, empanadas, huitlacoche (corn mould - sounds rancid but was delicious)...... it was such good food and much broader than the mexican food we seem to get over here.

Has anyone tried Oaxaca the Thomasina whatsername from Masterchef's restaurant?

Just out of curiousty - what do people think is "tex-mex"?

I've been to Wahaca. Nice food, can't vouch for it's authenticity as never been to Mexico. Bit rushed though, very much like a Wagamama type experience.