Album with most #1 singles?

2»

Comments

• HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    What about The Beatles? They had a string of #1 singles throughout the 60s but whether they were from different albums I'm not sure.
    Quite a few Beatles A side singles were never released in the UK on official studio albums.

Edit. already answered.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same with:
    With The Beatles
    Rubber Soul
    Sgt Peppers
    The Beatles (White Album)

Though some tracks from these albums were released as Singles after they split none made number one.
    Yes...I think 'Help' was only one with more than one...had two , Help and Ticket to ride.

Amazing chart stats tho...17 (or 18 if you count please please me..number one in some charts) in 7 years. (62-69)
    and 11 studio albums, all number one (63-70)
    Astonishing work rate.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Same with:
    With The Beatles
    Rubber Soul
    Sgt Peppers
    The Beatles (White Album)

Though some tracks from these albums were released as Singles after they split none made number one.

I didn't realise there were that many, I skimmed over their albums thinking "that was a single...that was a single". It's surprising how many Beatles tracks you think were singles were no such thing; I could have sworn 'Michelle' from Rubber Soul was a single. A lot of their singles were unavailable on CD until the Past Masters collections in 1988, and I don't think there was ever a definitive vinyl collection previous to that.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Personally for me it shows how lazy artists can be (MJ was especially), milk as much out of one album before moving onto the next...2/3 songs from an album should be the maximum....but then again I see it's pretty much manufactured pop that's been mentioned, so no real surprise.

I remember there was quite a lot of criticism at the time about the marketing of the Thriller album because so many tracks had been released as singles. Six of the nine songs on the album were singles (7 in the US)

However, only Beat It made it to no.1.

And the album made no.1 which Westlife's debut didn't despite the 5 no.1 singles oddly enough.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I remember there was quite a lot of criticism at the time about the marketing of the Thriller album because so many tracks had been released as singles. Six of the nine songs on the album were singles (7 in the US)

However, only Beat It made it to no.1.

And the album made no.1 which Westlife's debut didn't despite the 5 no.1 singles oddly enough.

Beat It peaked at #3 in the UK, Billie Jean peaked at #1. Both songs peaked at #1 in the US.

It's quite telling that Westlife had five #1 singles from their debut album, but its sales of 1.5 million copies pales in comparison to the 4.2 million copies that Thriller has sold in the UK, especially considering that album only had one number one single taken from it.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »
    Beat It peaked at #3 in the UK, Billie Jean peaked at #1. Both songs peaked at #1 in the US.

It's quite telling that Westlife had five #1 singles from their debut album, but its sales of 1.5 million copies pales in comparison to the 4.2 million copies that Thriller has sold in the UK, especially considering that album only had one number one single taken from it.

Well sure, the facts are true - but Westlife were boyband after all, MJ was a huge icon and Thriller was such a massive album around the world, no wonder it sold so much. Plus, the timing should always be taken into an account when doing a comparison - Thriller was released in 1982, Westlife in 1999, its a whole different era.

Westlife's figures are quite decent for a boyband debut.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Yeah it's a bit strange to compare a global icon's sales quite a way into his career to an Irish boyband's debut album sales 16 years later.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Thriller was such a massive album and Michael Jackson was already a global superstar at this point - the album could've easily sold on name alone.

As for Westlife, one major difference is that by 1999 record companies pumped so much money into the marketing and promoting of a new single, they were virtually buying the #1 spot for a week.

Every year where there has been over 30 different chart toppers, there will always be at least 1 (or easily more) that nobody remembers a few years later. Makes a mockery of the charts imo. Cheryl being #1 this week is an excellent example. I wonder how many people will remember I Don't Care in a few years time.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beatles - 1
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realise there were that many, I skimmed over their albums thinking "that was a single...that was a single". It's surprising how many Beatles tracks you think were singles were no such thing; I could have sworn 'Michelle' from Rubber Soul was a single. A lot of their singles were unavailable on CD until the Past Masters collections in 1988, and I don't think there was ever a definitive vinyl collection previous to that.

Michelle was a UK no.1 hit but only as a cover version by The Overlanders.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Michelle was a UK no.1 hit but only as a cover version by The Overlanders.

Ah, OK. I've never heard it, well not knowingly. Never heard of them either, come to that.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a lot of the Beatles' singles were non-album tracks, including several of their #1s. One album (Beatles for Sale) had no singles issued from it at all.

The Beatles had a few albums without any singles from them. As well as that one, there was With The Beatles, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper, and The White Album.

They released 22 proper singles, and only 3 or 4 didn't make number one (depending on which chart you use).
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Yes...I think 'Help' was only one with more than one...had two , Help and Ticket to ride.

Amazing chart stats tho...17 (or 18 if you count please please me..number one in some charts) in 7 years. (62-69)
    and 11 studio albums, all number one (63-70)
    Astonishing work rate.

Please Please Me had two singles (The title track, and Love Me Do), and so did A Hard Days Night (The title track, and Cant Buy Me Love)
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, sorry, I meant Billie Jean was no.1. Hey, both songs begin with B haha.

And I'm not trying to make a direct comparison between MJ and Westlife, that's like trying to compare a Ferrari with a Mini. I was pointing out that I find it rather odd that an album which yielded 5 no.1 singles failed to reach the top of the album charts.
  • Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes to Hollywood spawned 3 number ones.

The 4th single (the cracking title track) was billed on posters and flyers as their 4th number one but 'flopped' to number 2.

The title track, Relax and Two Tribes were significantly different as singles than their album versions.
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

but considering Westlife back then was a new artist, a boyband, 1.5 million sales is quite big and something you can be proud of, also to mention that the album is a worldwide commercial success.

i believe the overall sales of that album is 5 million
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Am I right in saying B*Witched had 4 number ones on their debut? Very close to Westlifes