Options

The Chase (ITV) (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's just not a very good show is it? :D

The DRAMA of it all makes me laugh. When an answer is given and the host says "And the correct answer is..." Cut to contestant. Cut to THE BEAST!!!. Cut to other contestant. Cut to THE BEAST!!!. Cut to other contestant. Cut to first contestant. "...APPLES!" Cheering and whooping ensues.

I don't know why they didn't find an American quizzer to be the Chaser. Mark has lost more times than not in the ones I've seen and I'm not surprised because the questions are, obviously, based mainly on American culture.

They filmed two pilot episodes of The Chase USA a few years ago in London, with Bradley Walsh as host. Mark was the chaser for one of those episodes, whilst the other featured Jeopardy champion Brad Rutter. Mark was chosen over Rutter, but I can't understand why. In America, Rutter is by far a superior quizzer and has a good demeanor for this kind of show. I can only imagine GSN thought that Mark had more character or they picked him just because of his 'british accent' or something.

As for the drama, it pads out the concept a bit. Once you cut out the fourth player and the chaser walk-ons, despite more ad breaks you are still going to have time to fill and so they try tl add drama to every question to fill time. I've noticed that the board is also one step longer on the USA version, the same size as it was in the first series of the UK version. I'm not sure this works very well as it increases the chances of someone being caught and makes the whole thing longer and more drawn out- personally, I find the individual chases quite boring on whichever version of the show I'm watching and so lengthening them only makes them more tedious.
  • Options
    PortliusPortlius Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    The board on the US game is exactly the same as the UK version i.e. the middle option is five steps from home and the chaser starts eight from home
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Portlius wrote: »
    The board on the US game is exactly the same as the UK version i.e. the middle option is five steps from home and the chaser starts eight from home

Is it? I was sure it was longer. Maybe not, perhaps it's just the tediousness of the USA version that makes it seem longer :D.
  • Options
    JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This first player really doesn't know much at all.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member
    It's nice of Bradley, to try and be positive for them but he looked a bit daft after Simon's clueless cashbuilder.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another £1,000 taker >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A case of deja vu today as Anne met 2 in Final Chase on Wednesday with £9K in the pot.
    She lost that one but I'm certain she will win today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Question in Denise's cashbuilder, In Alice In Wonderland, what rodent attends the Mad Hatter's tea party? She gave the correct answer of dormouse but what about the march hare?
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question in Denise's cashbuilder, In Alice In Wonderland, what rodent attends the Mad Hatter's tea party? She gave the correct answer of dormouse but what about the march hare?

Hare is not a rodent.

Kerry Katona on Vogue magazine! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hare is not a rodent.

Kerry Katona on Vogue magazine! :D

According to Wikipedia, "Rabbits and hares were formerly classified in the order Rodentia ( rodent ) until 1912". Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, was published in 1865, so it was a rodent during the tea party. :D
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched en episode of US Chaser yesterday on Challenge. It was ok, Mark lost the final chase by one so the team of three (only 3 play the US version for those that don't know) won $180k. I'm surprised they don't have more than one chaser, must be tiring for Mark doing both shows and having to gen up on American style GK must make it harder again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched en episode of US Chaser yesterday on Challenge. It was ok, Mark lost the final chase by one so the team of three (only 3 play the US version for those that don't know) won $180k. I'm surprised they don't have more than one chaser, must be tiring for Mark doing both shows and having to gen up on American style GK must make it harder again.

I'm sure he's being paid good money to swat up on American General Knowledge though! The Americans like a British chaser for some reason, but if it works then why not? Mark has proven he can catch contestants on the British version, so why shouldn't GSN have him on the US version as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised to see Anne again as she was the Chaser on Friday
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surprised to see Anne again as she was the Chaser on Friday

Fancy going for the £400. What an insult to the team. I don't think they were very pleased.
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Fancy going for the £400. What an insult to the team. I don't think they were very pleased.

No,I don't think they were and I don't blame them.

He said he wanted to make sure he was in the final. But presumably he doesn't want everyone else to do the same as him and go for the low offer,or there'll be next to nothing in the prize fund. He wants others to take the risk to boost the money.

He's just told player three to go for £36K. And he took £400.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had hoped Elaine would get through. She seemed a really nice lady :(
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had hoped Elaine would get through. She seemed a really nice lady :(

They won't beat the Chaser without her, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve really did spoil their chances by going low, if he had got through with £4K then Elaine probably would have stuck on her £5K.

Not sure about Terry, being older I thought he would have been better than £2k in his cashbuilder.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really poor total so far, what a wuss Steve was for going for £400....1st one in as well >:(
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey, Steve was on fire there!
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve is an irritating so and so
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    tony321 wrote: »
    Steve is an irritating so and so

Not half! So glad Ann caught them (felt sorry for Olivia though).
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Poor Olivia, **** Steve though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve was very animated but he did play well in Final Chase, just a pity they couldn't think of tangerine.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve didn't give Olivia a chance as he answered so quickly
This discussion has been closed.