Thinking of ditching Sky.. Options?

ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi. Just need some advice from those in the know. Thinking of downgrading my service, mainly because I'm just not watching much Sky output anymore, plus I'm getting a "no-signal being received" message, warranting a £65 call out charge. I just want to know my options.

Currently have a Sky Entertainment pack, which have
had for years. Also have the Unltd broadband and the HD add on (£10 pm). Therefore, paying something like £45 pm.

If i cancelled my Sky package, could I;
- keep the Sky Box? I'd still need a PVR of sorts. Do i own this?
- keep the broadband as standalone? For wifi/PS3 and Amazon Prime use?
- if i cancelled the Sky package and kept the box, would I still be able to view Freeview? Would I need to keep the HD surcharge, to watch Freeview in HD?

Im really not that into On Demand movies, Sky Movies, Sports anymore and the only thing I'd miss out on would be Game of Thrones... but I'd live.

Thanks for any replies received.

Comments

• ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Hi. Just need some advice from those in the know. Thinking of downgrading my service, mainly because I'm just not watching much Sky output anymore, plus I'm getting a "no-signal being received" message, warranting a £65 call out charge. I just want to know my options.

Currently have a Sky Entertainment pack, which have
    had for years. Also have the Unltd broadband and the HD add on (£10 pm). Therefore, paying something like £45 pm.

If i cancelled my Sky package, could I;
    - keep the Sky Box? I'd still need a PVR of sorts. Do i own this?
    - keep the broadband as standalone? For wifi/PS3 and Amazon Prime use?
    - if i cancelled the Sky package and kept the box, would I still be able to view Freeview? Would I need to keep the HD surcharge, to watch Freeview in HD?

Im really not that into On Demand movies, Sky Movies, Sports anymore and the only thing I'd miss out on would be Game of Thrones... but I'd live.

Thanks for any replies received.

You would get to keep the box with a Freeview type service that you wouldn't need to pay a HD charge for, however you won't be able to record or playback any recordings on the box without a subscription.

You can keep the broadband as standalone but there may be charges for not having both.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could keep the box. But it will no longer function as a PVR. You need an active Sky sub for that, which can be a simple record sub which costs a few quid a month.

You can't get Freeview on a Sky box. Freeview is not a satellite service. You are probably thinking of Freesat. But even that is not strictly available on a Sky box without sub. You won't get the Freesat EPG and some of the channels may be different.

There are number of free HD channels on satellite that you will still be able to watch without a sub.

To be honest if you want all the functions of a PVR but no subscription then a Freesat box would probably be a better option.It should be more or less unplug Sky box and plug in Freesat box and away you go. Though if you have dish problems getting Freesat won't change that.

You can get Sky broadband without the TV if you so wish.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replying. I'd like keep the broadband as standalone, but happy to go to another provider if necessary. If I did, can I still keep my @sky.com email address?

If i lost the PVR function, is there a similar alternative? I've been with Sky forever so not really looked into what else is out there. Is Youview a safe alternative? Just recall the ads..
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    In terms of the TV side of things, I'd suggest looking at the subscription free options below and at the channel choice and make your decision accordingly:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/recommended/freesat-plus-with-freetime (uses the same satellite dish)
    http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels

http://www.freeview.co.uk/get-freeview#freeview-box-with-tv
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/what-we-offer
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/whats-on/channels

You could always supplement those options with Netflix for £6 a month https://www.netflix.com/?locale=en-GB if you wanted more entertainment and film variety and you could check out Plusnet's broadband http://www.plus.net/ options as an alternative to your current provider. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers all.

Blame it on a long day, but can't see the difference between Freesat and Freeview. If I got the Youview box, according to Amazon description, it allows twin recording, 7 day roll back and rewind/record live TV.

But there's also a Humax Freesat with 'freetime' which suggests the same thing. More adamant than ever to get rid of Sky now, because I don't watch the shows as I used to and could save myself a few hundred in the process.

I just want Freeview in HD (if its not an extra sub.,), subscription free, recording function, can connect to broadband for On Demand stuff. Would this suffice?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009T36CYW?cache=4f187029710a2a4b50fc1bbfd1dd48b6&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1405545357&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers all.

Blame it on a long day, but can't see the difference between Freesat and Freeview. If I got the Youview box, according to Amazon description, it allows twin recording, 7 day roll back and rewind/record live TV.

But there's also a Humax Freesat with 'freetime' which suggests the same thing. More adamant than ever to get rid of Sky now, because I don't watch the shows as I used to and could save myself a few hundred in the process.

I just want Freeview in HD (if its not an extra sub.,), subscription free, recording function, can connect to broadband for On Demand stuff. Would this suffice?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009T36CYW?cache=4f187029710a2a4b50fc1bbfd1dd48b6&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1405545357&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Freesat and Freeview are very similar services and PVRs for each can have almost identical features - however the channel line-ups are different each having some channels that the other does not have. Do you have anexisting terrestrial aerial if so and you have a fairly recent TV then you should be able to view Freeview channels on it and then by connecting a freesat PVR to your dish (if it is working correctly which it may not be with the symptoms on your Sky box) you would the best of both worlds - getting the most from subscription free TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks davemurgatroyd.

Yes, I've a fairly recent TV with Freeview built in. Have had to use this, tonight to watch bits n bobs.

Ok,so looked at channels availability via Freeview. (Youview box) and Humax Freesat and the Freesat HDR 1000S has a lot more channels. Think I will go for this option, ultimately. But stupid question... Does the Humax Freesat 500gb just run off a normal terrestrial aerial? Because on Amazon, the 1TB version makes a distinct point of saying "satellite dish required".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Does the Humax Freesat 500gb just run off a normal terrestrial aerial? Because on Amazon, the 1TB version makes a distinct point of saying "satellite dish required".

Freesat works through a satellite dish, like Sky.
    Freeview works through a terrestrial aerial.
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, so it looks like you also have an aerial plugged into your TV to give you Freeview. Are you receiving the main UK channels in HD - you should find then starting at 101 with BBC 1? (It is possible to move these to single digit numbers if you are tech savvy). If you are not getting the Freeview HD channels, then you have purchased a TV with a standard definition tuner.

So, assuming that you have an aerial, it is also possible to get a Freeview HD twin tuner TV recorder. As someone else has said, having a Freesat HD recorder will also give you a greater choice of channels & can be simply connected to your old Sky dish. (When you had the no signal message, it could simply be that one of the wires has worked loose going into the back of the box. They have screw type threads on them. Check the connections before you pay for people to come out).
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if I was to get both a Freesat and Freeview PVR (both Humax) if the remote codes are different so I could use both boxes together? I know some devices let you change the code set so that would obviously be sufficient.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Yep, normal aerial into my TV so Freeview is fine. And my Sky service is back! I've also checked the connections at the back and all seems fine. The outage seems to happen when it gets really hot outside - can heat affect the signal?

I'm gonna call Sky and cancel the engineer visit and purchase the Humax box. Thanks Eston Bleu on how it connects - satellite dish it is. Given my changed viewing habits, i can manage w/o Sky now. Just a shame that Sky News and Film 4 isn't in HD via Freesat.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Yep, normal aerial into my TV so Freeview is fine. And my Sky service is back! I've also checked the connections at the back and all seems fine. The outage seems to happen when it gets really hot outside - can heat affect the signal?

I'm gonna call Sky and cancel the engineer visit and purchase the Humax box. Thanks Eston Bleu on how it connects - satellite dish it is. Given my changed viewing habits, i can manage w/o Sky now. Just a shame that Sky News and Film 4 isn't in HD via Freesat.

Which channels do you lose?

Because, if it is a dish problem, chances are, you will lose the same channels on your Freesat box, and i might cost more than £65 to fix it with an independent installer (id new cabling or dish is required).

Just a thought.

If you cancel your TV, Sky broadband goes up by £2.50
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Heat can affect the signal in several ways. Different materials expand at different rates with heat and this can cause connections to disappear in three different places - the cable connection to the lnb, internal connections/components within the lnb or a break within the cabling - all of which need access to the dish to check out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the full range of channels for my Sky subscription, though with Freesat, i won't get as many HD ones (Ch5,Sky News, Film 4). Not end of the world, tbh.

Have called them and was advised that the BB would go up by £2.50, so my line rental + BB would be £25 odd p/m. But guy reduced to £17p/m for the lot if I committed to another year for phone & BB. Which was fine.

So, will look to get the Humax for mid August, when my Sky TV package comes to an end.

Thanks all.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I was to get both a Freesat and Freeview PVR (both Humax) if the remote codes are different so I could use both boxes together? I know some devices let you change the code set so that would obviously be sufficient.

The modern Humax boxes do allow changing the remote code. This article is from YouView but it applies to virtually any of the current Humax boxes

http://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/How-do-I-stop-my-other-Humax-devices-responding-to-my-YouView-remote-control-1370864294232

BTW in step 5 of the above link you can actually use 1 to 6 to change the code.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The modern Humax boxes do allow changing the remote code. This article is from YouView but it applies to virtually any of the current Humax boxes

http://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/How-do-I-stop-my-other-Humax-devices-responding-to-my-YouView-remote-control-1370864294232

BTW in step 5 of the above link you can actually use 1 to 6 to change the code.

Thanks for that.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the full range of channels for my Sky subscription, though with Freesat, i won't get as many HD ones (Ch5,Sky News, Film 4). Not end of the world, tbh.

Have called them and was advised that the BB would go up by £2.50, so my line rental + BB would be £25 odd p/m. But guy reduced to £17p/m for the lot if I committed to another year for phone & BB. Which was fine.

So, will look to get the Humax for mid August, when my Sky TV package comes to an end.

Thanks all.

What about the problem you have with the dish, as stated above, you will get the same problem with Freesat, if it affects any of the free channels, which will probably cost a lot more to sort out that Sky quoted you.

What channels were you getting no signal on, or was it everything when it went?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. It was everything that went. Total blackout with that message, til at least when I hit the sack. Was restored in the morning. If it happens again, I'll get the engineer out.

It's happened occasionally over the last few months, but only for 5/10 mins or so and I've managed to resolve it by pulling out the plug.

Guess it could happen again, but still glad I've cancelled. There's Sky at my Mum's, so Game of Thrones still on the cards in 2015!