Sabrina the Teenage Witch (Appreciation Thread)

Comments

• NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,196
    Forum Member
    I loved Sabrina back in the day. Remember the first time i watched it over at my grandparents in 1996, when it was first shown on ITV, around 5:30pm Saturday nights. So it probably was more of a family show to start with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    Thanks

What about the aunts?

Well cool you know the cast. It was fantastic show and the cast changes weren't a huge issue but always wanted to know why

To be honest it's never been clear why they left. I'm trying to get it out of Beth! Caroline did have her own show, but somewhere I read that Beth left as she didn't feel the show was going anywhere. I don't want to believe this though. She did have a few projects on the go though. I may ask others to find out.
    Blokee wrote: »
    Eek I wasn't paying attention clearly. Zelda was not. Hilda not so much...

They're both very pretty :) Beth is best in season 3, and Caroline I'd say in season 6!
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking about this show today! I always read Melissa's tweets. I'd really love to watch her new show Melissa and Joey.

Might get Sabrina on DVD if I can! Have all series been released?
  • Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved sabrina and still love to watch the odd episode ,

I prefer the early seasons with her and harvey and libby , ect and can't forget those aunts.
  • thisiscainythisiscainy Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    mangomoon wrote: »

Yes, the final Season 7 was released last week actually :)

I've been collecting the DVDs and have just finished watching Season 7. Season 7 is often (correctly) labelled as the season in which it finally jumped the shark :( The aunts went (although Hilda, along with Sabrina's mother, returns for the season finale), Miles disappeared without explanation (although this was a common theme throughout the series, especially with Mr Kraft and Jennie) and they clearly started to run out of ideas ("Ping, Pong A Song" is clearly a rehash of the "The Band Episode", S3).

However, Season 7 is actually a lot better than I remember it. While it starts off fairly slowly there are some absolute gems there - I would seriously recommend that all Sabrina fans buy the DVD simply for the final 3 episodes ("Fish Tale", "What A Witch Wants" and "Soul Mates") where it appears the writers finally decided to give this series the finale it deserved. Fish Tale in particular has to go down as my favourite ever episode, with probably the most emotional moment of the whole series
    Harvey using his love for Sabrina to turn Aaron, Sabrina's fiance, back into a man and then leaving her a letter telling her he'll always love her but can't watch her marry another man

:cry:
  • Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved StTW, and I still do. One of my favourite Nickelodeon shows of all time. I'm a 90's kid so I remember watching it all the time and I've seen all the series.

Though I haven't watched it in a while, I still remember moments from the show. From the early days when Sabrina went to that camp and had to draw her poster for Harvey with lipstick and all her hair had gone, when Libby turned into a goat, when a beanstalk grew near Sabrina's house,etc. And some of the much later stuff when she went to college and dated Josh? And had friends called roxy and Morgan, I think. Then she got her career and was supposed to marry Aaron, though I loved the finale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mangomoon wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this show today! I always read Melissa's tweets. I'd really love to watch her new show Melissa and Joey.

Yep. Season 7 was released on the 30th August! Can be bought individually or as a box set.
    I loved StTW, and I still do. One of my favourite Nickelodeon shows of all time. I'm a 90's kid so I remember watching it all the time and I've seen all the series.

Though I haven't watched it in a while, I still remember moments from the show. From the early days when Sabrina went to that camp and had to draw her poster for Harvey with lipstick and all her hair had gone, when Libby turned into a goat, when a beanstalk grew near Sabrina's house,etc. And some of the much later stuff when she went to college and dated Josh? And had friends called roxy and Morgan, I think. Then she got her career and was supposed to marry Aaron, though I loved the finale.

Ah yes, 'Sabrina Gets Her license Part Two' - lovely episode! And 'Harvey and the Beanstalk' - I love that one so much!
    Yep Morgan and Roxie! I liked the finale but it's too upsetting! x
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Sabrina. I stopped watching it as I got older - and Sabrina going to college. I started watching all the later series' on youtube. I need to go back and rewatch them all at some point. I may start from the beginning to the very end lol.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Loved it back in the day. Salem was a great character.

Random fact: Paul Feig, who played science teacher Mr. Pool in the first season, is also the creator of the show 'Freaks and Geeks'.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The boyfriend was hunky.Has he gone on to anything?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    I used to love Sabrina. I stopped watching it as I got older - and Sabrina going to college. I started watching all the later series' on youtube. I need to go back and rewatch them all at some point. I may start from the beginning to the very end lol.

Yeah I relied on Youtube before the DVDs! x
    parthy wrote: »
    Loved it back in the day. Salem was a great character.

Random fact: Paul Feig, who played science teacher Mr. Pool in the first season, is also the creator of the show 'Freaks and Geeks'.

Yeah he's quite established now outside acting! x
    lealeeds wrote: »
    The boyfriend was hunky.Has he gone on to anything?

He sings...check out 'C.Duck and Nate'. 'Strawberry Girl' is my favourite! x
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the programme up until the season when Sabrina went off to college. It was too much of a change, with new characters and that naff theme song!
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,196
    Forum Member
    I too stopped watching Sabrina when she started college, just wasn't the same. The last series i properly watched was when Hilda and Zelda were running a clock store.

Though i did tune into the final episode when it was shown on Ministry of Mayhem in 2004, as i needed closure :p

Also, i was going to buy the DVD's but have been put off as i've heard they've been edited, and some of the music has been replaced with generic music due to copyright, which is a shame as you do want to see how it was originally intended to be shown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I liked it back in the day, too. It taught me the word "procrastination" :D

I did go off it as the show progressed, though.

There needs to be a Nickelodeon Classics channel!
  • Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did go off it as the show progressed, though.

There needs to be a Nickelodeon Classics channel!
    The same thing happened to me :D

I understand why some didn't take to the change of college as smoothly, I remember Sabrina changed hair colour, and the theme tune wasn't as catchy as the first one! But there was some good eps in that one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I love Sabrina, I used to spend my weekends watching Sabrina marathons and never got bored. Salem the cat was fantastic. Is there a channel that still shows it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    I used to watch this when i was little, I always used to hope that when I turned 16 or 17 or whatever i would get magic too :o But I'm 18 now and still no magic powers :(
  • mulderscullymulderscully Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Love Sabrina, and Harvey he's lovely. (I had a HUGE crush on Nate Richert back in the day).I don't like cats but I made an exception to Salem, he was great, loved it when he turned into Gordie ( I think that was his name). Mr Pool was a great teacher. Didn't like Dreema, just didn't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I watched the programme up until the season when Sabrina went off to college. It was too much of a change, with new characters and that naff theme song!

Yeah it is quite a change...I got used to it in the end but to begin with it was quite hard to handle. Melissa's hair change didn't make it easier either!
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    Also, i was going to buy the DVD's but have been put off as i've heard they've been edited, and some of the music has been replaced with generic music due to copyright, which is a shame as you do want to see how it was originally intended to be shown.

They're not edited as such - they're basically the same and I've yet to pick up on any noticable differences. Also, even if the music has been changed -can't tell the difference! It's definitely worth buying the DVDs, I promise!

Haha yes, it taught me that too!!
    SummerLou wrote: »
    Is there a channel that still shows it.

Nickelodeon MAY still show it, I'm unsure - I don't have that channel. In the States it's on daily!
    Confusing wrote: »
    I used to watch this when i was little, I always used to hope that when I turned 16 or 17 or whatever i would get magic too :o But I'm 18 now and still no magic powers :(

Same...I turned 18 this year and prayed I'd be told I was a witch, since I wasn't the two years previous!
    Love Sabrina, and Harvey he's lovely. (I had a HUGE crush on Nate Richert back in the day).I don't like cats but I made an exception to Salem, he was great, loved it when he turned into Gordie ( I think that was his name). Mr Pool was a great teacher. Didn't like Dreema, just didn't work.

Ah now I prefer Trevor Lissauer (Miles) to Harvey, but I can still see the attraction in Nate! I didn't like Dreama as a child, but I do now! x
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I remember is how Sabrina would often learn a life lesson at the end of each episode. She'd recount the day's events to her aunts or Salem and then say something along the lines of "I learned something today. Life's not all about looking cool. It's what's on the inside that counts!" or "...it's about family!". Cringe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I keep having loads of memories of this show now... can anyone remember the episode where she had to solve the family secret which was that every member of the Spellman family has a twin? Aviary m-fire, then every member of the Spellman family has...a ball of twine?!?! :D

What happened to TV? The shows on Nickelodeon now are a disaster! With the exception of Renford Rejects, I think Nickelodeon have stopped showing and old shows... no Kenan and Kel, Sister Sister, Moesha (although it had a time on Trouble which is now defunct), Sabrina etc...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best.show.EVER!!!

Loved the episode where Sabrina baked a date - Chad Cory Dillan!!

Also - "mitosis is..."!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Aww i used to have a crush on sabrina and zelda.

I remember a few episodes where the camera does a close-up on Zelda's legs :p

I like the episode where Sabrina has to interview a mean, arrogant rapstar but she turns her into sweet nun-alike.

And also the ep where they all sing 'Harmony' and Morgan jumps on the table infront of her parents? and does some hand jiving.

Earlier episodes were better though :)
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    Aww, i used to love this. Didn't watch the last couple of series though,i loved the earlier episodes. Remeber watching the same episodes over and over again on nick, loved the ones where she's babysitting and the one where sabrina has a halloween party and there's termites on the chair. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    One thing I remember is how Sabrina would often learn a life lesson at the end of each episode. She'd recount the day's events to her aunts or Salem and then say something along the lines of "I learned something today. Life's not all about looking cool. It's what's on the inside that counts!" or "...it's about family!". Cringe.

Ha I don't think that happened as often as implied but yes, there was always a life lesson :) Makes the show educational for the kiddies!
    I keep having loads of memories of this show now... can anyone remember the episode where she had to solve the family secret which was that every member of the Spellman family has a twin? Aviary m-fire, then every member of the Spellman family has...a ball of twine?!?! :D

Aviary m+fire of the ABCman FayWray+Sabrina+RobertELee is b+horn with a ball of twine ;) x
    Best.show.EVER!!!

Loved the episode where Sabrina baked a date - Chad Cory Dillan!!

Also - "mitosis is..."!!

Ah yes, Season One is glorious!
    toom wrote: »
    Aww i used to have a crush on sabrina and zelda.

I remember a few episodes where the camera does a close-up on Zelda's legs :p

And also the ep where they all sing 'Harmony' and Morgan jumps on the table infront of her parents? and does some hand jiving.

Earlier episodes were better though :)

Ha yes, Beth's legs did have one or two close ups...as did other parts of her! I LOVE 'Harmony'! It's so catchy!