Options

Pre-Warning or Spoiler

Parish15Parish15 Posts: 821
Forum Member
✭✭
I watch a lot of shows which warrant a warning to viewers before airing but BB'S is so specific and excessive. Its obviously a transparent ploy to pull viewers in, whilst covering their arses...tacky to say the least...think this is my last civilian BB anyway

Comments

• Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Parish15 wrote: »
    I watch a lot of shows which warrant a warning to viewers before airing but BB'S is so specific and excessive. Its obviously a transparent ploy to pull viewers in, whilst covering their arses...tacky to say the least...think this is my last civilian BB anyway

I think they are just protecting themselves. Quite rightly so, in my opinion. There are so many 'delicate flowers' out there now, that will complain about the slightest little thing that 'offends' them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    I think they are just protecting themselves. Quite rightly so, in my opinion. There are so many 'delicate flowers' out there now, that will complain about the slightest little thing that 'offends' them.

But just saying 'there maybe some scenes that viewers may find offensive' would suffice but mentioning things like 'mental health' for example to me serves more as an invite to witness drama than a genuine desire to protect viewers. Game of Thrones for example can turn your stomach at times but the generic 'excessive violence' 'strong language' etc does the job
  • Options
    qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't blame them for doing that - the OFCOM brigade will complain at anything, so the more they cover their arse the better for them.
  • Options
    Philip_ClarkePhilip_Clarke Posts: 1,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is annoying but the entire show is littered with spoilers with the constant "Tonight..." preview at the start of each episode and "coming up" at every ad break. It'd serve them right if everyone switched off after the 30 second edit at the start of each episode.

I did think for a time they were trying to come up with new and inventive warnings for every episode just to entertain the viewers, some of them have been quite funny.

I'm waiting for

"As time ticks by, be prepared for stong language, racism, premature ejaculation, bullying, and jam roly poly puddings"
  • Options
    FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's for the Ofcom complainers and still people forget you can't complain to Ofcom if you don't like what someone has done in a TV show.
    Ofcom only really cover if the broadcaster was ok to broadcast it, were people warned and not upset without knowing.

If they use specific phrase such as 'aggressive confrontations', then they know when they get the thousand plus complaints about Brian Belo treatement, Ofcom will be on their side.

I don't think it is a "transparent ploy to pull viewers in" it probably puts viewers off making the show tacky and they know it but they seem to try and make it a usual run of the mill thing every episode. Maybe they get some viewers who tune if they hear 'full frontal nudity' but you would expect a lot more non regular viewers channel flicking would be put off.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Parish15 wrote: »
    But just saying 'there maybe some scenes that viewers may find offensive' would suffice but mentioning things like 'mental health' for example to me serves more as an invite to witness drama than a genuine desire to protect viewers. Game of Thrones for example can turn your stomach at times but the generic 'excessive violence' 'strong language' etc does the job

There is nothing wrong with them covering all angles. I don't think they are trying to invite more viewers by doing this, just covering what has probably been complained about before. Blame the 'Terminally Offended Brigade', not C5.
  • Options
    AndyS2992AndyS2992 Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AS TIME TICKS BY..

Makes me cringe so bad Every. Single. Time.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't blame them. BB viewers are sensitive souls nowadays. Worse language and behaviour occurred between BB1-BB7 but in those years it was just 'strong language and scenes of a sexual nature' (I remember they are used that in BB2). HTF do I remember that? I was 9!
  • Options
    Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Viacom thing. They have them at the start of all of their reality shows - Geordie Shore, Ex on the Beach, The Valleys etc. I think why the BB one is annoying is Marcus constantly changing it/trying to make a joke out of it when it just isn't funny. If there needs to be a warning, do what the other shows do with just a black screen and white writing with a voice subtly saying it.
  • Options
    malcommalcom Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All these silly warning prove one thing. Offcoms right to censor content should be got rid of. The public via referendums should determine what gets censored not a bunch of clowns in suits whose strings are pulled by whatever government is in office.
  • Options
    Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »

They definitely should not be watching BB then
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all very dramatic and unnecessary imo. Geordie Shore do one after every ad break that simply says "this program contains strong language, sexual scene and references from the outset and throughout" - which suffices it all perfectly. It's the fact that the BB one is in Marcus Bentley's voice that makes it so much more ridiculous.

Also - I mute the telly and look away at every single "Tonight..." and "Coming Up" sequence. They spoil the whole show. It makes it so much more entertaining to not know what's gonna happen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart1000 wrote: »
    It's a Viacom thing. They have them at the start of all of their reality shows - Geordie Shore, Ex on the Beach, The Valleys etc. I think why the BB one is annoying is Marcus constantly changing it/trying to make a joke out of it when it just isn't funny. If there needs to be a warning, do what the other shows do with just a black screen and white writing with a voice subtly saying it.

Oh ok never watched any of those so fair enough, but I agree just leave have a set one for the entire series covering everything and leave it at that!