Options

Have you ever stopped watching one of the soaps?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
simple thread , have you ever stopped watching one of the soaps (eg Corrie , Emmerdale , Hollyoaks , Eastenders , Home and Away and Neighbours etc) and have you watched it since you stopped

i stopped watching Emmerdale a few years ago , to be honest with you i have stopped watching all the soaps mostly , i used to be a big Hollyoaks fan but havent stopped watching them , i stopped watching Neigbours and Home and Away when they moved to channel 5 and i only watch Eastenders and Corrie some times.

Comments

• Options
    soapmadsoapmad Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home and Away and Neighbours .

I used to watch this all the time, and even watched it on you tube, but it went down hill and not watched it for about 3 odd years now .
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours it just faded away, tried to watch again and just does not do it for me.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Don't watch emmie anymore because of Gennie and Nikhill. I switched on last night to see Ashley being treated like shit by his so called wife but don't bother with it anymore. They've also not got anybody at Home Farm now who has dynamism.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago when Neighbours took a break for Wimbledon I forgot to watch it on its return and a couple of days later realised I hadn't missed it so haven't watched it since.

Also stopped watching Emmerdale for about a year around the time of Tina Dingle - just couldn't stand to watch her so gave up on Emmerdale till she left and have never missed an episode since.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up on Home & Away when it switched channels and I never had 5 and I never picked up the habit again.
  • Options
    Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopped watching Neighbours when it moved to Channel 5, haven't seen it since.

Stopped watching Hollyoaks in September, have seen a few episodes since, but they were dreadful.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Yes Emmerdale in 2006 and Neighbours in 2007.

I still catch quite alot of Neighbours and i see some episodes of Emmerdale.

Home & Away when it left ITV but picked it up again in 2008
    but stopped watching in 2010 and now im watching and enjoying it again.

I used to watch Hollyoaks on a sunday (Omnibus) but gave that up too
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I stopped watching The Bill. 2 ...hour long episodes a week became a bit too much to keep up with:(
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    Yes, with Neighbours. I think it was around the time that Sky left, and people like the Timmins. I just loved that whole era with the Susan/Izzy/Karl storylines too. One of my favourite ever soap scenes was when Karl told Susan that Izzy was pregnant and Susan went beserk at him and told him she hated him. Such raw emotion, classic Neighbours, gave me goosebumps!
  • Options
    unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up watching Emmerdale about 2 years ago because of the awful Aaron storyline and the fact that he was in every single episode. Now when I come across the odd episode it just looks tired and needs to be put out of its misery.
  • Options
    fenpeperfenpeper Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    I made a conscious decision to stop watching EE back when Cindy arranged to have Ian shot which was a very very long time ago, but that was the only deliberate decision, the others I've just drifted away from. The only one I watch regularly now is Hollyoaks which is total fantasy and escapism and has become a habit from when I use to watch it with my teenage daughters as it gave us an opportunity to watch something together and for me to answer any questions they had arising from it as they dealt with some controversial issues. I have to thank HO for enabling me many useful discussions with my girls! x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I stopped watching EE around Ruby Allen, couldnt bare another episode of her and her daddy issues...

But what do we have now in EE, pretty much every character has daddy issues >.<
  • Options
    GilashGilash Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Stopped watching Eastenders for nearly a year, only just started getting back into a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped watching Hollyoaks in 2002 and stopped watching Emmerdale in 2008.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    I stopped watching The Bill. 2 ...hour long episodes a week became a bit too much to keep up with:(

Yes I thought that too. It was great when it started but they ruined it.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coronation Street is probably the soap most appropriate for this thread, from my point of view. I watched regularly up until the first of the Connor brothers was bumped off (Paul was his name, I think?). I then just drifted away from it. I still catch, and enjoy it now and then but I don't think I will become a regular viewer again anytime soon.

I've also drifted in and out of Eastenders over the past 2 years, but not to the same extent as with Corrie.

EDIT: Those are the only two soaps I do/did watch regularly. So I have no comment on Emmerdale, Hollyoaks etc.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Stopped watching Coronation Street, Neighbours, Casualty, Holby City and The Bill.

That leaves me with Eastenders, Doctors, Waterloo Road and New Tricks.:)
  • Options
    ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched one episode of CS. It was torture, the accents really got on my nerves and storyline at time was boring.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,304
    Forum Member
    I've watched them all at some point, ee is the only one I have watched continously for years and years. The only other soap I watch now is neighbours, I started watching it again after a break of ten years!
  • Options
    mulderfanmulderfan Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    stopped watching neighbours when it moved to channel 5 and haven't watched eastenders for years
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I stopped watching Corrie in 2000, I use to watch every episode, but now I just dip in and out of it.
  • Options
    CollybirdCollybird Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my mid-teens I watched all of the soaps, I'd come home from school watch Neighbours, then Home and Away, then Family Affairs, then Emmerdale, then Corrie/EastEnders (depending on which night it was), then Brookie. I'd catch up with Hollyoaks and Dream Team in Sunday omnibuses..

One day I suddenly realised my life had been completely taken over by soaps and I just stopped dead watching all but Brookie, Family Affairs and Hollyoaks.

That was prior to the turn of the century and since then I've occasionally dipped in and out of the big three but they've never managed to pull me back in again. The Aussie soaps are just on too early in the evening for it to be practical for me to watch them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I used to watch EE, HO, ED and BS Holby and Casulty.

I stopped watching Hollyoaks about the time that they started late night eps, I never watched them as they were too OTT and as a result I missed huge bits of sl's.

I stopped watching ED once Kings moved out of Hone Farm. I just couldn't get into it anymore, I especially disliked the whole Andy/Debbie sl and gave up.

Like many I stopped watching Brookie when they messed around with the schedule. The last few months seemed to be loads of violence and that awful Sweney woman shouting. It was sad to watch it die.

I stopped watching the Bill when they made it all "gritty". I liked it when it moved to being a soap but couldn't get on with the two hour shocking drama eps.

I still watch Casulty if it's on but I stopped watching Holby about when the girl doctor went mad. I tried again recently but the Irish doctor that went all funny when someone died was too strange. Also, they still seem to have the same sl's, losing jobs, cutting corners, budgets etc.

I love soaps and I'm always sorry to stop watching them. Oh to have the glory days again with soaps starting the evening with HO (or even the Aussie's) and ending with EE/Corrie :)
  • Options
    Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Neighbours and Home and Away from the start, but stopped years ago.

Watched EE from the start and still watch, along with Emmerdale (starting watching that for about 15 yrs)

Hollyoaks - watched from the start, again gave up years ago around the time of Luke, Ruth, Lucy etc.

Corrie - Watched since late 80's but now given up, gave up about Christmas didn't like the Leanne/Peter/Carla SL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Used to love HO but gave up when OB died :(

Emmerdale, is on its last hooks, if Gennie and Nikhil wasn't in it I would of switched of by now. But I'll give it to October :) :cool:

Holby, went down hill when Donna, Maria and Tom chambers left :(

The desperate state that EE is in at the moment I won't be suprised if I turn of by the end of the month. Shame though I used to love a decent soap night.