Dallas - New Series 2012 - US pace

Comments

• CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is going to be great. There were parts of the first episode that were a bit clunky but I think all pilots are like this when they are trying to establish the characters and storylines. Episode two really picked up the pace and it looks like it is going to be twists and turns galore from here on in.

As soon as Rebecca said that her parents had died when she was young I knew there was something dodgy about her background. And we'll have to watch closely to keep track of who is screwing over who in the whole JR and John Ross battle for Southfork. I'm already slightly confused by it! And already two episodes in they have flung a whole load of bonkers soap opera staples at us like death by plane crash, fake Marta, a Ewing being responsible for an earthquake and former alcoholic, husband shooting, Mickey Trotter manslaughtering, black market baby buyer Sue Ellen being considered a suitable candidate to run for governor :D I love it!!
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I will have to watch both again as whilst I got the main plots, there was at least one bloke walking around giving people evil looks and I don't know who he is or where he fits in to the plot. But then Dallas was always like that. :D
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    i was wondering today why didnt cbs pick up the series since it was there original show?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was wondering today why didnt cbs pick up the series since it was there original show?

Because it has little chance of coming close to the success of the original. CBS expect much better ratings. The revamp is a "hit" on TNT. It would be a failure on CBS. This was a show that managed it's peak at 360 million worldwide viewers for a single episode :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Because it has little chance of coming close to the success of the original. CBS expect much better ratings. The revamp is a "hit" on TNT. It would be a failure on CBS. This was a show that managed it's peak at 360 million worldwide viewers for a single episode :p

When the three oldies were on Jay Leno, Leno said "Nice to see you" to which Patrick Duffy replied "It's nice to be seen!"
    I think they just like being back in the spotlight a bit :)
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

But there is the thing though, it managed nearly 7 million on a cable channel and it won its slot across all competition. If it had actually been on CBS its ratings may well have been even higher still.

Hawaii Five-0 pulls in about 10 million a week on CBS and is considered a hit.
  • mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it didn't really kick in towards the end of the first episode and that was because of JR. Now I am looking forward to the next episode.
    Forum Member
    For me it didn't really kick in towards the end of the first episode and that was because of JR. Now I am looking forward to the next episode.

I think that was a great way of doing it: Start with JR as a mute shell of his former self whilst establishing the newbies and general plot lines, then bam! JR is back in all his despicable glory.

That's standard story telling: set up, establish, then play your trump card.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see from the many promos in the UK press that:
    Cliff Barnes, Lucy Ewing and Ray Krebbs are all making appearances later played by the same actors as well and, according to Larry Hagman, anyone who was in Dallas 30 years ago and is still alive could be asked back next series, too.
  • ArmrokArmrok Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why they need to rehash old shows from the 1980s. I was never a fan of the orignial and I doubt that it will be any different this time - in fact a note to fans of the original: it will be worse that what your expecting. These rehashes never work.

Oh by the way - First Post!!!
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They often do not work. But they do sometimes.

Hawaii 5 0 is actually an excellent example - retaining enough of the original to keep in with those who remember it fondly, but updating it enough so that it works in the 'teenies'.

Dallas may, or may not, be as successful but it has a shot from what I have seen. Plus being on a cable channel is an advantage as ratings will not be so much a driving necessity as if it were a main network. So it could be given the time to grow into itself that it would not get otherwise in the USA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    But there is the thing though, it managed nearly 7 million on a cable channel and it won its slot across all competition. If it had actually been on CBS its ratings may well have been even higher still.

It's a much safer bet. Whatever keeps it on the air os fine by me :)
  • zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Just watched the first 2 episodes, really enjoyed them.

Lucy was a shocker, the years havent been kind!

Only downside for me is all the back stabbing, hard to keep up!

Hope this does well as its good to see it back!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good points. Just to add to them…

Programmes on basic cable get lower ratings, it’s a fact. So while Dallas got a very impressive 7 million on TNT, had it have been on CBS it probably would have got something like 17 million. But lets not forget this is the first episode, the ratings WILL drop, and that’ll be fine, I’m sure TNT will be happy if the season average is half that number.

Back to the original point regarding why CBS (or any other major network) didn’t pick it up. I expect it was had been said it was considered a risk, and they didn’t want to take the chance (which they may now be regretting a bit). Most remakes (or reboots, or continuations, whatever) don’t work. In fact they usually fail terribly, like the recent Charlie’s Angels. The new Hawaii Five-O is a rarity, a remake about to enter its 3rd season, very rare! But it deserves it. :)
    But the good news for fans is that TNT will be a lot less cut throat, so if the ratings do drop it’s more likely to survive on a basic cable network than a major network.
    Forum Member
    Armrok wrote: »
    I don't understand why they need to rehash old shows from the 1980s. I was never a fan of the orignial and I doubt that it will be any different this time - in fact a note to fans of the original: it will be worse that what your expecting. These rehashes never work.

Well I'm an original fan and it was great!

So it's catering for some people and as it didn't attract you the first time, I doubt that it will now.
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    It's just like being back in the 80's!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JR's face at the end of episode 2.

"Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope Dynasty comes back!
  • Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope Dynasty comes back!

If Dallas gets a second series (which I hope so much!) and is considered a success for TNT, then I would imagine Dynasty will definately be on it's way back. The two shows, although rivals, just go hand-in-hand really.

To be honest, a show that I feel could be remade well is Falcon Crest. The story is quite timeless and could be still so relevant today, just like they have done so well with Dallas - glitz and beautiful Californian vineyards. Falcon Crest had the same kind of soul and heart (the land, the wine) as Dallas.

Personally, the one I'd like to see back the most is Knots Landing. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    If Dallas gets a second series (which I hope so much!) and is considered a success for TNT, then I would imagine Dynasty will definately be on it's way back. The two shows, although rivals, just go hand-in-hand really.

To be honest, a show that I feel could be remade well is Falcon Crest. The story is quite timeless and could be still so relevant today, just like they have done so well with Dallas - glitz and beautiful Californian vineyards. Falcon Crest had the same kind of soul and heart (the land, the wine) as Dallas.

Personally, the one I'd like to see back the most is Knots Landing. :)

I hope so love Dynasty be watching some of that today i think. I hope they release Knots Landing on dvd aswell before or if they bring it back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope so love Dynasty be watching some of that today i think. I hope they release Knots Landing on dvd aswell before or if they bring it back.

Dynasty wouldn't work today. It was always trashier than Dallas and regarded as a bit of a joke, even at the time. A so bad its good series.

Dallas was successful and its affection endured so long because the series was much more grounded by its storytelling. The Ewings were not super rich when the show began. They were wealthy, yes, but really hit the big money during the run of the series. It was when it abandoned its storytelling in favour of sensationalism that audiences turned off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armrok wrote: »

Money. Plus there are only so many unique ideas for a series. Thus if you want to make a show like Dallas for the 21st century, why not just make Dallas, and update the Ewing story for where it would be in 2012. That's basically what they did and why.

Its the same reason CBS remade Hawaii Five-0.

I've seen the new show. I was not disappointed. I showed the first two episodes to my parents, they were massive fans back in the day, Dallas on a Wednesday night is one of my earliest memories of watching TV and Dad and I once built a model Southfork out of lego. They absolutely loved it and were gutted they'd have to wait to see more episodes.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Good points. Just to add to them…

Programmes on basic cable get lower ratings, it’s a fact. So while Dallas got a very impressive 7 million on TNT, had it have been on CBS it probably would have got something like 17 million. But lets not forget this is the first episode, the ratings WILL drop, and that’ll be fine, I’m sure TNT will be happy if the season average is half that number.

Back to the original point regarding why CBS (or any other major network) didn’t pick it up. I expect it was had been said it was considered a risk, and they didn’t want to take the chance (which they may now be regretting a bit). Most remakes (or reboots, or continuations, whatever) don’t work. In fact they usually fail terribly, like the recent Charlie’s Angels. The new Hawaii Five-O is a rarity, a remake about to enter its 3rd season, very rare! But it deserves it. :)
    But the good news for fans is that TNT will be a lot less cut throat, so if the ratings do drop it’s more likely to survive on a basic cable network than a major network.

I guess the point is it was always easier to remake a show like Hawaii Five-0. It was an obvious choice on a network that was home to the likes of CSI.

Dallas was unique even at the time. There had never been a series quite like it on American primetime. One of the fun facts is that Dallas is in fact the spin-off of Knots Landing not the other way round. David Jacobs created Knots first but couldn't persuade a network to pick it up. He then wrote a mini-series about Gary Ewing's family in Texas. The rest is history.

If Dallas was a huge risk in 1978, bringing it back in 2012 in an era when US Daytime soaps are dying off would seem even more so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dynasty wouldn't work today. It was always trashier than Dallas and regarded as a bit of a joke, even at the time. A so bad its good series.

Dallas was successful and its affection endured so long because the series was much more grounded by its storytelling. The Ewings were not super rich when the show began. They were wealthy, yes, but really hit the big money during the run of the series. It was when it abandoned its storytelling in favour of sensationalism that audiences turned off.

I wouldnt call Dynasty trashy or unsuccessful. It was a hit season for some years although some of the latter plots were stupid and the creators must have been on something. Im sure done right they could re tool it. Joan Collins still looks fabulous and would love to see playing Alexis again. And John Forsythe was a huge part of the show from start to finish could be a perfect tribute to him.
  • dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love if Falcon Crest was brought back. It was a great show that unfortunately was ruined by the final season and the fact they killed so many of the original cast off. However it could work if they brought back Richard and Lance and perhaps Cole could be tempted back as well as Vicky. They would have grown up kids by now so they could be the second generation.