LBC Northwest closure.

Comments

• soulboy22soulboy22 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    If you are looking for an internet radio to listen to LBC on I can recommend Roberts Istream 83 as a bedside radio, I have one a top quality radio.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy22 wrote: »
    If you are looking for an internet radio to listen to LBC on I can recommend Roberts Istream 83 as a bedside radio, I have one a top quality radio.

Thank you very much.

I've just had a look & it looks a good product & its reasonably priced for a high quality internet radio from a trusted brand.

I'm going to go to an electrical retailer to prod & poke it, because it looks like something I would like to buy.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that; I will certainly try it out.

I've homed in on the Sensia due to its sensational looks & the fact that it is made by Pure.

I'm currently using Pure The Bug which I have been using continuously since 2005, but it has started playing up now.

Every now & then, it wipes all my stations & I have to retune & restore the presets, which is a pain to put it mildly.

No worries. It is a shame, but you need the patience of a thousand saints to navigate the UI. Even the volume control is unusable - thankfully the remote control steps in here, but is not much use elsewhere.

It strikes me that Pure just couldn't make this radio for the price point they had in mind. It really needs a much faster processor and better touchscreen technology.
  • dave1152dave1152 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Ashley Tabor said the Guardian digital content (regional LBC etc?) from Global may return when the local DAB rollout is complete, which may take another 2 years?

Powerline adaptors can affect AM on MW and SW, but if you have internet radio does not matter, but could affect neighbours?

Have to say i am using 3 Netgear wireless adaptors and there is no noticeable interference on either AM or FM
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave1152 wrote: »
    Have to say i am using 3 Netgear wireless adaptors and there is no noticeable interference on either AM or FM
    It's not the wireless adaptors, but the 200Mbs powerline mains adaptors that work at shortwave and mediumwave frequencies.
  • BowdonBowdon Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm sad to see LBC go from DAB North West.

First it was Talk Sport going downhill by dropping the night talk shows off. I had thought LBC would pick up new people from Talk Sport. But maybe not?

I think I'll have to invest in an internet radio too. It's kinda sad how DAB is going.

I don't understand why more dont use freeviews radio stations.. unless its a lot of regulation.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bowdon wrote: »
    Well I'm sad to see LBC go from DAB North West.

First it was Talk Sport going downhill by dropping the night talk shows off. I had thought LBC would pick up new people from Talk Sport. But maybe not?

I think I'll have to invest in an internet radio too. It's kinda sad how DAB is going.

I don't understand why more dont use freeviews radio stations.. unless its a lot of regulation.

I honestly thought they had, as certainly the sound of LBC overnights changed especially, with accents from folk all over the UK, and I thought this was reflected in the listening figures. Didn't realise it was as low as 5000 in the West Midlands. But then I think some people are listening on Sky, some on the internet, so not only DAB. But a few are still finding a way, as over this past weekend, I've heard a Liverpool caller to the Saturday Breakfast show, and I really think that over the past couple of years LBC has gone beyond being a "local London radio station", as one commenter said.

Actually it was this, from South City:
    "It's a local station for London, that's why people outside the capital are generally not interested."

I disagree with that, I think the station covers National issues, and people who enjoy speech rather than music radio, will continue to find a way to listen.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    I wish they'd put it on Freeview. Why isn't it on there? :confused:

That is a good point, La Rhumba, and l'd suggest making that point directly to LBC right here: http://www.lbc.co.uk/complaints-and-feedback-5735

LBC recently joined Freesat at around the same time as it left DAB and joining Freeview's set of radio stations would certainly increase its reach even more.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot about this thread, very sad when I put Nick Abbott on last night to be greeted with the shut down message.

Not sure an Internet Radio is worth me getting just to listen on a Friday and Saturday Night.

I want a decent alternative chat station.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot about this thread, very sad when I put Nick Abbott on last night to be greeted with the shut down message.

Not sure an Internet Radio is worth me getting just to listen on a Friday and Saturday Night.

I want a decent alternative chat station.

I listened to Nick's show last night, but she shut down message has been running all day today.

Looks like no more programmes will be broadcast to Mancs on DAB from today.:(
  • mailmos98mailmos98 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    A sad day.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a good point, La Rhumba, and l'd suggest making that point directly to LBC right here: http://www.lbc.co.uk/complaints-and-feedback-5735

LBC recently joined Freesat at around the same time as it left DAB and joining Freeview's set of radio stations would certainly increase its reach even more.
    Freeview is a lot more expensive than Sky or Freesat and very few completely new radio stations have been added, and it might be more cost effective to go national DAB if space becomes available, but sadly the regional demand from potential for a national general talk station seems to be low, otherwise Talksport will still be doing it.

However if enough regional listeners complain??
  • brokendownangelbrokendownangel Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Cymon H wrote: »
    Why don't you get hold of an internet radio. I live in Kings Lynn in Norfolk & have never had LBC on DAB , but listen to the likes of Nick Abbot every weekend.:)

The cost of an internet radio is prohibitive when you only listen in bed to Nick Abbott on Friday and Saturday nights and Duncan Barkes during the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show I will miss is the Nick Abbott show. I would rather listen on my Laptop for 6 hours a week than fork out £85.

I tend to fall asleep with my radio on. I'm not on unlimited broadband so will have to be selective.
    Apart from Friday and Saturday night I will just have to nod off to Talksport or Radio 5 on DAB. They do help me to fall asleep to be honest.
  • magicshawmagicshaw Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    How Bizarre.

I have a smal pocket DAB radio and I used to enjoy LBC before going to sleep.

Not gonna invest in expensive gadgets to get a £^$ing radio channel.

Best way to cut down on your listeners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to Nick's show last night, but she shut down message has been running all day today.

Looks like no more programmes will be broadcast to Mancs on DAB from today.:(

I was late putting the radio on Saturday Night, but I got the message at 0.30 am. So did LBC go off air 12 midnight on Saturday ? i.e no last hour of the Abbott show.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are they going to use 12c for when it goes off tonight at Midnight ?

I like Heart and Real xs myself .
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was late putting the radio on Saturday Night, but I got the message at 0.30 am. So did LBC go off air 12 midnight on Saturday ? i.e no last hour of the Abbott show.

Yeah about 12.05am just after the news.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    What are they going to use 12c for when it goes off tonight at Midnight ?

It will probably be allocated to Manchester eventually, as Manchester is currently co-block with South Yorkshire causing reception problems in East Manchester and the area west of Sheffield.

Derbyshire will probably use its original allocation of 10B when it launches later this year.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not much consolation but I can confirm that the LBC/SEN app on a Sony KDL-22EX55X works, although it is slow to load. LBC app for i POD MINI also OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I certainly will, thanks for the link. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just sent a message of disappointment to them, that LBC has stopped broadcasting in the Northwest on DAB.

Do they not realise that I may have to go back to Radio 5 and Talksport at night.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Freeview is a lot more expensive than Sky or Freesat and very few completely new radio stations have been added, and it might be more cost effective to go national DAB if space becomes available, but sadly the regional demand from potential for a national general talk station seems to be low, otherwise Talksport will still be doing it.

However if enough regional listeners complain??

This is certainly true for TV channels - it is a horrendously expensive medium to launch on - although radio stations require much less transmission capacity so it's bound to be cheaper and Global already have a couple of slots so we'll see what happens. I'd agree that ideally LBC would go on a national DAB slot but there's zero sign so far that Global are interested and that's a pity.
    magicshaw wrote: »
    How Bizarre.

I have a smal pocket DAB radio and I used to enjoy LBC before going to sleep.

Not gonna invest in expensive gadgets to get a £^$ing radio channel.

Best way to cut down on your listeners.

If you already have wireless broadband in your home, you could always try listening to LBC via a smartphone, tablet, netbook or laptop.
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    I certainly will, thanks for the link. :)

At your service, La Rhumba, and please do let us know what the LBC response is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At your service, La Rhumba, and please do let us know what the LBC response is.

No reply yet, which is a shame, as they should, and used to be, more responsive to listeners. :(
    At least the previous Programme Director, Jonathan Richards, gave his direct email address as a contact, and would often reply. (Sadly, I'm aware he was sacked for 'bullying' staff). :o

Let's give the present lot time, and if I do hear anything, will definitely post. :)

But very interesting to hear that Global do have a couple of spots on Freeview should they wish to use them.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just sent a message of disappointment to them, that LBC has stopped broadcasting in the Northwest on DAB.

Do they not realise that I may have to go back to Radio 5 and Talksport at night.

The answer for me will be a "speaker bar" for the Laptop to get the sound to an acceptable quality and volume....
    I simply cannot return to the mind-blowing banality of 5 Live (except for the 9am Your Call which is OK). If Tony Livesey is the best they have available for the 4pm Drive slot I dread to think who is presenting at 10pm........