Claiming back travel and hotel expenses?

delectabledelectable Posts: 1,140
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now, I'm going for job interviews at the moment and as I'm moving to a new city, it involves some travel and overnight hotel stays! :D

I went to one last week, and was given an expenses form after my interview to be filled,as I was leaving. But, it needs to be signed off by the panel..so will have to send it off now, to get authorised by the council and panel! :cry:

But, I was just wondering when is a good time to ask for an expenses form on the day of interview or after? I don't want to be looked on negatively, you see! ;)

Comments

• simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest that, if you're not told beforehand that expenses will be paid, that you won't get any and I wouldn't ask!

It's a luxury not a right ;)
  • delectabledelectable Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, I wasn't told this time! I was only given it, when I was leaving. They nearly missed me....I could have gone and would never have known!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    delectable wrote: »
    But, I wasn't told this time! I was only given it, when I was leaving. They nearly missed me....I could have gone and would never have known!

Not many places will pay expenses, you were lucky that time. Never ask! They will let you know if they do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Firstly good luck with the job hunt, it's a difficult time out there :D

Asking for expenses is a difficult one since you don't want to appear to be a money grabber at an interview but you do have some expenses. Speaking for an employer, while I wouldn't object to paying for a rail ticket if I expected you to attend an interview miles away, I would not expect to pay for your hotel, travel etc if you wanted a job in a different place from where you lived.

This said, if you are going through an agency you could risk asking as it's unlikely they'd tell the potential employer, but if you ask the employer directly I'd remember candidates for the wrong reasons if they turned up and asked me for some money!

Part of finding a new job is having to swallow some costs; I've had to bear train costs, taxi fares and food for interviews a couple of hundred miles away - I wanted the job and was prepared to pay my expenses to get it.

Whatever you choose, I really do wish you luck with the job hunt, persistance really does pay off!