Great Guns. Did you know what it meant?

henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Darcey say "You've got Great Guns".

I thought she said "Great Gums" but didn't know what she meant. I discovered here it was "Great Guns" and thought maybe penises but that would make it plural and that would be weird.

Did you know what "Great Guns" meant before the "Sunday" results show?

Did you know what Great Guns meant when Darcey said it? 159 votes

Yes I knew
91% 145 votes
No idea but guessed wildly
8% 14 votes

Comments

• Cal ChristopherCal Christopher Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Indeed.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea, never heard the expression related to the body before.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep, sure did
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I assume she's referring to his arms when flexed, they're quite spectacular but a ridiculous reason to vote for someone.
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely only new viewers won't have known?

Anyone watching the Arlene/Austin series will have known (maybe it was a regular comment before then but I only became aware of it that year).
  • CallmepitstopCallmepitstop Posts: 3,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Guns" are flexed biceps, usually of impressive size. ;-);-)
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely only new viewers won't have known?

Anyone watching the Arlene/Austin series will have known (maybe it was a regular comment before then but I only became aware of it that year).

No. Only new readers of DS. A lot of stuff on television passes people by.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I knew it was just another name for biceps. Much loved by Darcey and Olive Oyl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I knew it was just another name for biceps. Much loved by Darcey and Olive Oyl.

Olive Oyl and Popeye fame? I don't remember that connection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Very common phrase but even if you'd never heard the it before SB arrived on Strictly, his "guns" have been mentioned pretty much every week this series!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Guns" are flexed biceps, usually of impressive size. ;-);-)

Off to the gym this evening for a tango class. Should get there early to work on my guns. Might come in handy in a dance-off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dander wrote: »
    Very common phrase but even if you'd never heard the it before SB arrived on Strictly, his "guns" have been mentioned pretty much every week this series!

That's the point of the poll.

I don't go to the attic :cool::o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in terms of cultural significance and impact what is the feminine equivalent?

Breasts, Hooters, Boobs or Tits or something else?

Is it sexually charged? Would a hetero male refer to another bloke's "guns"?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olive Oyl and Popeye fame? I don't remember that connection.

Oh yes, Popeye had impressive guns, but only after he had consumed some spinach.
    But Bluto was a big guy and didn't need the help of any vegetables to bulk up, never quite understood Olive's thinking there. :)
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I was listening last week when Tess interviewed Harry Judd and said "Remember those guns, ladies? I'm sure you do" whilst touching Harry's.;-)
  • RosegrowerRosegrower Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    No, I must be very niave. I had no idea, and couldn't even guess wildly. I thought she meant he had gone "great guns". It was an irrelevant comment anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosegrower wrote: »
    No, I must be very niave. I had no idea, and couldn't even guess wildly. I thought she meant he had gone "great guns". It was an irrelevant comment anyway.

Yes I would know what that meant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Its Tess' favourite word, didn't you see her fawning over Harry Judd on the results show a few weeks back?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mascot wrote: »
    Its Tess' favourite word, didn't you see her fawning over Harry Judd on the results show a few weeks back?

I recall Harry Judd had won a few years back but I don't remember what he looks like or what he is a celebrity for.
  • Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    I assume she's referring to his arms when flexed, they're quite spectacular but a ridiculous reason to vote for someone.
    This. Silly woman, made her sound so stupid!
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    Tess has been raving about the "guns" of male celebrities since the show began. Reached a crescendo in series 6 with Austin Healy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pasodabble wrote: »
    Tess has been raving about the "guns" of male celebrities since the show began. Reached a crescendo in series 6 with Austin Healy.

Climax. It should be climax. The crescendo is the build up to the climax. :D:D:D (my son plays piano, so he should know ;-))
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, Popeye had impressive guns, but only after he had consumed some spinach.
    But Bluto was a big guy and didn't need the help of any vegetables to bulk up, never quite understood Olive's thinking there. :)

Popeye's forearms were beefy, his biceps were quite weedy, actually :D

http://cartoonsimages.com/sites/default/files/field/image/8916-popeye-the-sailor-cartoons-spinach_1920x1080.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in terms of cultural significance and impact what is the feminine equivalent?

Breasts, Hooters, Boobs or Tits or something else?

Is it sexually charged? Would a hetero male refer to another bloke's "guns"?

As far as I know, "guns" is a word both males and female use :confused::confused:
  • Twinkle toes noTwinkle toes no Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcey say "You've got Great Guns".

I thought she said "Great Gums" but didn't know what she meant. I discovered here it was "Great Guns" and thought maybe penises but that would make it plural and that would be weird.

Yep because she uses the phrase every time she fancies someone with muscular arms. Shallow cow >:(. I'm getting grumpy even thinking about it!