Options

Harry Potter and ...

ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...are there really no other films ITV can show on prime time TV? Christ, these have been shown ad nauseum on ITV2 and ITV1 and it's being hauled out again for the evening.

Are these really the only family friendly films that ITV lazy schedulers can think of? Yes I know we have on demand services etc, but when you're too lazy to stick something on (requires thinking!), then it's still nice to channel surf and settle on a film that's being shown on 'normal' telly.

P*sees me right off and they're not even great films! >:(

Comments

• Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I take it you won't be participating in the latest Harry Potter fanboy thread on here, then?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abso-bloody-lutely not! I enjoyed the films the first time around, though they got increasingly turgid towards the end, but I persevered.

Know there are countless millions who still enjoy / tuned in, but just wanted to vent my frustration at the seemingly never ending showings of this series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It drives me absolutely potty, OP, and I'm a big Harry Potter fan.

There are surely so many other films ITV could show that would get a respectable audience if only they made the effort. I actively groan now whenver the endless cycle of screening all the HP movies every week starts from the beginning yet again.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must have paid a fortune for them to be showing them again.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Harry Potter and the taking over of television :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The Harry Potter films do very well, presumably a lot better than other films for them to get a primetime slot. I'd also note that 8 films is convenient, it's not too many to become annoying to the schedulers, but just enough to cram them in to fill gaps in the schedule for a month or so.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    They'll probably stay in regular-ish circulation until the whole series gets a reboot for a 'new generation of fans' or whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Harry Potter films do very well, presumably a lot better than other films for them to get a primetime slot. I'd also note that 8 films is convenient, it's not too many to become annoying to the schedulers, but just enough to cram them in to fill gaps in the schedule for a month or so.

I'm sure they get great ratings for ITV but there must be other films they can also show. Surely the Potter series needs a rest every once in a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really glad I'm not the only one who feels the same way about this. Would be fantastic if this series gets bought by Sky, just as the Bond series did for a while, which will see its removal from the ITV schedules for a good while. Preferably, forever!
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was Star Wars I - III they have on constant rotate? Or is that only on Saturday afternoons?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I thought it was Star Wars I - III they have on constant rotate? Or is that only on Saturday afternoons?

ITV do seem to have a couple of dozen or so films they repeat on a loop, Star Wars I - III among them.

Do they still show The Mummy, Notting Hill, Love Actually, and Bridget Jones constantly? That got really tedious too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bridget Jones 2 is a constant offender on ITV2, usually 9/10pm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Grey Lady wrote: »
    I'm sure they get great ratings for ITV but there must be other films they can also show. Surely the Potter series needs a rest every once in a while.

Other than Star Wars and Bond, I'm guessing no other franchise gets as many viewers. And one off films are hard to predict viewer wise...
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I love Harry Potter but I never watch them when they're on ITV. I own the DVDs and I prefer to watch them when I want. Off topic but I think the worst movie was Half-Blood Prince. It was too much like a teen drama and there wasn't enough of magic and the bad guys in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And one off films are hard to predict viewer wise...

Never used to stop broadcasters giving us more variety. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Harry Potter but I never watch them when they're on ITV. I own the DVDs and I prefer to watch them when I want. Off topic but I think the worst movie was Half-Blood Prince. It was too much like a teen drama and there wasn't enough of magic and the bad guys in it.

I agree.

Yes, HBP was a terrible film. Really, really slow and dull. The book is my least favourite of the series too.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's strange but film 5 Order of the Phoenix is on on Tuesday night and films 7 part 1 and 2 The Deathly Hallows are on Wednesday and Thursday of the following week but I can't find any listing for film 6 The Half-Blood Prince? Why would they show them all but miss one out?.:confused: