Options

Chain Letters

pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
Forum Member
I get loads of these from various people and normally I don't really mind them although I have never sent them on. The problem is I am back in Brisbane where I live for part of the year. I received a chain letter today with the usual "pass this on or you will have a horrible day which will get worse during the week".

Look, I narrowly missed the worst of the floods, and we have a cyclone warning for later this week. How much worse could this week get!

I know the UK sender didn't mean it intentionally, I am just on her sender list, but I'm feeling a little fragile at the moment.

Maybe it's time to stop this chain letter nonsense, or at least give a thought to whom they are being sent to and be a bit more discriminating?

Comments

• Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    If you don't forward my post you will develop fatal halitosis.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Throw them straight in the bin and do not give them another thought.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody hell, do people still send them? You must have really gullible friends.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Throw them straight in the bin and do not give them another thought.

It was an email and normally I do just automatically delete them, trust me to open this one!! No snail mail being delivered at the moment because of the floods.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old skool spam!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    It was an email and normally I do just automatically delete them, trust me to open this one!! No snail mail being delivered at the moment because of the floods.

Just delete them pegasus. Nothing untoward will happen. I get them in the form of texts, and delete them immediately.

Hope the clean up is going well in Brisbane. :)
  • Options
    magsy56magsy56 Posts: 2,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take no notice Pegasus, chain letters are a waste of time.

The sender obviously did not think too hard about your circumstances - I'm sure they would be mortified when and if they realise.

Having been a victim of the 2007 floods in England I truly sympathise, my heart goes out to you and all affected by the devastation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get a fair few, "send this to 6 of your friends and you will receive good luck or a windfall in the next few days" type of thing. Never had where something bad will happen to you if you dont pass them on though.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    I get loads of these from various people and normally I don't really mind them although I have never sent them on. The problem is I am back in Brisbane where I live for part of the year. I received a chain letter today with the usual "pass this on or you will have a horrible day which will get worse during the week".

Look, I narrowly missed the worst of the floods, and we have a cyclone warning for later this week. How much worse could this week get!

I know the UK sender didn't mean it intentionally, I am just on her sender list, but I'm feeling a little fragile at the moment.

Maybe it's time to stop this chain letter nonsense, or at least give a thought to whom they are being sent to and be a bit more discriminating?

Well obviously you've missed one in the past. Now we know who to blame for the floods in Australia. Don't you wish you'd paid attention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Real life story:

Mum: Did you get the email I sent you?

Me: No?

Mum: Oh, hang on

Me: (Knowing how long it takes mum to check things out) It's OK, I'm on the laptop now. Did you mean the forward?

Mum: Yeah! Did you get it?

Me: I did, but I have no images, so it doesn't make sense.

Mum: Oh!

Me: Maybe if you think it's funny enough you can send it again?

Mum: You didn't see any pictures?

Me: No, don't worry about it.

Mum: Oh, only I got no pictures either.

Me: But you still sent it?

Mum: Yeah. It said, send it to 10 friends and see what happens.

Me: So why did you send it?

Mum: I wanted to see what happened.

*honest to goodness truth
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have loads of horrible days and I havent had one for ages. Proof they are bollox. I thought believing in these things went out with believing there is a god;)
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    my daughter and her friend often get the text ones on their phones telling them to pass them on to 10 friends or something will happen to a family member..I have told them to send it to me 10 times and I'll delete them
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was going to be a thread about the classic ITV gameshow "Chain Letters" :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cumulative waste of global bandwidth due to this type of crap must be astounding.

There`s always those people who have a permanent list of people to forward a message to ....sometimes the list is rather long.
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Just send £1 to the first five posters in this thread. Remove the top name move eveybody up one and put your own name at position number five. Then do a mail out to maybe twenty or so people on digital spy saying "please send £1 to the first five posters in this thread remove the top name from the top five posters and move everybody up one and put your own name at position number five then do a mail out to maybe twenty or so people on digital spy "...repeat this till your a squillionaire.