The Ratings Thread (Part 34)

Comments

• ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I hope not. They are onto a good thing with Milkshake.

Alan Carr did really well last night. His shows seem to be doing a lot better recently.

Yeah he did, it seems that despite the competition from Graham Norton his show suits the Friday slot. I suspect last night's episode will have been boosted a bit by Tulisa giving her first TV interview since the sex tape too. Disappointing for the 9pm shows on C4 though - Cats and HIGNFY seemed to hurt each other quite a bit. VIP looks bad but I suppose it at least retained most of the lead-in. Not Going Out seems to be doing better this time and Life Stories is doing nicely in its new slot, I didn't expect it to do that well with Carol Vorderman.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Just a little note on next Sunday's scheduling - the BBC appear to of made a very late change which I think has gone unreported.

The Voice now starts at 7.15, meaning Planet Earth Live gets a 10 minute head start on BGT at 7.50. Very cheeky - and was clearly done so late ITV couldn't respond, as they surely would of done otherwise.

It's a bit suspicious that BBC1 are running Planet Earth Live in the same week as the BGT Finals in the first place, rather than any other week of the year.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    It's a bit suspicious that BBC1 are running Planet Earth Live in the same week as the BGT Finals in the first place, rather than any other week of the year.
    Nothing wrong with the BBC offering a big natural history alternative to Britains Got Talent. I seen special idents for Planet Earth Live and lots of trailers, it looks great. It can get a good audience for the launch for viewers who dont like BGT,.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hope these group performances from the judges aren't going to be a weekly feature - car crash stuff! :eek:

Set looks good though.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so blatantly obvious The Voice is going to be getting astronomical figures tonight and going forward.

Final will push 15m I reckon.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    3 worldwide trending topics already.
  • fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly awkward/nervy start to The Voice from the coaches and presenters. Understandable on the first live show I guess.

The set looks great - not as big as the U.S one but sometimes I think it is actually too big and ends up looking messy on air.
    Forum Member
    Holly Willoughby just said to one of the contestants on air: "You just opened up the biggest show on TV right now".

Nice to see the BBC proud of this fact. Sam Hodges also tweeted its televisions biggest show now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is literally going to kill X Factor right off - who wants to watch that crap now we have this?

Glossier, more authentic, more expensive feeling (somehow!), great judging panel, a fit male host, a fit female host, great talent, very high production values... and a very slick social networking campaign swirling around it and growing...

I'm a massive fan of this show, the Live Shows are only 15 minutes in and I just know this will to nuclear this year. It's got a huge energy about it that blows anything else talent show wise well out of the water.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    This is literally going to kill X Factor right off - who wants to watch that crap now we have this?
    In the Autumn you won't 'have this', so that might be a factor, unless you are going to record The Voice and watch it again in October.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well they aren't airing at the same time.

And it only feels fresher because it is well, fresher. Its a few weeks old, X Factor is 8 years old. At the end of the day the differences between this and the X Factor are minute.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Glossier, more authentic, more expensive feeling (somehow!), great judging panel, a fit male host, a fit female host, great talent, very high production values... and a very slick social networking campaign swirling around it and growing...

I'm a massive fan of this show, the Live Shows are only 15 minutes in and I just know this will to nuclear this year. It's got a huge energy about it that blows anything else talent show wise well out of the water.

Someone send James a new pair of pants! :p

It really isn't glossier or more expensive looking at all - the production on it is quite a bit cheaper looking than XF's huge numbers, and the judges are a bit dreary as they're all afraid to say anything negative - the talent is fine but it's not that good.

It's a good show, but I hardly think it's going to send XF to death's door.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fodg09 wrote: »
    Well they aren't airing at the same time.

And it only feels fresher because it is well, fresher. Its a few weeks old, X Factor is 8 years old. At the end of the day the differences between this and the X Factor are minute.
    There is something about this show which extends beyond the mere fact that it "isn't The X Factor, therefore it's fresh".

It has an authenticity The X Factor has never had. If XF is not revamped, it will feel very cheap (in values and production) alongside this far slicker, more relevant product.

Anyone who doubts me now, let's just wait for the ratings for tonight but crucially in the week to come - I argue ratings will grow and grow from here.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Stumbles into The Voice Appreciation thread...departs again quickly*

(PS. Shame Have I Got News You dipped - it was brilliant last night. Life Stories performed decently, as did Alan Carr. Considering the weather, I'm surprised the soaps are taking as much of a hit as they are)
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, its like being at a Scientologist timeshare sales conference here with The Voice love in. Best comments so far have been why do the need backing dancers if its all about the voice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused::confused::confused:

I can't see what on earth is constituting to a love in - other than two posts I've written?

Incidentally, because I believe based on watching it and the sort of buzz it is generating (at least in my perspective, however narrow) The Voice will be the entertainment ratings hit of the entire year, bar Olympics etc?
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see what on earth is constituting to a love in - other than two posts I've written?

Incidentally, because I believe The Voice will be the entertainment ratings hit of the entire year, bar Olympics etc?

for something thats not supposed to be about hype, you are sure hyping it up :D IRONY ALERT!! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Incidentally, because I believe The Voice will be the entertainment ratings hit of the entire year, bar Olympics etc?

The live shows in other countries have seen a dip as people have realised it's little more than an Idol/X Factor rip off. But then again, other broadcasters in other countries have tried to actively oppose the shows. Commercial broadcasters here have just bowed down and aired rubbish against it (the biggest opposition was a 15 minute overlap by Britain's Got Talent when The Voice had had an hour headstart. :rolleyes:)
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV first live show I think everyone involved is a bit nervous, presenters coaches also.
    Danny and Jessie J are better at live than Will and Tom imo.Early days-this is a huge show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is something about this show which extends beyond the mere fact that it "isn't The X Factor, therefore it's fresh".

It has an authenticity The X Factor has never had. If XF is not revamped, it will feel very cheap (in values and production) alongside this far slicker, more relevant product.

I just don't buy the authenticity argument at all. What exactly makes this show authentic? Tonight's programme so far is a carbon copy of a live X Factor show - albeit with the pointless addition of Reggie Yates in the 'V Room'. The concept is all about 'the voice' and yet the judges routinely disregard and ignore when contestants sing out of tune. So far rather than just stand on the stage and show off their 'voice', all bar the first contestant has been accompanied by dancers, strobe lighting and various other gimmicks.

I respect that some people like the show, its certainly not a bad watch, but I really dislike the idea that this show is God's gift to music. Its no more credible or authentic than any other reality show. I thought this article had quite a good assessment,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/apr/26/the-voice-nothing-to-do-with-voices?CMP=twt_gu

Don't want to take over the ratings thread with this debate so I'll leave it there!
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    the talent is fine but it's not that good.
    The last few contestants havent been that great I admit. I think song choices need to be better next week because theyre capable of better. First singer was brilliant though and maybe theyre saving the best for the second half of the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    The live shows in other countries have seen a dip as people have realised it's little more than an Idol/X Factor rip off. But then again, other broadcasters in other countries have tried to actively oppose the shows. Commercial broadcasters here have just bowed down and aired rubbish against it (the biggest opposition was a 15 minute overlap by Britain's Got Talent when The Voice had had an hour headstart. :rolleyes:)
    But British audiences LIKE talent shows. I'd argue viewers are CRYING OUT for something like this.

Look how successful XF is/was with relatively bad press - at least while TVUK has this media and social "halo" it will smash opposition to dust - period.

And maybe that's what ITV fans are afraid of? I've never pretended to be an ITVista despite being accused of being one, I just like television that is capable of capturing the attention of the nation.

The Voice UK is so far doing everything right for me, and striking a perfect balance between authentic and commercial. It has resonated with me, and take a look at the detail on Twittter, and in real life (Mum, mates, cousins... FB feed, etc). It's one thing people are talking about it full stop, but the consensus as I see it - of ordinary TV watching folk - is a resounding thumbs up.

And this will be reflected in ratings. ITV, other networks, other shows, talent show-phobes - deal with it!
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,664
    Forum Member
    Well you 'Voice' viewers missed the goal of the season from Luis Suarez on ESPN! Watch out for it later on MOTD, it's an absolute peach. :D

(Forgive me, Liverpool fans like myself have had little to crow about of late.)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find The Voice fresher, better made, the singers aren't just on it for a laugh, no premium rate phone competitions, garish sets, new, and indeed a damned sight better than TXF. I reckon Cowell, who loves being top dog, could have a fit of pique and announce he is quitting the UK and cancelling his shows, although he hasn't done that well in America.
    However, should this day come, pray for ITV, whose Saturday night success has largely been built on Cowell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But British audiences LIKE talent shows. I'd argue viewers are CRYING OUT for something like this.

Look how successful XF is/was with relatively bad press - at least while TVUK has this media and social "halo" it will smash opposition to dust - period.

And maybe that's what ITV fans are afraid of? I've never pretended to be an ITVista despite being accused of being one, I just like television that is capable of capturing the attention of the nation.

The Voice UK is so far doing everything right for me, and striking a perfect balance between authentic and commercial. It has resonated with me, and take a look at the detail on Twittter. It's one thing people are talking about it full stop, but the volume of ordinary TV watching folk is a resounding thumbs up.

And this will be reflected in ratings. ITV, other networks, other shows, talent show-phobes - deal with it!

The problem I have is the network it's on (even more than a show which is trying to be smug and superior when it really is not) but I've gone into that before and actually had a very good discussion on it. I won't open it up again; the result will be the same.

As for tomorrow's ratings - I think it'll clearly beat Britain's Got Talent. The question is...by how much? I reckon it could be 12m against 9.5-10m. But we'll see.
This discussion has been closed.