Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've actually started going through them all myself, so it's been nice to see other people with the same suggestion. :p

I've only reached 1957 so far, although I remember listening through some of these years for Roger's polls a few years back.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year's winner of the Can I Gymru contest. A ballad, fel arfer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9DTYg-hR1o

That's awful!!
  • Options
    TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I suggested that it would be a nice idea if we did a "live" re-watch of old Eurovisions together. Nice way to keep conversations going, relive some of our favourite songs and for those that are not familiar with the old Eurovisions, get to know the songs.

Think it would probably be a bit much to watch every single edition, but think we could do a good number of them if we do it every couple of weeks. My early suggestion was 1998 (the year we hosted), with 1997 (the last time we won) as a second option. I also love 1988 so that would be a good year, I am sure there are plenty of other good years we can do as well.

But it definitely got lost in the I Volo war, I mentioned it twice and both times it got overshadowed. :D
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://escxtra.com/2015/05/31/simon-cowell-interested-in-leading-uk-selection/?fb_ref=Default

Once again Simon Cowel is offering his assistance in selecting the UK song.

I think the BBC should use him, even if it meant that ITV held a National Final

With BBC3 looking likely to close they could let ITV2 show the semifinals in exchange.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i wish we had a song for scotland.. that was nice surprise.. thanks for posting
  • Options
    wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryP wrote: »

Think it would probably be a bit much to watch every single edition, but think we could do a good number of them if we do it every couple of weeks. My early suggestion was 1998 (the year we hosted), with 1997 (the last time we won) as a second option. I also love 1988 so that would be a good year, I am sure there are plenty of other good years we can do as well.

A lot of the earlier shows are less than two hours long so it wouldn't be that bad to go through them all. I did it last summer via YouTube on my smart TV and it was actually quite entertaining. Mind you I was doing three a week, but that is no different to two semis and a final.

However, if that really daunting I would do,, 58, 59, 63, 67, 68, 69, 70, 72, 74, 76,77,78,81,82,85,88,90,91,97.98, then perm any from 2000 onwards, although 2001 is worth a look if only for the awful staging and dreadful interval act. That's 20 from the 20th century, say ten weeks if you do two at a time. That should keep people occupied for the summer until the great God Melfest restarts, all hail and bow down to it in reverence, whisper it's name for fear of invoking the wrath of Bjorkman the Barbarian..

Sorry, but I do have a 747 sized wasp up my gusset about the adoration of the Swedish Melodifestival and the way it seems to be increasingly skewing the contest.
  • Options
    wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    i wish we had a song for scotland.. that was nice surprise.. thanks for posting

Can I Gymru is a bit of a curate's egg. There have been some nice songs come out of it, and some shockers too. This year they fannied around with the format having "mentors" in some bastardised rip off of "The Voice" helping the shortlisted contestants, who performed in a qualifier round, with the public vote selecting the final four to compete in Part 2 (all on the same night) for the final winner to be publicly selected again. It was a right mugger's buddle and went down with the long term fans of the contest like a fart at a funeral. I'm not sure if they will keep the format for next year. I hope not.

What's good though is that virtually all the songs end up being recorded and added to BBC Radio Cymru's playlist and it does attract both newbies and amateurs, and well established Welsh language artists and writers - and, like the Eurovision of old, it's the songwriters who get equal billing as the performers.

Perhaps we should invite the lovely Nicola down to Ynys Mon to watch next year's contest.
  • Options
    dia6olodia6olo Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    http://escxtra.com/2015/05/31/simon-cowell-interested-in-leading-uk-selection/?fb_ref=Default

Once again Simon Cowel is offering his assistance in selecting the UK song.

I think the BBC should use him, even if it meant that ITV held a National Final

With BBC3 looking likely to close they could let ITV2 show the semifinals in exchange.

I personally can't stand the bloke. There's a lot of joke acts on his shows (though granted a bit of talent too) and he's likely to come up with electro velvet version 2.

Simon's shows are about simon and what's in it for simon, they are just one big advert for Simon, his label, his current artists and future artists.
  • Options
    Pdm1987Pdm1987 Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dia6olo wrote: »
    I personally can't stand the bloke. There's a lot of joke acts on his shows (though granted a bit of talent too) and he's likely to come up with electro velvet version 2.

Simon's shows are about simon and what's in it for simon, they are just one big advert for Simon, his label, his current artists and future artists.

It would worry me about the possibility of a joke act, as like you day his shows are full of them.

However, it would be good if he was using Eurovision as an advert for his act as that should mean him taking it seriously to get popular exposure around Europe.
  • Options
    youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a trio of Schlager stars at Helsingborgs latest (and reportedly biggest ever) shopping centre concert last night.
    Firstly Annika Herlitz from this years MF, and of course the voice of Elsa in the Swedish Frozen, sung a few songs from the film and then her MF entry.
    Then Måns took to the stage and sung some songs which I think are from his latest album or his upcoming, not really sure, don't know much about his music. He also sung his MF entries and a Skånish folk song with the famous accent, it was nice to know he actually does have a personality.
    Then the final act was Carola who outperformed, outclassed and outeverythinged the other two, say what you like about her but she really has a star quality and knows how to work the crowd (a lot of which had gone home after Måns) She sung pretty much everything and finished with her 3 Eurovision songs, Främling last of course :) It was a fantastic show.

Enjoyed Annika and Carola but Måns sung about 12 full length songs which was 13 too many in my opinion. Liked him before this year but he's got quite arrogant lately, although not quite to the level of Eric Saade. They should have had him on last though as most people left after he performed and didn't stick around for Carola.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,908
    Forum Member
    Pdm1987 wrote: »
    It would worry me about the possibility of a joke act, as like you day his shows are full of them.

However, it would be good if he was using Eurovision as an advert for his act as that should mean him taking it seriously to get popular exposure around Europe.

As much as it irks me, it does have what it takes to pick something the UK can be proud of, and if he backs it, it means sony music backs it and all the radio stations would fall into line meaning we'd almost certainly get a radio ready pop song that would likely do well- If he's looking at breaking ranks with ITV this could be a perfect opportunity for him to explore other options
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    As much as it irks me, it does have what it takes to pick something the UK can be proud of, and if he backs it, it means sony music backs it and all the radio stations would fall into line meaning we'd almost certainly get a radio ready pop song that would likely do well- If he's looking at breaking ranks with ITV this could be a perfect opportunity for him to explore other options

I don't think the BBC budget for Eurovision would stretch to a Simon cowell production.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,908
    Forum Member
    DamienS wrote: »
    I don't think the BBC budget for Eurovision would stretch to a Simon cowell production.

Maybe not a production (although The Voice and X Factor contracts expire in 2016- Hmmmm. ....) but allowing Syco to be involved would up the quality of those taking part as it would be seen as a step towards a career for them (potentially?)
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,284
    Forum Member
    The month of May is nearly over and the best of the ESC radio channels (imo), SBS Eurovision has never worked once... :( Well tell a lie, I did get the app version working for a grand total of 3 minutes the other night and it played Heroes, hence why I'm now convinced that da33431 has hacked my phone. If my duolingo profile changes course to Swedish then I'll have the definitive proof! ;):D
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Simon would know what he was doing if he organised the act because whoever he choose would probably be signed up to Syco and he would want to get money from sales and joke songs from Eurovision never really do well in the charts

and I agree that just having Simon Cowel involved would instil some confidence in acts that are saying Eurovision's a poisoned chalice to give it a go.
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's quite nice and something like that would be an interesting departure for the UK. It would show Europe the diversity of the cultures and languages in Britain. I have respect for the French for sending entries in minority languages such as Breton and Corsican and to be honest I wouldn't care about our placing if we did the same thing. You never know, it could do well, look at Urban Trad in 2003 when they sang a folk-influenced song in a totally made up language and only missed out on the title by 2 points. :)
    That's awful!!

Oh come on, compared the the horror we sent this year it's a masterpiece!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The joke acts in many ways are not the problem I see with Simon because they would get weeded out eventually, assuming an x factor stile competition.

The issue I have with Simon is that the wining act will be Simon's chosen act with the public having no say even if they think they have. He's very good at manipulating the voters, aggrandising certain acts while belittling better acts to manipulate the voters.

That and the fact that he would turn it into a look at me, I'm "Simon Cowell" :o
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think Simon would do a good job of it. He'd become the British Björkman. He managed to squeeze good ratings out of a show that sends an act to the Royal Variety, I'm certain he could make a national selection process into an extravagant production.
  • Options
    Pdm1987Pdm1987 Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't really matter anyway because it's not going to happen and we will end up with the usual half arsed effort from the BBC with the same derogatory opinion of it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most Simon cowell shows end with a dull male winner tho ;). Would we really want a Ben haenow singing a ballad? Austrias song this year could easily have been a winning X factor song and look what happened.

I really think we just need to internally select a decent singer (like we did with Molly or like Australia did with guy) and let them write a song or 2!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most Simon cowell shows end with a dull male winner tho ;). Would we really want a Ben haenow singing a ballad? Austrias song this year could easily have been a winning X factor song and look what happened.

I really think we just need to internally select a decent singer (like we did with Molly or like Australia did with guy) and let them write a song or 2!

Exactly this, It's all about image with Simon with the actual singing ability being a long way down the list.
  • Options
    youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dia6olo wrote: »
    Exactly this, It's all about image with Simon with the actual singing ability being a long way down the list.

If Eric Saade can get 3rd place then the Simon Cowell logic could get you onto a good result. ;-)
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps we should invite the lovely Nicola down to Ynys Mon to watch next year's contest.

She is my MSP and I think she would accept an invitation..

Just had an idea.. invite Leanne Wood and Natalie Bennett

The three of them got on really well in the GE televised debates

http://i3.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article9062713.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/hugs.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youngswede wrote: »
    If Eric Saade can get 3rd place then the Simon Cowell logic could get you onto a good result. ;-)

I appreciate it sells, but from a quality perspective (at least in my opinion) his choices leave a lot to be desired, he's all about the image first and foremost.

That said there's a big market for that type of thing, there's no denying it sells and probably no denying they would do considerably better in the eurovision than some of the more recent entries...
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder why the UK doesn't use Russia's approach of alternating broadcasters.
This discussion has been closed.