Christmas lights on the outside of houses

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
Do people who festoon the outside of their house with hundreds of lights do it just to show off how much they can afford the electricity bill ? :D
in a "Oooh, look at ME" kind of way!

Comments

• jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I always think what a waste of time and money, you can't even see them yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful! Offensive on the eyes :mad:
  • ChippedPumpkinChippedPumpkin Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I have a certain amount of respect for people who do this, especially in times of austerity. Buying lights helps manufacturers and retailers and the electricity board and government both benefit from payment of electricity bills.

Overall, good news for the economy.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my pet hates.

I quite like a few outdoor decorations such as a string of lights along the windows or maybe a holly wreath on the door but the ones that look like Blackpool illuminations offend my eyes.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Bah Humbug!!!!

We have a Christmas archway around the door,a 3d santa train and a snowman and elf on a seesaw..

My youngest sits looking out of the front window at them..and little ones stop with their mums as they walk past to have a look..where is the harm?..they are only switched on from about 3.30pm till 9pm so not on that long.

I drive my little one round to see all the lights outside peoples houses to get him to sleep sometimes..children love it just like having the tree and indoor decorations up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    if you buy LED ones then they cost next to nothing to run ;)
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    if you buy LED ones then they cost next to nothing to run ;)

I don't do it mysef but I admit to enjoy seeing other people's, it brightens up the dark December nights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was walking home in the dark a few days ago and at first glance, I thought the OTT Christmas lights at the house at the end of the street were the flashing lights of an ambulance!
  • ChippedPumpkinChippedPumpkin Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    SN-22 wrote: »
    I was walking home in the dark a few days ago and at first glance, I thought the OTT Christmas lights at the house at the end of the street were the flashing lights of an ambulance!

Impersonating the emergency services is not a laughing matter.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    We limit ourselves to those ones that look like icicles. They are LEDs and use 12 watts in total. I can't put them up just yet though, as I'd have to remove a lot of real icicles. I'm expecting a photographer from Hallmark any day now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two years ago it was loads of houses in my area. This year there are only a handful that I have seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have the odd house round our way that ends up looking like a tacky santa's grotto but each to their own (not sure i'd want to be in the house next door though!), we just have a few little star lights in the hedge under the window, had roofline icicles but i think hubby has developed a fear of heights after putting them up the first year LOL

I'm more concerned about my heating bill than the electricity one.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    It's not great at 1am when you're trying to sleep and your room is full of blue and yellow flashing lights from "Them across the road"
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    We have our usual blue twinkling lights adorning our bushes and hedge at the front, they are just to bring a little light and joy to these dark days and nights.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love lights outside.

We have 4 LED reindeers on our front garden that move. I think they look beautiful. Two of them are blue and 2 are white, so they look tasteful too.

But, Christmas is a time when you can go OTT with lights and adorn your home the way you want to.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    Bah Humbug!!!!

The 'humbug' is forcing it pn others.

"I like it so everyone else must have it inflicted on them".

Whenever I see this (luckily not that often) I just think selfish idiots live there.
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »

Whenever I see this (luckily not that often) I just think selfish idiots live there.

And I just think miserable sods if they dont like it!!!:D

You can look away if you go past..and mine are turned off at 9pm so not keeping anyone awake..

We have children..we celebrate Christmas in a happy way for the children..maybe when they have grown and flown the nest we may change..but i doubt it we will still be putting them out for the grandchildren..

If you want to sit around quietly with sensible conversation,drinking mulled wine and M&S finest mince pie on Christmas day that is up to you..our house will be filled with children,family,noise,games and laughter..not everyones cup of tea but whilst I have children I will make the Christmas period special for them..would you rather that or spend victorian Christmas where children are seen and not heard?

The lights are on my land they arent affecting anyone..we arent on a housing estate so not in anyones window and I have yet to see someone frown as they walk past..
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Mine are ironical, but quite pretty. :o I have a soft spot for the really tasteless ones actually.
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Mine are ironical, but quite pretty. :o I have a soft spot for the really tasteless ones actually.

There is no shame in that..I used to try to do tasteful..but when children bring things home they have made then paper chains,glitering christmas trees,coat hanger decorations and glossy crackers..well any thought of a tasteful theme goes out the window..the one time of the year when you dont have to worry about that.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People a;ways go waaaay OTT in my treet, I love the kitsch, plus it does lok festive, it's just a shame that my house looks like super miserable in comparisin. I'll just pretend I'm a muslim or something. :D
  • TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people who festoon the outside of their house with hundreds of lights do it just to show off how much they can afford the electricity bill ? :D
    in a "Oooh, look at ME" kind of way!

I'd say they do it to show how common they are.
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »

How can the people who live in the houses that are externally decorated be selfish idiots? They put them there for others to enjoy and I can assure you that the majority of people DO enjoy it and that's quite the opposite of being selfish. I feel sorry for you if you can't appreciate a little bit of magic for one month of the year, the month that has the shortest days and longest nights.
    Forum Member
    mathertron wrote: »
    People a;ways go waaaay OTT in my treet, I love the kitsch, plus it does lok festive, it's just a shame that my house looks like super miserable in comparisin. I'll just pretend I'm a muslim or something. :D

Nah, be like me and refuse to have holes drilled into your window frames. :D
    Forum Member
    Tetramesh wrote: »
    I'd say they do it to show how common they are.

If thats the case I would rather be common that stuck up..amazing that a house can be judged on Christmas Decorations..very presumptuous of you.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    How can the people who live in the houses that are externally decorated be selfish idiots? They put them there for others to enjoy and I can assure you that the majority of people DO enjoy it and that's quite the opposite of being selfish. I feel sorry for you if you can't appreciate a little bit of magic for one month of the year, the month that has the shortest days and longest nights.

I agree 100%. I love to see other peoples lights. I live in a circle of houses, and every evening when i arrive home some more lights have popped up. It makes me smile.