Stephen Poliakoff's Dancing on the Edge

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alixfowler wrote: »
    #Though I still stand by why cast someone who is fairly well known and was before Doctor Who in such a small role.

It has been well documented recently that JLC struggled to get any acting work after Emmerdale - despite audition after audtion after audtion. It was only after being cast in one of the three (Titanic/Dancing/Room) that the others followed.

God knows why - perhaps the preconception of a Soap background - because she's a cracking actress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed it, it may help that I know nothing whatsoever about the music of the era.

Had to chuckle when Stanley said he was (thinking about) writing a movie about King Arthur given the presence in the cast of Anthony Head (Uther), Angel Colby (Guinevere) and Janet Montgomery (Princess Mithian).

Chiwetel Ejiofor has a beautiful voice as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop in tonight's episode.

HAHA :D I did too and I really did enjoy this episode even after reading everyone's complaints about how it was slow. I will be watching the second episode tonight because the show is just my type.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it rather slow and slightly boring. Will watch tonights to see if things improve.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I don't get Stephen Poliakoff drama's....This one I got, loved every minute of it....right down to the Women in Immigration with her 'stamper'.

Mel Smith....what a surprise..Gwen sings {that was Angel Coulby voice?}... .and as always, Janet Montgomery, stunning.
    CD93 wrote: »
    I hardly recognise him as the villain in Serenity!
    Chiwetel Ejiofor is a great actor.:cool:
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up after 30 mins. I don't know whether it was the artificiality of the black band or the cringelingly awful accents of the posh people that did it. Or perhaps it was all too far fetched. Certainly a lot of money spent on very little.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    I gave up after 30 mins. I don't know whether it was the artificiality of the black band or the cringelingly awful accents of the posh people that did it. Or perhaps it was all too far fetched. Certainly a lot of money spent on very little.

Same. Admittedly, I usually avoid this type of drama like the plague so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that it was not to my liking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been well documented recently that JLC struggled to get any acting work after Emmerdale - despite audition after audtion after audtion. It was only after being cast in one of the three (Titanic/Dancing/Room) that the others followed.

God knows why - perhaps the preconception of a Soap background - because she's a cracking actress.

I always thought she was good in Waterloo Road I know it's not RADA acting but telling the story of a girl being abused by her father then murdering him was a really good WR story. I always thought it was funny her character was best friends with Daisy from Downton. I hope she gets actual acting working at the same time as DW otherwise she will be the Doctors companion and nothing else
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I thought this was excellent! Very much a typical start from this Director, subtle, pulls you in with the intrigue. Can't wait for tonight's episode!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Sometimes I don't get Stephen Poliakoff drama's....This one I got, loved every minute of it....right down to the Women in Immigration with her 'stamper'.

Mel Smith....what a surprise..Gwen sings {that was Angel Coulby voice?}... .and as always, Janet Montgomery, stunning.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is a great actor.:cool:

AGREE!
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was a bit 'meh' as far as I'm concerned - but purely from a lecherous point of view it was marvellous...

First you have Jenna Louise Coleman looking positively sumptuous in her negligee...

Then you have Joanna Vanderham - possibly the most beautiful creature I've ever seen...

...and the brunette photographer wasn't bad either.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then you have Joanna Vanderham - possibly the most beautiful creature I've ever seen...

She does looks absolutely stunning in those period dresses it has to be said!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The music gets more curious. In the scene in the club, the first tune, a New Orleans style blues, was pretty timeless, yet the second song could just have been sung by the 1940's Andrews Sisters.
    It's the saxophone which sound most out of era to me, though I didn't notice a high F# key on one, so if there weren't, that would be in keeping with the era.
    In fact the production values seem fine and everything seems of the period. As a drama it has its merits with a good cast.
  • icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this but had recorded the 1st one so watched them one after another. The only thing is I find I am on the edge of my seat all the time because I know something bad is going to happen. I could feel it in the suspense.

The ending tonight I didn't like, but at least I was like 'I knew something bad would happen!'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't this filmed exactly a year ago now?
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whose Charlie?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't this filmed exactly a year ago now?

Pretty much as there are stories from Febuary last year about it. The show must have been delayed as it was on the Autumn BBC 2 drama promo and is now coming out 4 months later.

Yes it can help a drama when the girls are pretty and the guys are quite dashing. Some people take to period drama clothes and I think, Jenna-Louise, Joanna and Janet and Angel look totally normal in them as some can just look like they are plonked in the dressed.

I wonder if Louis kills Julian and that's why he needs to get out of the country?
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed last night's episode and was waiting for something like this to happen. Tom Hughes usually plays a "not quite right" character so I was wondering at the beginning whether it was him or not - and still don't know!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed that a lot last night, much more than the first one. It's building up momentum as it goes along. There's a lot of perceptive moments in it.

and that brunette goddess in bed with Louis.... sheesh..
  • liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The singers grate on me a little bit but I am enjoying this. I liked the second episode more than the first, but understandably the first episodes are usually slower as they have to set the scene and introduce the characters.
    The cast is very good too.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed that a lot last night, much more than the first one. It's building up momentum as it goes along. There's a lot of perceptive moments in it.

and that brunette goddess in bed with Louis.... sheesh..
    My Janet Montgomery....;)

Great second episode of DotE, it had it all.....plus Hailstones.
    I never trusted that Julian, but the way Jess changed, didn't ring true for me. And what was Masterson ranting for, not just for covering up Julian's 'misdemeanours'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Needs more Rosie.

Not enough hail on TV, I agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Julian was cleaning up the mess he made in the hotel room and lied about it being Masterston?Yes the Jessie stuff seemed weird, I know we don't her full personality as she hasn't talked a lot but I don't see her wanting to leave the band in the lurch without a singer.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Loving it..dont care if it is entirely correct music wise or not..drama,style,likable characters,unpredictable characters,loathsome characters sex,music what is not to like..Ripper Street,Mr Selfridge and now this what a fab start to 2013 TV.
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving this. Wonderful costumes, sets, music, and gripping drama. :D
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    alixfowler wrote: »
    So Julian was cleaning up the mess he made in the hotel room and lied about it being Masterston?Yes the Jessie stuff seemed weird, I know we don't her full personality as she hasn't talked a lot but I don't see her wanting to leave the band in the lurch without a singer.

Julian has got under her skin.. not romantically but showing her what she could have..the car,luring her with the producer story,dangling the carrot..her personality change definitely rings true..look how many bands have a member who suddenly gets too big for their boots and thinks they can make it alone and have the spotlight on themselves..there is always one..I am assuming like you Julian was clearing up his own mess the first time around and not Mastersons..sure there will be more to come to fill us in.