Options

BT Vision - Poor Signal Quality

My TV has built in Freeview and, even though I'm in a poor signal area, I've had no real problems picking up all the Digital channels.

I've just installed BT Vision. The scan seemed to pick up all the channels OK but when I tried to watch Channel 5 (and some other channels) thro' BT Vision, all I got was a black screen.

Does anyone know if BTV is more sensitive to poor signal strength than other forms of freeview ?

I think I've already got a booster on my external aerial. Would another booster between the wall socket and the BTV box be worth trying ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    It doesn't appear to be. I have BT Vision, and also run a cheap Alba box in the bedroom. They seem to reacte to interference in the same way. Channel 5 incidently, has the poorest signal on both my boxes as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tuner in the BT box is good with a poor signal- far better than the one built into my Sony TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I found mine to be a lot worse than my old Humax receiver. Film4 was unusable for a long time and was still good on the Humax, by now it is watchable but still worse.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ukredsox wrote: »
    My TV has built in Freeview and, even though I'm in a poor signal area, I've had no real problems picking up all the Digital channels.

I've just installed BT Vision. The scan seemed to pick up all the channels OK but when I tried to watch Channel 5 (and some other channels) thro' BT Vision, all I got was a black screen.

Does anyone know if BTV is more sensitive to poor signal strength than other forms of freeview ?

I think I've already got a booster on my external aerial. Would another booster between the wall socket and the BTV box be worth trying ?

I have 3 Freeview tuners. Vision, Cheepo Tv and Another PVR. Vision is by far the best. Initially try a different lead between the wall and Vision Box. Trouble with a booster is, if the signal has, interferrence it will boost that as well. Better put, if the signal is bad you will have strong bad signal.

A booster may help but bare that in mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a silly question?

Does the OP have it connected to BT Broadband?...as there's no mention of it, or a HomeHub

I can imagine someone buying a BT Vision box off Ebay and having this sort of trouble
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a silly question?

Does the OP have it connected to BT Broadband?...as there's no mention of it, or a HomeHub

I can imagine someone buying a BT Vision box off Ebay and having this sort of trouble

The box has to have an internet connection to scan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hunter2660 wrote: »
    The box has to have an internet connection to scan.

That rules that problem out then :)
    i shall go back to lurking :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That rules that problem out then :)
    i shall go back to lurking :D

There's nothing like a good lurk. :D

Could be the old twin tuner needing a stronger signal problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing like a good lurk. :D

Could be the old twin tuner needing a stronger signal problem.

Good point...I would recommend this ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point...I would recommend this ;)

The Vision box is not as flexible.

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/btvision/box.html

Then again, he could always try this. :D

http://www.marplerifleandpistolclub.org.uk/pictures/44magrv1.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

aaah I see...it does its looping-through internally
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aaah I see...it does its looping-through internally

Yes, not as flexible as the Thomson, not as nice looking, and the remote is ugly compared to the Thomson. But the Vision box has a major plus in it's favour. It works. ;)