Options

"Domed" cakes

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I did a couple of sponge cakes yesteday. I am going to have a go at a Topsy Turvy cake this weekend - ( my first Topsy Turvy cake ! ), but the tops of the cakes are domed.
All my my eggs and my butter were all at room temperature, so what has gone wrong ?
The cake is going to be 10 inches in height (4 sponges) and the bottom of the cake will be 9 inches in diameter.
The same thing happens when I make cupcakes :(
How do I get perfectly flat sponge cakes ?

Comments

• Options
    Robbie_CraigRobbie_Craig Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what type of batter are you using ?
    in most cases it helps to have slightly less batter in the centre of the pan/mould
    if using SR Flour make your own if not continue to turn the storage container upside down as the raising powders & flour weigh different and tend to separate and of course sieve well,
    to help distribute the heat as most domestic oven's are hotter in the middle try putting damp corrugated cardboard under the tin/mould using a flat tray as a base as it helps distribute the heat better
    hope this helps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took a Jamie Oliver Victoria Sponge recipe and multipied all the ingredients by three.
    I used 2 x 9 inch Springform cake tins and 2 x 5 inch Springform cake tins.
    This is the Jamie Oliver recipe -
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/home-cooking-skills/classic-victoria-sponge-with-all-the-trimmings
    I made sure that the batter was perfectly flat and smooth on the top before they went in the oven, but I had to cook them for a bit longer than the recipe says before the skewer came out clean.
  • Options
    Tango CharlieTango Charlie Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    You could try baking a a lower temperature for a longer time. I have found that baking cupcakes at 160C for 20-23 minutes gives me a flat top, but if I bake them for less time at a hotter temperature I get a dome.
  • Options
    Robbie_CraigRobbie_Craig Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a equal quantities sugar batter method
    Try weighing the egg 225 grm pre mixing and slightly above room temp, the average lg egg weighs 70-90 grams
    Baking powder-2pts(10g)Cream of tartare + 1prt(5g)Bicarbonate of Soda
    Self Raising or Scone Flour 1lb(480g) sieved plain flour +1oz(30g) Baking powder mix ans sieve at least 3 times.
    The problem with commercial sr flour is the bp sinks to the bottom and eventually the bp itself will separate largely due to the length of time it is stored.
    try making a slight hollow in the centre of the tin
    most domestic ovens are very bad at distributing heat and the centre is warmer hence the damp card board to help distribute the heat coming from underneath
    most problems of this type are usually heat and mixture distribution problems.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Either slice the top off or turn it upside down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Either slice the top off or turn it upside down.

That's what I usually do. :)
    However, either my knife skills are not the best in the world, or I've got a blunt knife, but I get a wonky cut !
    I've just been out and bought a Cake Leveller, and now I have got a level cut :)
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought cakes always rose more in the middle? Surely the only way to get flat cupcakes is to slice the top off?